LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gonna try my hand at some glass etching soon.....just lookin for some input to get started? what are the best tools to use? any tips, tricks, ideas, etc? any good online sites?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have a craftsman etcher and it's works awsome.......I have 2 other unknown brand etchers, but they don't even come close..........I don't know if sears still sells craftsman glass etchers, but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i keep seeing this glass etching "cream" everywhere....anyone know if this is worth a shit or not??? most of the work u see on cars is done with the actual etching tool correct????

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Yes, I've heard of the cream, I guess it's like acid etching........were you mask out the pattern or design you want then brush on the cream, let it sit for awile then clean off........I've never tried it though, so don't quate me on it......

Also there is the sand blasting etching, were again you mask off you pattern and blast the area with a very fine media.........I've seen small kits at wall mart for doing glasses and stuff.........I think it's worth checking out.........I'll probably give it a try just out of curiasaty

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
i know an artist who uses two processes. i dont know jack about etching so i wont even attempt to explain it or how he does it. just noticed a lot of surface etching now adays on peeople's cars. maybe im spoiled seeing this person's skills cause everything i see now seems to look like nothing more then scratching. wish i had more pics of his work, ones with people/figures. the etching is real deep and has a 3d effect to them.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts