LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to try to make some glass etching designs of my own. Obviously I wouldn't just attack my windows without practice first :biggrin: , but I'm looking for some tips, suggestions, ideas, even some photos from those of you who have experience doing this. What types of tools should I invest in (or is a Dremel a good place to start)? It's a cool trick that you don't see on too many rides, and I'd like to do something a bit different.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was just doing some research, and it looks like I had etching and engraving confused. So now that I know there's a difference, what do people recommend for doing designs on windows and mirrors? Is there a preferred method, and why? Any help and suggestions are appreciated! :cool:

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Jan 13 2004, 02:03 PM
Well I was just doing some research, and it looks like I had etching and engraving confused. So now that I know there's a difference, what do people recommend for doing designs on windows and mirrors? Is there a preferred method, and why? Any help and suggestions are appreciated! :cool:

Cheers,
Jeff
engraving is on metal, etching is on glass

check out a eastwood catalog, they sell a etching air gun, looks just like a air brush

i just make stencils out of construction paper, or u could goto a hobby store and buy stencils already made

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really want to make my own stencils so they'll be original, but I want to make sure I know how to get them on the glass. Some hobby stores sell etching paste. Is that any good to use? Does it work or is it crap? How do the air guns work for the etching process?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want to make my own stencils so they'll be original, but I want to make sure I know how to get them on the glass. Some hobby stores sell etching paste. Is that any good to use? Does it work or is it crap? How do the air guns work for the etching process?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Jan 13 2004, 12:17 PM
I really want to make my own stencils so they'll be original, but I want to make sure I know how to get them on the glass.  Some hobby stores sell etching paste.  Is that any good to use?  Does it work or is it crap?  How do the air guns work for the etching process?

Thanks!
Jeff
the item that was referred to is called an "air eraser" ...it is basically a small sand blaster about the size of an airbrush----i have one made by pasche...........now to make your own stencils is very easy-----don't use paper because the grit of the carbonite will rip right throught it and your design will be messed up-----what you want to do is buy some "frisk" paper----it is basically like plastic paper-----what you do is trace your designs on the paper and then cut them out w/ an exacto knife---they have a small amount of adhesive on the back so they will stay in place-----also you can use masking tape to hold doen all the edges-------this is the easiest way to make stencils which you can reuse-----if you want to do free-hand drawing etc----you can always use masking tape and then cut out the designs you want right on the glass----that way only the area exposed will get the etching affect---it will look like a "frosted" affect------now people do actually engave on glass as well------the difference is engraving will give you deep lines and designs----etching will give you flat surface lines that just look frosted----------peace

"richee"

Last edited by lowriderlife at Jan 13 2004, 12:28 PM

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool...thanks for all the info so far...Now, I checked out the etching gun in the Eastwood catalog, but what about this etching "paste?" Anybody ever use it? Is it crap?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Jan 13 2004, 03:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Jan 13 2004, 03:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Badass94Cad@Jan 13 2004, 12:17 PM
I really want to make my own stencils so they'll be original, but I want to make sure I know how to get them on the glass.  Some hobby stores sell etching paste.  Is that any good to use?  Does it work or is it crap?  How do the air guns work for the etching process?

Thanks!
Jeff
the item that was referred to is called an "air eraser" ...it is basically a small sand blaster about the size of an airbrush----i have one made by pasche...........now to make your own stencils is very easy-----don't use paper because the grit of the carbonite will rip right throught it and your design will be messed up-----what you want to do is buy some "frisk" paper----it is basically like plastic paper-----what you do is trace your designs on the paper and then cut them out w/ an exacto knife---they have a small amount of adhesive on the back so they will stay in place-----also you can use masking tape to hold doen all the edges-------this is the easiest way to make stencils which you can reuse-----if you want to do free-hand drawing etc----you can always use masking tape and then cut out the designs you want right on the glass----that way only the area exposed will get the etching affect---it will look like a "frosted" affect------now people do actually engave on glass as well------the difference is engraving will give you deep lines and designs----etching will give you flat surface lines that just look frosted----------peace

"richee"[/b][/quote]
what does one of thoughs run..

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
Originally posted by regalistic+Jan 13 2004, 11:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (regalistic @ Jan 13 2004, 11:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 03:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Badass94Cad
@Jan 13 2004, 12:17 PM

Thanks!
Jeff

"richee"
what does one of thoughs run..[/b][/quote]
i believe it was $70 for the one i got out of eastwood, ive yet to use this one, its boxed up in my garage, but i know a few people that have used one and say they are great

i used another method to etch my glass the first time, im going to be doing the windsheild and rear window soon

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know I’m a little late on this topic but here it goes. First I just want it to be known that I just barely started etching last month so I’m not an expert. I just learn by trial an error. There is the method described by lowriderlife and a chemical method that you rub on. I use a Dremel multi-pro drill with diamond crystal bits. Inland has a set of 20 different bits that work great. I also use graphite paper also known as carbon paper to transfer the image onto the glass or mirror. A wax pencil is good to have on hand too.

First thing I do is simply trace picture on the surface. Here I’m practicing on an old 12x12 mirror that I used on a car display.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here is how the mirror looks after I traced the picture. Be careful not to touch it, it can rub off. With the Dremel, I just used a round bit and traced the image. You can use a cloth to lightly wipe off the excess glass.

Here it is after I have gone over it Dremel.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I can get glass if anyone needs it. Can get black, green tint, blue tint, and clear. Let me know if anyone needs it for any purpose. Here are some samples....................Clear, Blue, and Green.

Last edited by lowriders2choppers at Jan 27 2004, 02:15 AM

·
Registered
344 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52@Jan 26 2004, 11:40 AM
i do it also with a dremel but i am thinking about the spray cuz with the dremel if you do large area it comes out lumpy
I've been wanting to try it out and see how it works, post up some pics if you do it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts