LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do glass packs "go out" ive herd that they burn up and need replacing after a while is this bullshit or what?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Its true, after awhile the glass inside of them wears out, over time they get louder and louder.

Alot of people put glass packs on because they want them loud, if you are one of those people then i wouldnt really worry about it.

Also some people when they buy them, they pour alittle gas into them, roll them around on the ground alittle and then throw a match in them. Doing this burns the glass inside and then they are louder......

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so glass packs are louder than say a 40 series. im considering them cause they are like $30 shipped on the net.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Jan 11 2004, 05:25 PM
so glass packs are louder than say a 40 series. im considering them cause they are like $30 shipped on the net.
Glass packs are about 18-25 bucks or so at any automotive parts store. Go in one and ask for them. They come in different lengths so, you need to figure out how long you will need them ;)

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah but i mean im not sure if i want glass packs or not i would like to hears the tone. wish i knew which was gonna be louder. cause loud outside s fine but i dont really want to hear much o fit.

Last edited by BuThatsaCHRYSLER at Jan 11 2004, 06:39 PM

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I Fuckin love the sound of glass packs man even though they arent very good performance wise. My neighbor has them on his Chevelle SS or whatever it is but at idle he sounds like a tank. Thud Thud THud Thud! Thud Thud THud THud! Not Hella loud but load enough to hear a good distance away. I love the sound.

·
Registered
989 Posts
we had a set of the foot long cherry bombs put on our ford dually and we had em put on backwards....that 460 sure will talk to ya now :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I used to put them as far back near the bumper as possible, enough so my chrome tips would barely fit under the bumper. They crackle louder when you put them in the back. That's what i like. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I had to put the glass packs on because when I dropped my car, the mufflers would try to push through the floor.
damn they sound good!

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by C10@Jan 11 2004, 09:44 PM
is there a big difference with puttin them in backwards then puttin them in the way your supose to?
yeah, and so this one "wont blow out" http://www.dynomax.com/documents/thrushglass.pdf

lets go down the list and see which is better a 40series muffler or a common glasspack

interior noise
exterior noise
lack of visual (i hate seeing mufflers)
power
flow
durability.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
ive had my cherry bombs on since this summer and i luv em.. i luv hauling ass and letting off the gas and hearing the popping noise :biggrin: the only bad thing is in my car they rattle the inside of my car and are pretty loud inside the car..outside at idle sounds like i got a cam..for 15 bucks cant top it for the price and sound,and to me flowmaster's sound mean ass hell on a mustang gotta luv how they sound mean ass hell

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
lets go down the list and see which is better a 40series muffler or a common glasspack

interior noise - Depends. If both cars have FULL tail pipes, the motor is NOT high performance (high compression, large cam) then the 40 series will be quieter in the car. Overall, interior noise on a stock engine won't be bad. Both will be loud in the car without full tailpipes.

exterior noise - Hands down the glasspacks. Although, see above. I've heard 40 series on my 450 HP 454 that I built and they were LOUD. Because it was 450 HP. My stock 305 was pretty loud too, but I KNOW glasspacks would be louder. The 40s will sound "cleaner" though and more throaty with no crackle. The glasspacks will be very crackly and pop pop sounding.

lack of visual (i hate seeing mufflers) - Again, it depends how they are mounted. BUT The glasspacks are smaller so they have the opportunity to be hidden more. If u bend down under the car, you will llikely see the 40 series.

power The 40 series have been PROVEN to privde ample positive backpressure to help increase flow and horsepower. On a stock 190HP 350 or 140HP 305, YOU WONT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. On a 300+ HP engine, the difference will be MINIMAL. And remember, its not a drag car so 0.20 of a second wont mean SHIT. Go with which sounds best to YOU.

flow see above

durability. depends what u buy. I'd say overall about the same......

To answer your question on how it will sound:::

HAve u heard the hillbilly trucks that FLY down the road loud as hell all crackling??? They either have straight pipes or glasspacks.

Have u heard the DEEP powerful tone on many 5.0 mustangs out there? THey typically run flowmasters.

PERSONALLY on an old school lowrider.........i'd ONLY do glasspacks. Hell even a 80s G body...glasspacks. Or if you are broke...glasspacks lol

If I was building the car for performance ONLY (and performance sound) then I'd do 40 series. (mustang, camaro, etc...)

And if its a 4cyl or a 6cyl :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: just keep it quiet :biggrin:

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i can go glassakcs cause its a pontiac 400 v8 i like the sound of the 40series but i have never heard them on anything but a v6 stang a f150s

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Jan 12 2004, 04:01 PM
my opinion...

muscle cars... throw on some Flowmasters

lowriders.... glasspacks or stock exhaust
agreed how often if at all do yall replace em?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Originally posted by C10@Jan 11 2004, 09:44 PM
is there a big difference with puttin them in backwards then puttin them in the way your supose to?
if you put em in backwards there is no restrictoin

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Jan 12 2004, 08:21 PM
smitheys :biggrin:
:dunno: :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts