LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought when u disconnect battery it should run off alt whats the reason it dies the alts workin properly..batteries are good same problem on a few cars... :biggrin:
 

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
When your car is running your alternator is responsible for providing ALL of your vehicle's electrical needs. The only time your battery provides energy is when system voltage falls below that of the battery(~<12volts) such as when the vehicle is off or the alternator is unable to keep up with current demands.
Were the lights, ac, radio, etc. on when it was disconnected?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by maddogg20/20@Oct 14 2007, 06:59 PM~8999445
Were the lights, ac, radio, etc. on when it was disconnected?

nope nothing was runnin... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Is this a daily driven car?? How does the car do under hard acceleration? I would probably run the car with everything on (lights, etc), see if it dies. Sounds like a bad alternator, or "not properly functioning" alternator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the alt has to have some kind of conection to the distributor right..the battereies hooked pnly no charge wire as of yet will that effect it runnin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Oct 14 2007, 10:19 PM~9000138
the alt has to have some kind of conection to the distributor right..the battereies hooked pnly no charge wire as of yet will that effect it runnin
The alternator should feed the car's ign+ circuits when the key is in "run" (obviously, except for when the car is off)

So, yes, the alternator should have "a connection" to th e distributor.. What do you mean by "the batteries hooked only no charge wire as of yet"

Is there anything connecting the alternator to the car's ign+ (hot in "run")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 14 2007, 08:49 PM~9000404
The alternator should feed the car's ign+ circuits when the key is in "run" (obviously, except for when the car is off)

So, yes, the alternator should have "a connection" to th e distributor.. What do you mean by "the batteries hooked only no charge wire as of yet"

Is there anything connecting the alternator to the car's ign+ (hot in "run")

i havent hooked it all up yet there is no connection to the ign..it usually has a wire straight to the battery wire thats proibaly were the connection to the starter ign is goin..it runs for like 10 seconds than it quits im sure thats my issue will it run w just the battery?..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Oct 14 2007, 10:52 PM~9000430
will it run w just the battery?..
If the alternator isn't operating properly, it won't run for long
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 15 2007, 06:57 AM~9003372
If the alternator isn't operating properly, it won't run for long

well im goin to hook alt up ..i thought it would run without the wire attached... :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Oct 15 2007, 02:32 PM~9006756
well im goin to hook alt up ..i thought it would run without the wire attached... :biggrin:
:uh:
wtf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by jzgoodyz@Oct 16 2007, 05:09 AM~9012212
:uh:
wtf

what thought car would run off batterty for like 5 minutes without charge wire... :uh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Oct 16 2007, 04:16 AM~9012219
what thought car would run off batterty for like 5 minutes without charge wire... :uh:
:roflmao:

so you fixed it then right?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top