LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone a GM Goodwrench mechanic? I want to get a tune up on my 2007 Cadillac DTS.. I'm at 50K and I want to know what should be done and what they do for that mileage on the tune up.

Also should I have the plugs replaced? I want to replace them with a high end spark plug what else would you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody,,, any certified mechanics???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
check your OWNERS MANUAL that will tell you what needs to be done at 50,000 miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah and I can go online and see it to, but that's not what I'm really lookin for. I want the real deal info not the cookie cutter dry shit that is in the book or on the website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
Originally posted by jonjay206@Jan 22 2010, 03:03 PM~16377774
yeah and I can go online and see it to, but that's not what I'm really lookin for.  I want the real deal info not the cookie cutter dry shit that is in the book or on the website.
THATS WHAT THEY GO BY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
Spark plugs last close to 100k. No need to worry about them now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by REYXTC+Jan 22 2010, 09:27 PM~16381525-->
Spark plugs last close to 100k.  No need to worry about them now.
[/b]
So you wouldn't suggest new ones even tho they probably increase HP and MPG?


<!--QuoteBegin-slo
@Jan 24 2010, 12:37 AM~16391703
50k everything is still holding up good esp in a caddy
So I should just do the, I need the 50k tune up and let them do there thing?


I would like to make a few changes that would be beneficial for me like increase HP and MPG, I'm not tryin to get any serious numbers but just smart replacements that would help while the cars gettin the tune up.


thanks for the replies!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone had experience with the E-3 Spark plug???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,912 Posts
Originally posted by REYXTC@Jan 22 2010, 08:27 PM~16381525
Spark plugs last close to 100k.  No need to worry about them now.
x2 GM uses platinum plugs that last up to 100k miles. You can always install double platinum plugs for better spark. That doesn't mean they'll last twice as long but you will get a better spark.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,068 Posts
Platinum plugs or ac delco's, new plug wires, new air filter, oil & filter change, and check belts for wear. other than that, you can flush the coolant, brake fluid, and trans fluid/filter/gasket.

Save yourself some $$$ and either do it yourself, or go to a small reputable reapir shop. Labor rates can vary a lot between dealerships and small mom & pop shops but in the end, it's the same work being done ;)
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
18,723 Posts
Those engines dont have plug wires just boots. 8 boots alone is $50.

Cadillac recommends and cadillac enthusiasts know to use only ac delco platinum plug. Not double platinum, not triple quadrouple platinum, just the ac delco platinum plug. If you dont you WILL lose your valuable horsepower. Plugs are gimmicky to get your business. Cars nowadays especially the northstar have been designed with one plug in mind. If you use something else youll have problems. Read up on cadillac forums about it.

If you read your service manual you would see what is recommended for service intervals. Besides oil changes and "preventative" not necessary fluid flushes your first real service is at 100k miles to change the plugs.

Northstar engines are built and designed to maximize every single available horsepower. They are designed to be high performance engines and shouldnt be babied. You cant tune them, you cant upgrade them, you can only ruin them by adding things that werent originally designed for it. Cadillac says to never use snake oils in the engine or gas. A K&N filter and maybe exhaust is the most you can do!! Dont put on the cheap cold air intakes because the airbox sits over the computer and is designed to draw air over the computer to keep it cool.

Cleaning the carbon out of your engine by doing the WOT procedure will keep the engine in tip top shape. To learn more about this procedure and your engine and car visit caddyinfo.com or cadillacforums.com If you want to search for specific topics do a google search and visit results from these 2 topics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Jan 26 2010, 06:43 PM~16421056
Those engines dont have plug wires just boots.  8 boots alone is $50.

Cadillac recommends and cadillac enthusiasts know to use only ac delco platinum plug.  Not double platinum, not triple quadrouple platinum, just the ac delco platinum plug.  If you dont you WILL lose your valuable horsepower.  Plugs are gimmicky to get your business.  Cars nowadays especially the northstar have been designed with one plug in mind.  If you use something else youll have problems.  Read up on cadillac forums about it. 

If you read your service manual you would see what is recommended for service intervals.  Besides oil changes and "preventative" not necessary fluid flushes your first real service is at 100k miles to change the plugs. 

Northstar engines are built and designed to maximize every single available horsepower.  They are designed to be high performance engines and shouldnt be babied.  You cant tune them, you cant upgrade them, you can only ruin them by adding things that werent originally designed for it.  Cadillac says to never use snake oils in the engine or gas.  A K&N filter and maybe exhaust is the most you can do!!  Dont put on the cheap cold air intakes because the airbox sits over the computer and is designed to draw air over the computer to keep it cool. 

Cleaning the carbon out of your engine by doing the WOT procedure will keep the engine in tip top shape.  To learn more about this procedure and your engine and car visit caddyinfo.com or cadillacforums.com  If you want to search for specific topics do a google search and visit results from these 2 topics.
thats right i wouldnt use anyother plugs except the dealer plugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Johnny562+Jan 26 2010, 04:57 PM~16419673-->
x2 GM uses platinum plugs that last up to 100k miles. You can always install double platinum plugs for better spark. That doesn't mean they'll last twice as long but you will get a better spark.
[/b]

Thanks for the info

<!--QuoteBegin-CoupeDTS
@Jan 26 2010, 06:43 PM~16421056
Those engines dont have plug wires just boots.  8 boots alone is $50.

Cadillac recommends and cadillac enthusiasts know to use only ac delco platinum plug.  Not double platinum, not triple quadrouple platinum, just the ac delco platinum plug.  If you dont you WILL lose your valuable horsepower.  Plugs are gimmicky to get your business.  Cars nowadays especially the northstar have been designed with one plug in mind.  If you use something else youll have problems.  Read up on cadillac forums about it. 

If you read your service manual you would see what is recommended for service intervals.  Besides oil changes and "preventative" not necessary fluid flushes your first real service is at 100k miles to change the plugs. 

Northstar engines are built and designed to maximize every single available horsepower.  They are designed to be high performance engines and shouldnt be babied.  You cant tune them, you cant upgrade them, you can only ruin them by adding things that werent originally designed for it.  Cadillac says to never use snake oils in the engine or gas.  A K&N filter and maybe exhaust is the most you can do!!  Dont put on the cheap cold air intakes because the airbox sits over the computer and is designed to draw air over the computer to keep it cool. 

Cleaning the carbon out of your engine by doing the WOT procedure will keep the engine in tip top shape.  To learn more about this procedure and your engine and car visit caddyinfo.com or cadillacforums.com  If you want to search for specific topics do a google search and visit results from these 2 topics.

See thats what I'm talkin about, You get conflicting info once in a while so thats why I asked.... WOT is that the down shift to 2nd and mash it up to redline and do that a few times????
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
18,723 Posts
Originally posted by jonjay206@Jan 29 2010, 03:46 PM~16453102
Thanks for the info
See thats what I'm talkin about,  You get conflicting info once in a while so thats why I asked....  WOT is that the down shift to 2nd and mash it up to redline and do that a few times????
yea, basically set in 2nd, at 40mph floor it WOT (wide open throttle) to 70mph then coast back to 40 then floor it back up to 70, do that 10 times. Once a month if you get a chance or every few months. It cleans out the carbon in the engine and seats the piston rings. Its hard to do on a busy interstate and people will wonder what the fuck ur doin lol
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top