LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my front air bags hooked up and it seems like it takes forever to lift the front end up (about 4 seconds or so) and it can drop the front in 1 second or less. Does it just take longer because of the weight it has to lift? I am running 3/8" ports on my bags and 3/8" valves. Is there anyway to speed up the lift time?? Other than getting bigger port bags and bigger valves?? thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah i 2nd the raisin the psi. Cause if it drops as fast as you want then the port size is fine. Also how big of a tank are you running? What kinda shocks are you using if any?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Crank up the PSI on the pressure switch.
or get a larger tank that doesn't deplete so fast
or run slightly bigger lines
or get a higher Cv 3/8" valve
or rip out your engine so there is less weight :biggrin: LOL

·
Registered
310 Posts
you can speed it up by running the line from the port to the air bag with no 90's...also move the valve as close to the air bag as posisble,...the air slows down as it moves through the line and also loses pressure, you want minimal distrance from lift valve to bag
it also depends on what valves you use,...3 ways are naturally slow on lifting, well slow altogether that is, but with 2 ways you can fine tune it

if the air going from the lift valve to the bag is a straight shot it will speed it up, plus you want minimal turns in the setup, try running only 1 90 degree fitting, that is the one going from bag to dump valve. For every 90 degree fitting it is the same as adding 8-9 inchs of line 90's REALLY slow your shit down

thats also a false rumor, don't bother running bigger line, your setup is only as fast as the smallest port on the system...you can run everything 1" with nitrogen,..but use a 1/4" bag or 1/4" valve, you got a 1/4" setup, it takes the air the same amount of time to go through a certain size port no matter how big the air line is

holler if you need more help, this hydraulic stuff is all new to me, but i know my air setups...i got some pics you can look at if you want me to send them to you,...some of my mild-to-wild setups

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using about 100 psi just for testing so far. My driving height psi will be about 80-90. I have a 90 degree elbow at each air bag because of the limited space i have there. I have everything hooked up to an air bar so i guess that is about 3 90 degree fittings per bag. I just hooked it up straight to my shop air compressor right now which is about a 60 gallon air tank! :0 I am running manual valves. More PSI might be than answer? I don't really want to exceed 100 PSI in my bags but i could put more PSI in my tank say 150? then open the front valves to give it more boost right away then stop them when they reach 100 PSI??

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
running 150 psi is mandatory fool

i have seen tanks go to 300 psi and i run my system to 200 psi

and i have ran it at 350

Last edited by joebomber52 at Jan 5 2004, 09:20 AM

·
Registered
677 Posts
Originally posted by Schimel750@Jan 5 2004, 03:48 AM

thats also a false rumor, don't bother running bigger line, your setup is only as fast as the smallest port on the system...you can run everything 1" with nitrogen,..but use a 1/4" bag or 1/4" valve, you got a 1/4" setup, it takes the air the same amount of time to go through a certain size port no matter how big the air line is

What I was refering to here was that chances are he was using 3/8" OD lines...so he'd actually be running with 1/4" lines.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by joebomber52@Jan 5 2004, 10:14 AM

150 in what? bags? tank?

·
Registered
856 Posts
run 150 psi in the tank, even if you hold the switch open, the bags wouldnt get 150 psi each.remember there is air line and two bags and the tank also.you will never have higher psi in the bags then in the tank.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by PJ_STYLES+Jan 5 2004, 10:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PJ_STYLES @ Jan 5 2004, 10:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--joebomber52@Jan 5 2004, 10:14 AM

150 in what? bags? tank?[/b][/quote]
tank :cool:
yoda is right trust him the force is with him

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Originally posted by PJ_STYLES@Jan 5 2004, 10:58 AM
I am using about 100 psi just for testing so far. My driving height psi will be about 80-90. I have a 90 degree elbow at each air bag because of the limited space i have there. I have everything hooked up to an air bar so i guess that is about 3 90 degree fittings per bag. I just hooked it up straight to my shop air compressor right now which is about a 60 gallon air tank! :0 I am running manual valves. More PSI might be than answer? I don't really want to exceed 100 PSI in my bags but i could put more PSI in my tank say 150? then open the front valves to give it more boost right away then stop them when they reach 100 PSI??
what size is the lines from the compressor tank to the bags...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK i cranked up my shop compressor regulator too 150 PSI and man what a difference! :cheesy: It cut the lift time in about 1/2 (maybe even more)! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep 150 PSI in my truck tank at all times. I have more hose than the average setup because the hoses run from the bags to inside my cab to my manual valves, then from there i have a a hose going to the tank, so it kinda backtracks for a few feet. But i am going to make the hoses as short as possible for less air consumption.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Originally posted by PJ_STYLES@Jan 5 2004, 06:07 PM
OK i cranked up my shop compressor regulator too 150 PSI and man what a difference! :cheesy: It cut the lift time in about 1/2 (maybe even more)! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep 150 PSI in my truck tank at all times. I have more hose than the average setup because the hoses run from the bags to inside my cab to my manual valves, then from there i have a a hose going to the tank, so it kinda backtracks for a few feet. But i am going to make the hoses as short as possible for less air consumption.
cool man, glad to hear you got it..

i keep 175 PSI in my 12 gallon tank...

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by PJ_STYLES@Jan 5 2004, 04:07 PM
you ever think about electric valves

·
Registered
310 Posts
yeah man, PSI is the big deal in everything. We got a body dropped S-10 and we ran the front (2600's) up to 500 PSI on the nitrogen bottle, front straight hopped about 9 inchs,...didn't last long though!

yeah you will need around 150 to do anything with...you can run your setup at 200 PSI all day, even with Firestone bags, but if you get in the mix of it,...try some Slams, we are actually gonna be puttin about 450 in some 1/2 Slams tonight as a matter of fact, i'm leavin in a minute to go buy fitings and what not,...i'll let you all know what happens!!!

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by Schimel750@Jan 5 2004, 06:56 PM
yeah man, PSI is the big deal in everything. We got a body dropped S-10 and we ran the front (2600's) up to 500 PSI on the nitrogen bottle, front straight hopped about 9 inchs,...didn't last long though!

yeah you will need around 150 to do anything with...you can run your setup at 200 PSI all day, even with Firestone bags, but if you get in the mix of it,...try some Slams, we are actually gonna be puttin about 450 in some 1/2 Slams tonight as a matter of fact, i'm leavin in a minute to go buy fitings and what not,...i'll let you all know what happens!!!
hey i have rs 2600 slams...let me know how the testing gos if you all have the same :biggrin:

·
Registered
856 Posts
have you tried mounting the switches in the dash? it might take a few feet off the length. also look into some smc or parker electric valves 3/8 maybe 1/2 if you want a little faster and their not really all that expensive. check ebay or team pneumatik.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts