LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY I NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE WHAT ARE SOME OF THE FISRT STEPS TO PAINTING, PRIMING, AND WHATEVER ELSE IS INVOLED PLEASE HELP :cool:

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
the first steps to painting your car, is good body work and getting it clean before sprayin... once thats done its easy ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yeah imma attempt it too. i kinda got shitty paint on it right now so i'm thinking these are the steps.

rough sand
primer
blocksand
base coat
clear coat

anything i miss? :dunno: i'm just going for a basic paint job....nuthin fancy. ;)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Originally posted by 1lownissan@Dec 23 2003, 01:52 PM
yeah imma attempt it too. i kinda got shitty paint on it right now so i'm thinking these are the steps.

rough sand
primer
blocksand
base coat
clear coat

anything i miss? :dunno: i'm just going for a basic paint job....nuthin fancy. ;)
i havent painted a car b4 but like , u want ya metal to be clean , dint free , then prep the metal lay down some base or primer or what ever , then ya colours then ya clear and wet sand each coat before layin down a new coat

·
Registered
131 Posts
Prime, wetsand 1000grit or 1500, tack cloth entire surface, basecoat, flash 15 min., 2nd coat basecoat, flash 15 min., 3rd coat base depending on coverage, wetsand 1000-1500, tack, 1st coat Clearcoat, apply second coat when clear is dry to touch...not stringy. More coats of clear the better. That is pretty much the steps to a basic paintjob.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Originally posted by IndianaRyder@Dec 24 2003, 06:00 PM
Prime, wetsand 1000grit or 1500, tack cloth entire surface, basecoat, flash 15 min., 2nd coat basecoat, flash 15 min., 3rd coat base depending on coverage, wetsand 1000-1500, tack, 1st coat Clearcoat, apply second coat when clear is dry to touch...not stringy. More coats of clear the better. That is pretty much the steps to a basic paintjob.
thats what i did....and just so ppl can learn from my mistakes DO NOT USE TOWELS THAT WERE WASHED WITH FABRIC SOFTENER!!! lol stupid mistake lead to fish eyes...had to redo it all

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by 1lownissan@Dec 22 2003, 06:52 PM

rough sand
primer
blocksand
base coat
clear coat

HEY HOMIE I THINK I CAN HELP YOU OUT.
FIRST TAKE WHAT YOU CAN OFF THE CAR i.e. trim, door handles,etc
2nd if your body is striaght get three different sizes of sanding boards (long, medium, short)and five different grits of sand paper.
100, 150, 320, 600, 1500,
start blocking with 100 grit on the large areas on your car (like the hood trunk and sides of the car) the smaller blocks are for smaller areas being careful of the edges stop when you see metal.
still with me
what this does it use your old paint as a filler and shows you all the high and low spots and makes a good fondation for the primer
once you are done with that step the car should be masked off (door jambs hood and trunk jambs, windows, etc) get a high quality 2 part high solids primer filler i use standox very good stuff.

if you want your car striaght this the only way to do it. its alot of hard work and if you are up to it i will walk you threw it
if you want somethink more easy then scuff the paint with scotch brite pads and shoot

if you want to know more?

more to come tomarrow

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Flash time will depend on the product you use. On napa paint that i use its usually 5 mins. Ask ur paint supplier on how long flash will take. Why wet sand the primer with 1000 - 1500 grit sandpaper? Iv painted 3 cars and wetsanded with 400 and it came out fine. Good Luck, Chris

·
Registered
949 Posts
unless repairs or show job are needed
wet rub your old paint with 320 .
shoot some 2part high fill primer .
wet rub with 600-800 then base then clear ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts