LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the good type of gold plating and whats the bad type that chips off in a few years ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by noe_from_texas@Sep 10 2005, 08:43 AM~3787546
ask wickeddragon
naw thats alright, i would rather hear it from lildevillelb or somebody else who knows.... ;)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
if gold chips off means not good prepping beforethe nickle plating... i've never seen gold chip.. i see'n gold fade... but not chip.... and gold fades when u dont take care of it... wether if its gold dip or gold plated... still fades.... we do some bad ass gold plating and we got the tanks for the gold dipping its just not setup yet...gunna set up the gold dip by next year that shits gunna take alot of money to get that up n running...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by tRiCk oR tReAt 2@Sep 10 2005, 08:49 AM~3787561
if gold chips off means not good prepping beforethe nickle plating... i've never seen gold chip.. i see'n gold fade... but not chip.... and gold fades when u dont take care of it... wether if its gold dip or gold plated... still fades.... we do some bad ass gold plating and we got the tanks for the gold dipping its just not setup yet...gunna set up the gold dip by next year that shits gunna take alot of money to get that up n running...
Because I went to a show a few weeks ago, and I saw a bike there and the gold plating was actaully chipping/pealing off. I should of took pics but I didnt.. So how do you take good care of the gold plating so it dont fades ?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
no chrome plating doesnt fade...gold plating fades by rubbing on it too much... if u use any type of chromepolish on the gold it will wipe it right off... the way gold chips n peals off would be if they didnt polish it good enough when they copper plated and nickle plated unless its cheap and they just went str8 nickle and gold... and no copper which is prolly wut they did and could be the reason why it chipppped...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by tRiCk oR tReAt 2@Sep 10 2005, 08:55 AM~3787581
no chrome plating doesnt fade...gold plating fades by rubbing on it too much... if u use any type of chromepolish on the gold it will wipe it right off... the way gold chips n peals off would be if they didnt polish it good enough when they copper plated and nickle plated unless its cheap and they just went str8 nickle and gold... and no copper which is prolly wut they did and could be the reason why it chipppped...
ooo ok, What if I got it dipped more then once ? Would it help it from fading ?

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Originally posted by tRiCk oR tReAt 2@Sep 10 2005, 10:55 AM~3787581
true I go to car shows every thursday (type of show and shine I guess)
but most the cars are original from 40s 50s and 60s so I'm guessing your plating will fade after 40 years or so lol
also, no lowriders what so ever there, I'm sure they're welcomed just never show up

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
no cause u cant put too much it'll burn the gold.... just like chrome if u put tooo much chrome it'll burn.... tleast the chrome u could color buff it if it burns a little bit...and yeah chrome could fadew but its more of it gets worn out and tarnished

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
i knew a couple of people that would clear coat the gold with some stuff called bull dog.they use to clear new rims and stuff that would tend to get faded faster..but then you got to be good at clearing cause theres not taking it off after.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You basically got your answer from trick or treat. he covered pretty much everything.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by lowjoker77@Sep 10 2005, 07:30 PM~3789467
ok who chrome and gold plates on here i am going to need a plater soon as soon as i get my parts
I can give it to the platers i deal with. Just PM me a list and desription of the parts and i'll get you a price

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Originally posted by noe_from_texas@Sep 10 2005, 05:43 PM~3787546
ask wickeddragon
WTF? You sayin his plating sux? :mad:

I take care of my gold plating with gold polish cloths I get at a local jewler. They're soft flannel that has the gold polish built in. The rag turns black when you use it to show that you're actually collecting dirt you can't see on your gold. :cool:

Chrome plating DOES fade or dull over time. After dry polishing your chrome many times it'll start to dull. Always use polish when cleaning up your chrome to protect it ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts