LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,
I'll let you know where I'm at.
I've got everything done on this engine. I (attempted) to time it and I have the carb on it and everything.

So I tried to start it by dripping a few drops of fuel into the carb. It started and then cut off....but I can't get it to start without manually putting gas into it.

I did take the gas line off to see if gas is reaching the carb and it is so I guess the pump is ok.

this is how I have the carb hooked up:

The middle one is going to the rocker cover...(I heard someone say it was a gas line but the picture says differently..)

And I have the gas going to where the one in the pic is, over on the top left side.

Anyway, I didn't really do anything with the choke or anything on that side, and the butterfly thing gets stuckon the spring if I move it by hand. Not sure if that matters...

Also I tried to move the distributor and it would backfire, but If I put it back to where it was it wouldn't. it backfired both from the tailpipe and through the carb on various positions.

PROBLEM #2

After attempting to start it a few times the battery started dying so I needed to jump it. I tried to put the car in neutral and roll it up a little so the jumper cables would reach the other car and I couldn't budge the gear shifter. It is stuck in park. :dunno:

any help is very much appreciated...

by the way, chevy 350, 650cfm eddlebrock, going in a 79' grand Prix with a th350 tranny.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
is the choke opening?

im saying cuz on my cutlass i have to press the gas like 3 or 4 times and crank it and turns on for like 5 seconds and then i pump it again and turn it on and give it gas and it stays one. but then again i got a bad carb.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Jul 24 2005, 07:41 PM
ok,
I'll let you know where I'm at.
I've got everything done on this engine. I (attempted) to time it and I have the carb on it and everything.
So I tried to start it by dripping a few drops of fuel into the carb. It started and then cut off....but I can't get it to start without manually putting gas into it.

I did take the gas line off to see if gas is reaching the carb and it is so I guess the pump is ok.

this is how I have the carb hooked up:

The middle one is going to the rocker cover...(I heard someone say it was a gas line but the picture says differently..)

And I have the gas going to where the one in the pic is, over on the top left side.
Anyway, I didn't really do anything with the choke or anything on that side, and the butterfly thing gets stuckon the spring if I move it by hand. Not sure if that matters...

Also I tried to move the distributor and it would backfire, but If I put it back to where it was it wouldn't. it backfired both from the tailpipe and through the carb on various positions.

PROBLEM #2

After attempting to start it a few times the battery started dying so I needed to jump it. I tried to put the car in neutral and roll it up a little so the jumper cables would reach the other car and I couldn't budge the gear shifter. It is stuck in park. :dunno:
any help is very much appreciated...

by the way, chevy 350, 650cfm eddlebrock,  going in a 79' grand Prix with a th350 tranny.
[snapback]3470872[/snapback]​
Dan, if the carb is hooked up per the picture then it is fine.

When you say that it started then cut off do you mean that it actually started to run then stopped? Or do you just mean that it fired a couple of times then backfired and stopped? You could have your plug wires on wrong (18436572 going clockwise usually starting from 2 wires up counterclockwise of the point where the tach/battery wire plugs in, clockwise from there) or your distributor could be 180 degrees out of phase. ---one of these 2 sound most likely because of the backfiring that you are seeing when moving the distributor. Double check the plug wire order and if its correct then pull the distributor out and put the rotor 180 degress from where it is now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey man check your fuel filter to make sure you put it in the right way.... LOL If you put it in backwards you want get no gas to the carb...

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I took out the dist. and turned the rotor 180 degrees and put it back in. It did the same thing. I'm still getting flames out of the carb and sometimes the exhaust will backfire. Am I doing something wrong?

I checked the filter, it is going the right direction...

I'll attach a picture of how my wires are hooked up.

I did get the gear shifter unstuck. I put some tranny fluid in it because I lost some when I took out the torque converter and it started to shift.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
man either you have the timing chain off a knotch or two or you have the wires crossed... For some reason that pic of the wires looks backwards to me but i could be wrong... I haven't worked on a 350 in a while... but i hope you get it right soon...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
manually work the throttle linkage and see if fuel squirts into the carb. What is your timing set at? Get a timing light and check the timing. Has the valve lash been adjusted?

·
Registered
625 Posts
now that youve had the dist out and it still isnt working, unless you find that its lining up with the number 1 wire on the cap, take it back out, roll it over to tdc by covering the #1 spark plug hole and wait till it builds pressure. at the top of that stroke you will be at tdc. put the dist back in. point the vac advance to the pass headlight. this should give you plenty of room for adjustment either way. mark the dist where your number 1 wire should be, put the cap back on and see where your wires are at, move wires if needed.

ive had to use an old water bottle w/ gas in it to keep it running for a little bit until the fuel line is full-pressured-no air and the carb is on float. if you can keep it running long enough to pull the vac of the vac advance and set initial timing youll be good to go once your fuel has gotten to the carb. its like 6-8 degrees initial.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
That picture is not correct, put the harmonic balancer lined up with the timing tab and take the cap off the distributor. You will see the rotor will be lined about where #5 is in the picture. Or, it will be 180 off. Put your wires on so that #1 is about where 5 is. Like I said above, it should be 2 wires up from where the plug on the bottom is. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what should the harmonic balancer be on? it says from 0 degrees to like 10 or 16 I think. should it be on 0 degrees?

·
49,409 Posts
A car often backfires if the plugs are fouled too

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The engine is finally running...

It sounds pretty good. BIG difference from the 305. I turned the dist. a little and got it where I want it (till I can get a timing light).

I have one problem, I tried to test drive it and when I put the shifter in drive nothing happened. I can go in reverse, L, and S but no drive... :dunno:

The only thing that I can think of is maybe the the shift cable for the tranny is bad. This would be the second cable in one year. The gears are kinda mushy, unlike before I put the engine in. But it was stuck the other day and I got it to go into gear so maybe I messed it up trying to put it in gear.

There is fluid and the tranny vacuum is connected.

I dont have the cable that goes from the tranny to the carb because I don't have a bracket for it. I didn't know if I didn't need it or if I should tie it down to something so it could be used for a short time so that I could drive it home.

What does it do anyway?

·
Registered
240 Posts
i believe that cable is for when you hit the gas it will down shift the tranny.... but i could be wrong.... It sounds to me that your tranny might be bad if it is not going into drive.... But yo don't need drive if you got reverse... You just have to drive it backwards...LOL

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by caddyshack@Jul 27 2005, 05:08 AM
i believe that cable is for when you hit the gas it will down shift the tranny.... but i could be wrong.... It sounds to me that your tranny might be bad if it is not going into drive.... But yo don't need drive if you got reverse... You just have to drive it backwards...LOL
[snapback]3488715[/snapback]​

damn...

yea, i'll take a look at the tranny cable (shifter cable) and see if it is bad. hopefully it is because thats only a 20 dollar fix.

So can I get away with rigging the cable that goes to the carb?

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by caddyshack@Jul 27 2005, 04:08 AM
[snapback]3488715[/snapback]​
I believe this is true as well. You shouldn't need that cable just to get it in gear though, so that's not necessarily a good thing. You will need it to downshift automatically though.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Jul 27 2005, 12:33 PM
damn...
yea, i'll take a look at the tranny cable (shifter cable) and see if it is bad. hopefully it is because thats only a 20 dollar fix.
So can I get away with rigging the cable that goes to the carb?
[snapback]3490125[/snapback]​
On a TH350 it is just truly the downshift cable. You can drive the car without it even connected. HAving it disconnnected will not affect the transmissions ability to go into a certain gear.

A 700R4 or 200R4 however, it is the TV (throttle valve) cable and MUST be connected to upshift properly!!!

So, you say it won't physically shift into D? Or are you saying that if you are driving you only feel shifting from 1 to 2? Maybe your linkage is just OFF a bit and the DRIVE gear is actually just a bit upward (toward N) or downward (toward 2) a bit. I'd start with it in neutral and just BARELY move it down until it catches into gear, that should be Drive.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts