LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to redo my friends top and I need to know what is the best way to get the stock glue off?Ive done 2 vinyl tops but the cars were painted hardtops so it was easy ofcourse.Ive taken off one top on a cadi and we sanded the OG glue off and it sucked...and I dont wanna work with aircraft stripper.What methods have worked well for some of you?Im looking for a quick way to get it off...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I used a adhesive remover that comes in a spray can made by 3m sprayed it on then used a plastic or metal puddy knife and scraped it off just let the stuff soak up for a couple of mins.might have to do the same spot more than once but it worked really good for me good luck homie!!! :cool:

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by fantamonte@Jan 14 2009, 10:37 PM~12709932
I used a adhesive remover that comes in a spray can made by 3m sprayed it on then used a plastic or metal puddy knife and scraped it off just let the stuff soak up for a couple of mins.might have to do the same spot more than once but it worked really good for me good luck homie!!! :cool:
Yup. Adhesive remover. :biggrin:

G

·
i always seen people glue 1\8th inch foam over the old glued surface then they glued the vinal to the foam and it look good

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We pulled the top off yesterday and It came off without leaving any glue.The shitty part was rust,from the factory they never filled in the seam where the roof comes toghether,the paint under the vinyl was perfect...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Something else you can use, and it worked best for me was brake cleaner. It wont leave a residue that will give reactions on the paint if you paint the top later. Just in case anyone else needs to do it in the future.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Jan 18 2009, 03:50 PM~12742430
Yup.  Adhesive remover.  :biggrin:
How much of this 3m Adhesive remover would I need to tackle this job? And where can I get this stuff?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
A PUTTY KNIFE AND HOT HOT WATER.....TAP YOUR GARDEN HOSE INTO THE WASHING MACHINE HOT WATER SPIGGET

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
brake cleaner bro, its faster. Grab a couple different brands, I cant remember which one was best. I tried adhesive remover also.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
What about completely removing it and leaving just the sheet metal undrneath?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would personaly use 1/8 or 1/4 of a inch thick depending how you like it better foam can be found anywhere really just got to look it up in your city phone book or order of us DEMlowridaz but where in calgary, canada

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
what is the most common size foam used on tops for a g-body 1/4 or 1/8????

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Originally posted by fantamonte@May 7 2009, 09:51 PM~13822293
:dunno: anyone!!

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by fantamonte@May 7 2009, 11:51 PM~13822293
I would guess that it's 1/8" but 1/4" should work to since it will be somewhat compressed with the material stretched tight. I would just call up a couple interior shops and ask what they suggest and how much for just the foam or with them doing the top.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
an interior guy i know been doing it 30 years and he uses a 1/4" black foam that is super dense foam. Pretty hard to squeeze type stuff not like headliner foam. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Originally posted by ScandalusSeville83@May 20 2009, 01:00 PM~13946975
Lol, I always see it misspelled and it drives me nuts.  But there's no point in correcting people because they never get it :uh: :)
Makes it hard to search for what you need. Ebay should have a idiot proof setting. Ive seen alot of hydraulic shit on there for sale as hydrualic

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@May 20 2009, 07:15 PM~13950532
Makes it hard to search for what you need.  Ebay should have a idiot proof setting.  Ive seen alot of hydraulic shit on there for sale as hydrualic

Idiot proof settings would be wonderful in so many places. Or people could just make use of the spellcheck feature available in most text windows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts