LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
"LESSON LEARNED"
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
prob not the correct forum to put this but "vehicle parts" gets alot of traffic and i need an answer asap!! so the deal is im having issues with the back of my tie rods wanting to rub against the front of the crossmember when turning. The frame is full wrapped as well is the crossmember but we only used 3/16 steel! I just need to know if someone has ever had this usse before? I see alot of rides with wrapped and smooth crossmembers but they have no rubbing issue?How far does the tie rod normally sit from the crossmember on a stock crossmember? Im just tryin to figure out if we got too much metal in the front or if im putting something together wrong? heres some pics of how it is setup right now for you to examine..somebody check my shit before i go do somethin i might not need too!!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You need to bend the center link to pull the back of the tie rods away from the cross member thats what i need to do with my cutlass thats 3/16 wrapped and ill have to do the same to my 64 getting 3/16 also im sure.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Yeah, I straightened mine out first before chrome. That area is really close even on stock impalas. And even if its just close and not rubbing, if you plan on gas hopping car, the can move back and leave marks, due to flex in control arm bushings.

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Your tie rods are on backwards... the adjustable "sleeved" end goes on the steering knuckle, not on the centerlink as it is in this pic.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
No that center link is on right . If anybody has pics of wher to bend and what itlooks like bent would be nice im going to have to do this also

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jan 2 2009, 09:34 PM~12588616
Your tie rods are on backwards... the adjustable "sleeved" end goes on the steering knuckle, not on the centerlink as it is in this pic.
Damn Jason you got a good eye i missed that

·
"LESSON LEARNED"
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jan 2 2009, 08:34 PM~12588616
yeah i know they was backwards..we tryed it because the short ones looked alil slimmer and we thought it might clear!!good eye though!

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by DOUGHBOY1117@Jan 2 2009, 10:39 PM~12588652
yeah i know they was backwards..we tryed it because the short ones looked alil slimmer and we thought it might clear!!good eye though!
Well, i had this EXACT same problem on my car because i put em on backwards too, it was hitting the frame.... changed them around and it cleared. I would at least try it before you start bending, worked for me.

·
"LESSON LEARNED"
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jan 2 2009, 09:50 PM~12589524
Well, i had this EXACT same problem on my car because i put em on backwards too, it was hitting the frame.... changed them around and it cleared. I would at least try it before you start bending, worked for me.
i had them the other way before i put them on backwards and still had the clearance issues,im gonna switch them back before i do any bending of anything just to be safe!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
yeah i had that happen too. i just hit the crossmember a few times with a sledge hammer but yours is all pretty already so you may not wanna do that.

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
Originally posted by supercoolguy@Jan 3 2009, 02:45 PM~12594217
yeah i had that happen too. i just hit the crossmember a few times with a sledge hammer but yours is all pretty already so you may not wanna do that.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i think the center link is bent. Buy a new one and ebay that one away. I used a port-a-pump with a wedge spreader to straighten mine. If you turn the wheels you can slip in the wedge between the center link and the lower a-arm bushing and bend from there instead of the frame.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I heated one up a little, and just put it in vice to straighten it.

As far as for the future, I shave off the front lip on all the frames I do. When I burn it off, and before I weld back up, I hit the front of cross member with heavy hammer back, especially in areas where the tie rods come close. Than I weld it up, and than I plate it. I spend alot of time making sure that the plate is as close as possible to the stock frame, no gap. One of these times, Im gunna cut the whole front of cross member out and move the whole front back, just hav'nt had the balls to do it yet. You gotta make sure the whole front is braced up good, cuz when the lip comes off, things get hairy, so it sares me a little to remove whole section.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts