LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
paid 19.99 for it at the junkyard plus the 5.00 warranty. i cleaned it all up and took the clutch off and found out its the middle one in terms of output, puts out 8.69 CI, im guessin cubic inches per rotation? www.onboardair.com

now i just need to collect the bags, valves and a tank and ill be set, might as well start with the compressor and work my way from there.

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by DusterNut@Jun 30 2003, 08:54 PM
paid 19.99 for it at the junkyard plus the 5.00 warranty. i cleaned it all up and took the clutch off and found out its the middle one in terms of output, puts out 8.69 CI, im guessin cubic inches per rotation? www.onboardair.com

now i just need to collect the bags, valves and a tank and ill be set, might as well start with the compressor and work my way from there.
how do you know what kind of York will fit your ride, do you just guess or ask the guy at the junk yard?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think they are all the same externally and just use different brackets to fit the different engines. if im wrong, fuck it, ill make it fit!

·
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by DusterNut@Jun 30 2003, 09:48 PM
i think they are all the same externally and just use different brackets to fit the different engines. if im wrong, fuck it, ill make it fit!
how big is yours? I've seen Big Dan's already and that shyt looks pretty huge.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mines the same size as Dan's, its not really that big, the stock as compresser is alot longer. im gonna lay mine on its side the same way it was mounted in the car i got it from.

·
14,255 Posts
That's freakin crazy. I seen a york on E-bay and they were chargin like a bill or more for it. WHat kind of yard you get it from, I kind of want a york to :(

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it outta a late 70s ford pickup, i think fords mostly used them and so did dodges. just get a pic of the york and go get one. i got mine from the self service oldies goodies yard in santa paula here.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by DusterNut@Jul 1 2003, 05:37 AM
mines the same size as Dan's, its not really that big, the stock as compresser is alot longer. im gonna lay mine on its side the same way it was mounted in the car i got it from.
you'll be addign oil to it regularly if you do that, they pass way more oil on their side then they do vertically

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
... and the best place to find the high output ones are in volvo station wagons.... they are the high output kind with the low profile intake and discharge fittings

Robert

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by skandalouz@Jul 1 2003, 12:25 AM

you'll be addign oil to it regularly if you do that, they pass way more oil on their side then they do vertically
thats the way it was mounted from the factory :confused:
maybe because there isnt oil in the air like the freon :dunno:

did i just anser my own question?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by DusterNut+Jul 2 2003, 02:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DusterNut @ Jul 2 2003, 02:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--skandalouz@Jul 1 2003, 12:25 AM

you'll be addign oil to it regularly if you do that,  they pass way more oil on their side then they do vertically
thats the way it was mounted from the factory :confused:
maybe because there isnt oil in the air like the freon :dunno:

did i just anser my own question?[/b][/quote]
from the factory Yorks were designed to leak a little oil past the seals. The one I got was moutned that way too and when I cut the lines to pull it out a lot of oil came out. when you use them for an air compressor its best to have them vertical because then the oil has a lot harder time of escaping. you need to run an oil/water seperator before the tank as well as a check valve. With the york you need to check the regularly to maintain 12 oz of oil in them. you can either make your oil dipstick or get one for $5.00.

·
0 Posts
how do you test the clutch on the york.

i am about to go get me one.........is there anything else that is important to know about hooking this up in your ride?

pimpala dave

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by 65pimpala@Jul 5 2003, 09:08 PM
how do you test the clutch on the york.

i am about to go get me one.........is there anything else that is important to know about hooking this up in your ride?

pimpala dave
I just used a prtable jumper pack, but you can use a car battery and jumper cables. just put the ground clamp somewhere on the compressor and then the positive goes to the little wire attached to the clutch. if the clutch sucks in then it works! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
spin the outer hub of the pulley, it should free spin when no voltage is applied.. then put 12 volts to it, and spin it, you should see the center portion spin also now, as well as hear some air being pumped...

·
0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help.

this newbie thing sucks but in the past day i have went thru just about every post and have got all kinds of input and went from knowing nothing yesterday to knowing enough to get my butt in trouble today :biggrin:

thanks all......

PImpala Dave..... :cool:

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
how would you guys compare one from a volvo wagon to one from onboard air? would i have better luck going to the local jeep only junkyard? and finding an aftermarket.?

Last edited by BuThatsaCHRYSLER at Jul 6 2003, 08:53 PM

1 - 20 of 37 Posts