LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if any of ya can shed some light on how i can ground my batts, i got 2 bays running 24 volts now i guess my question is how can i go about using 1 quick disconnect inside the cab of my truck to cut the power to all the batts? do you guys just use 1/0 welder cable as a ground wire?
if anyone has pics of their disconnects ran near the drivers seat it would help :)
also let me make sure i got this right, i have my battery rack in the bed, the rack has 4 legs on it that slide down into tubes that are welded to the frame, bolts are then put thru the legs to hold the rack on can i get away with grounding to the battery rack or should i go directly to the frame??

also whats the reason i should put the quick disconnect on the ground rather than the power? sorry for all the dumb ?'s but i gotta learn sometime :cool:

thanks in advance

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by lyinlow@Oct 18 2003, 07:16 PM
just curious if any of ya can shed some light on how i can ground my batts, i got 2 bays running 24 volts now i guess my question is how can i go about using 1 quick disconnect inside the cab of my truck to cut the power to all the batts? do you guys just use 1/0 welder cable as a ground wire?
if anyone has pics of their disconnects ran near the drivers seat it would help :)
also let me make sure i got this right, i have my battery rack in the bed, the rack has 4 legs on it that slide down into tubes that are welded to the frame, bolts are then put thru the legs to hold the rack on can i get away with grounding to the battery rack or should i go directly to the frame??

also whats the reason i should put the quick disconnect on the ground rather than the power? sorry for all the dumb ?'s but i gotta learn sometime :cool:

thanks in advance
your question why do u gotta use the ground for disconnect then a power, well when the ground off a battery is disconnect it turns off the setup so there for when one ground wire is disconnect the setup can;t work, but i think with power if u pull that one wire the other battery would keep running that what i think i'm not to sure.....

I prefer the crimped ground disconnect but welders are perfect also, the ground one end goes directly to the first batt neg terminal and then the other end of the disconnect goes to um the ground(chassis metal) like seatbolt........ :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
WHEN I HAD MY BODYDROPPED YOTA I TOOK A QUICK DISCONNECT TOOK THE METAL PART OUTTA THE PLACTIC,, AND WELDED IT TO THE FRAME NEXT TO THE SETUP.... AND U BASICALLY JUST PLUG THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DISCONET INTO THE OTHER SIDE WELDED ONTO THE FRAME...... I HAD A WALK THRU SO IF SOMETIHNG EVER HAPPEN IT WOULD ONLY TAKE ASECOND TO REACH BACK AND PULL IT OFF....... THE CAR I GOT NOW I GOT THE SAME DISCONECT BUT IM USING IT THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE USED,, BUT ITS ALL THE WAY BACK IN THE TRUNK BYT THE TIME I GET THERE A FIRE WILL PROLLY ALREADY START... I TOO WANNA MAKE IT IN MY CAR AT LEAST IN THE BACKSEAT,, BUT I DONT THINK EXTRA LONG GROUNDS ARE GOOD

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by lyinlow@Oct 18 2003, 08:05 PM
857baller thanks for the reply its makin more sense now :)

just gotta get down to doin it now!!

Trevor
no problem, where do i go to download icq

yea let me add more when a ground is disconnect the circuit is incomplete so not enuff power to turn anything on so ya know...

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by 857baller+Oct 18 2003, 07:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (857baller @ Oct 18 2003, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lyinlow@Oct 18 2003, 08:05 PM
857baller   thanks for the reply its makin more sense now :)

Trevor

yea let me add more when a ground is disconnect the circuit is incomplete so not enuff power to turn anything on so ya know...[/b][/quote]
you can d/l icq from

http://www.download.com

just enter icp in the search bar and i will come up.

:),

cc

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Lets say you are running one bank of 6 batterys to 2 pumps, the back pump wired at 48 volts and the front wired at 72. If something happened, you couldnt undo a disconnect on the positive side, you would have 2 to unhook. Its just easier to run one on the negative side, because once you undo the neg side then the whole system is dead.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Cruz_Campos+Oct 18 2003, 08:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cruz_Campos @ Oct 18 2003, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2003, 07:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--lyinlow
@Oct 18 2003, 08:05 PM
857baller   thanks for the reply its makin more sense now :)

Trevor

yea let me add more when a ground is disconnect the circuit is incomplete so not enuff power to turn anything on so ya know...
you can d/l icq from

http://www.download.com

just enter icp in the search bar and i will come up.

:),

cc[/b][/quote]
Thanks Corkie :cool:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Oct 18 2003, 08:20 PM
Lets say you are running one bank of 6 batterys to 2 pumps, the back pump wired at 48 volts and the front wired at 72. If something happened, you couldnt undo a disconnect on the positive side, you would have 2 to unhook. Its just easier to run one on the negative side, because once you undo the neg side then the whole system is dead.
another of the many reason is u wouldnt want power running all the way into your truck it would have to be fused and thats just crazy just like when you take a batt outta your car u disconect the neg frist no ground no power

·
Registered
369 Posts
I knew somebody that had had a regal that had the disconnect all the way from the trunk to the fornt of the car and it was under his seat grounded to the one of the seat bolts... But yea i heard that it is not good to run long grounds... i think it upps the chances of locking up your shit...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
A good ground is always important. When running a stereo amp, you never want your ground over 18 inches. This is why when you buy a wiring package the ground cable is always so short.

Same would apply w/ Juice

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coo so ill go with a 18" or so ground 0/2 welder cable with a quick disconnect.

also i am runnin 2 bays 24 v each not how do i go about making a common ground so i only have to run 1 quick disconnect? i looked in the tech section but it has a basic diagram. i am lookin for how to link the bays and then run the ground from that is there some sort of setup ? if anyonwe has pis it would be Greatly appreciated!

Trevor

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Take the ground from the one bay and and put on the gornd of the other bay then run your disconnect to wherever you want. basicly ground the bays to each other from first neg to first neg then go from either bay neg to the front or wherever. Also your not going to have any probs running 24 volts to the front seat. Long grounds are not the problem its the wire you use you need a high amperage wire such as grounding wire for welders.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
even if i have a common ground for all 4 batts thing is the batt rack is just behind the cab in the bed so it really isnt that far anyway! you guys reccomend all frame grounds? even though the rack is bolted to the frame? or would grounding to the rack be good enuf?

thanks alot everyone!! i greatly appreciate it!!

Trevor

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Originally posted by lyinlow@Oct 21 2003, 09:12 PM
even if i have a common ground for all 4 batts thing is the batt rack is just behind the cab in the bed so it really isnt that far anyway! you guys reccomend all frame grounds? even though the rack is bolted to the frame? or would grounding to the rack be good enuf?

thanks alot everyone!! i greatly appreciate it!!

Trevor
Grounding to the rack would be fine thats where your pumps ground and your solenoids also

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do they make a normally closed solenoid heavy duty enough to put inline with your ground? It would have to be maybe from elevator equipment or welding machines. That would be cool so you can have a oh shit switch. Then pull over and take off the quick disconnect from your trunk and fix the problem. That would be real nice. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts