LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys use for a guide coat? I used some cheap black primer and its cloggin my sand paper up instantly. Whats a decent product.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Originally posted by HiLow@Oct 14 2007, 12:11 PM~8997665
what do you guys use for a guide coat? I used some cheap black primer and its cloggin my sand paper up instantly. Whats a decent product.
thats what i use too.. for the glogging use a abrasive paper first !!
like i said befor thats how im doing it ;)

:cool:

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced+Oct 14 2007, 01:41 PM~8997782-->
i either use guide coat that comes in a spray can, or i use dry guide, that applies with a foam pad.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-TheCaptain566
@Oct 14 2007, 04:26 PM~8998576
sem guide coat in a spray can.
ive used both of these methods and never going back. last time we ran out of guide coat and had a black spray can and the areas where we used spray can killed us in comparison to the dry guide coat or the sem guide coat spray can.

Also the dry guide coat last a while so its not bad when you consider the cost.

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced+Oct 14 2007, 01:41 PM~8997782-->
i either use guide coat that comes in a spray can, or i use dry guide, that applies with a foam pad.
[/b]
exactly what i use
<!--QuoteBegin-Texas_Bowties
@Oct 14 2007, 05:02 PM~8998732
ive used both of these methods and never going back. last time we ran out of guide coat and had a black spray can and the areas where we used spray can killed us in comparison to the dry guide coat or the sem guide coat spray can.

Also the dry guide coat last a while so its not bad when you consider the cost.
the dry coat last a good while can do several cars with it where a can you can only do a half a car if that.

H

·
0 Posts
i mixed alittle base coat paint with reducer and sprayed it right over my blocking primer
(just alittle though)

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
i use black basecoat thru my gun sprayed at like 15 inches away from the panel, get a nice even coat all the way around

how does that dry coat work? i know what it is, juts dont know how it applies n shit..... what the fuck is it anyways :confused:

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Oct 20 2007, 10:00 PM~9048620
i use black basecoat thru my gun sprayed at like 15 inches away from the panel, get a nice even coat all the way around
how does that dry coat work? i know what it is, juts dont know how it applies n shit..... what the fuck is it anyways :confused:
dry coat is a fine powder. it works just as good as guide coat.....body men use it a lot on bondo when they are making body lines, to see exactly how sharp your line is, or for low and high spots :cool: You tend to see the problem of the sand paper getting full of the guide coat clogging up on the sand paper....but since the dry coat is powder it sands right off as if it were bondo dust.

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by LowFairlane@Oct 21 2007, 01:10 AM~9048990
dry coat is a fine powder. it works just as good as guide coat.....body men use it a lot on bondo when they are making body lines, to see exactly how sharp your line is, or for low and high spots  :cool: You tend to see the problem of the sand paper getting full of the guide coat clogging up on the sand paper....but since the dry coat is powder it sands right off as if it were bondo dust.
so since its powder, im assuming you cant wet sand with it?

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Oct 21 2007, 01:01 PM~9051320
so since its powder, im assuming you cant wet sand with it?
yeah you can, cause liquid as far as i know wipes it right off :cool:

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
the shop i use to work at used black laquer primer. just over reduced it with thinner. put it in a cheap gun and let it sit all we did was shake it up a bit when we needed it. goes a long ways

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
wouldnt black spray paint effect the chemical bondbetween coats??? even mixing differen ttypes of auto painting materials is bad....

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964+Oct 20 2007, 11:00 PM~9048620-->
[/b]
works good for me

<!--QuoteBegin-northwestG
@Oct 22 2007, 11:34 AM~9057023
wouldnt black spray paint effect the chemical bondbetween coats???  even mixing differen ttypes of auto painting materials is bad....
its blocked OFF for the most parts but thats why they are supposed to use "guide coat" to help eliminat eany of that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts