LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wana see if ne one here has rebuilt one for performance or n e thing, i was wondering if I could rebuild my motor as in taking it out and putting like a set of hedders on it or a new holley 4 barrel card, edelbrock intake manifold, etc. If n e one has a clue please reply. If possible post sum pics of donr up v-6's for me, thankx. :cool:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
never done it but when i had a regal i was thinking bout it. when i looked in to it i found summit has a lot of parts for the 3.8, they just dont list many in the catalog, you have to call. good luck!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
everyone i know rips out the weak 231 and drops a 350 or somthing bigger in.. i wanna do the same but i dont wanna get rid of the AC/heater

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Torx@Jul 21 2003, 12:19 PM
everyone i know rips out the weak 231 and drops a 350 or somthing bigger in.. i wanna do the same but i dont wanna get rid of the AC/heater
i wanted to keep it cuz this motor I have even with all that weight in the ass it still runs good as hell, dont get me wrong i owuld like to have a 350 but it gets way too expensive to buy the motor itself, make sure everything is running fine, get a good condition tranny, and then have sumone install it, my best bet is just to stick to what i have now and see how it turns out

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Originally posted by gangstaburban95+Jul 21 2003, 02:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gangstaburban95 @ Jul 21 2003, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Torx@Jul 21 2003, 12:19 PM
everyone i know rips out the weak 231 and drops a 350 or somthing bigger in..  i wanna do the same but i dont wanna get rid of the AC/heater
i wanted to keep it cuz this motor I have even with all that weight in the ass it still runs good as hell, dont get me wrong i owuld like to have a 350 but it gets way too expensive to buy the motor itself, make sure everything is running fine, get a good condition tranny, and then have sumone install it, my best bet is just to stick to what i have now and see how it turns out[/b][/quote]
u can buy a runnin 350 from a junkyard for like 300

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by downsouthplaya+Jul 21 2003, 09:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (downsouthplaya @ Jul 21 2003, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2003, 02:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Torx
@Jul 21 2003, 12:19 PM
everyone i know rips out the weak 231 and drops a 350 or somthing bigger in..  i wanna do the same but i dont wanna get rid of the AC/heater

i wanted to keep it cuz this motor I have even with all that weight in the ass it still runs good as hell, dont get me wrong i owuld like to have a 350 but it gets way too expensive to buy the motor itself, make sure everything is running fine, get a good condition tranny, and then have sumone install it, my best bet is just to stick to what i have now and see how it turns out
u can buy a runnin 350 from a junkyard for like 300[/b][/quote]
where at U pick or U pull? help me out here homie

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
i just put a mellings oil pump rebuild kit it mine...got rid of some valve chatter and cured my low oil pressure problems :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Hop that v6 up before you go through the bullshit of putting a stock 350 in it.

Take a stock 252, Put a Weiand intake on it, a 600 cfm Holley, get some headers, Run a Crane H-214/2867-12 hydraulic cam and kit. And then do some mild head porting and you will take that motor from the stock 152hp up to 230hp.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Originally posted by gangstaburban95+Jul 21 2003, 09:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gangstaburban95 @ Jul 21 2003, 09:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2003, 02:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Torx
@Jul 21 2003, 12:19 PM

u can buy a runnin 350 from a junkyard for like 300
where at U pick or U pull? help me out here homie[/b][/quote]
fuck u pick, head downsouth to flamingo in homestead

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the motor i have right now isnt a 252 its a 238 or a 231 i believe, and i plan on putting an edelbrock 600 cfm carb, an edelbrock intake manifold, sum edelbrock hedders, and prolly a pulley kit, I jus like to stick to things that are more "bolt-on" cuz then this way i dont have to take out the motor and go through the hassel of buying an engine dolly and shit, the more bolt on parts i can add to give me a couple extra horsies then koo, das all I need ;)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by gangstaburban95@Jul 22 2003, 07:43 PM
the motor i have right now isnt a 252 its a 238 or a 231 i believe, and i plan on putting an edelbrock 600 cfm carb, an edelbrock intake manifold, sum edelbrock hedders, and prolly a pulley kit, I jus like to stick to things that are more "bolt-on" cuz then this way i dont have to take out the motor and go through the hassel of buying an engine dolly and shit, the more bolt on parts i can add to give me a couple extra horsies then koo, das all I need ;)
The 231 is the same as a 252, the 252 just has a slightly bigger bore. I thought you were going to pull the motor and rebuild it. The parts you named are good parts. If you decide to do some more indepth things to it, I have a pair of nice 252 heads that will bolt right on, I have a Crane cam that has never been used, I also have a Offenhauser 4 barrel intake, and a set of chrome valve covers to fit your motor.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Jul 22 2003, 05:55 PM
i just put a mellings oil pump rebuild kit it mine...got rid of some valve chatter and cured my low oil pressure problems :biggrin:
so it worked out for you, thats good :biggrin: hope it went smooth

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by ALOW1+Jul 22 2003, 09:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Jul 22 2003, 09:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gangstaburban95@Jul 22 2003, 07:43 PM
the motor i have right now isnt a 252 its a 238 or a 231 i believe, and i plan on putting an edelbrock 600 cfm carb, an edelbrock intake manifold, sum edelbrock hedders, and prolly a pulley kit, I jus like to stick to things that are more "bolt-on" cuz then this way i dont have to take out the motor and go through the hassel of buying an engine dolly and shit, the more bolt on parts i can add to give me a couple extra horsies then koo, das all I need  ;)
The 231 is the same as a 252, the 252 just has a slightly bigger bore. I thought you were going to pull the motor and rebuild it. The parts you named are good parts. If you decide to do some more indepth things to it, I have a pair of nice 252 heads that will bolt right on, I have a Crane cam that has never been used, I also have a Offenhauser 4 barrel intake, and a set of chrome valve covers to fit your motor.[/b][/quote]
r those chrome valve covers of urs brand new or used? i dont know much about motors so i wouldnt know wut a cam is, i hope the carb i listed will fr my motor as well as the hedders. get back at me. ;)

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by dough916+Jul 22 2003, 09:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dough916 @ Jul 22 2003, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--rollin low in a grand prix@Jul 22 2003, 05:55 PM
so it worked out for you, thats good :biggrin: hope it went smooth[/b][/quote]
yea thanks for the idea..i figured it was a lost cause but the new pump truned things around....oh yea the kit came with a 40 psi spring and a 60 psi one...i put in the 40, was this a good idea?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I got my Cutty the motor was fucked up.The next thing I did is i rebuilt the motor and it works like a charm.And by the way my motor is a 231 3.8 I like the performace.If u going to do it but doit right u wont regreted. ;) :cool:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
this shit is funny as hell, off topic but thought i'de share.

Last edited by stankin85 at Jul 24 2003, 10:26 AM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts