LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Alpine and a couple computer power supplies. I heard of people using the two to make music in the garage and I decided to try it my self.

Easy as fuck and after I build some sort of box for the set up I will post it up.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Looks like you're using a newer ATX power supply that is switched on by the mother board, what did you rig up to power it on.

And FYI, older AT power supplies that have a dedicated power switch make doing that really really easy and they can be had cheap as hell at flea markets and such, because nothing has used them in 10 years.

Looking at the picture closer, looks like you grabbed power off the square 4-pin, usually that 12v connection doesn't provide much output current, you want to be on one of the flat 4 pins to feed directly off the rail if you notice the lights on the h/u blinking when the volume is up.

What amp rating is that PSU rated at on the +12 rail?

·
Registered
695 Posts

12 volt batterys from security system / emergency lights at publix
plays loud as heck for about 4 hours before needing recharge
running rockford Fosgate punch a2 150 at 3ohms off some 6 by 9s on the sides and some home stereo speakers I robbed out of a broken boom box. using a head phone jack cord to rca left and right to the amp. its 100% portable - and gives nice good sound - imput is either an I pod or a cd walkman.

I hate portable boom boxes that keep needing fresh d batterys.
rechargable batterys are infinity times better. lol

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Jan 16 2010, 12:31 AM~16305839
Looks like you're using a newer ATX power supply that is switched on by the mother board, what did you rig up to power it on.

And FYI, older AT power supplies that have a dedicated power switch make doing that really really easy and they can be had cheap as hell at flea markets and such, because nothing has used them in 10 years.

Looking at the picture closer, looks like you grabbed power off the square 4-pin, usually that 12v connection doesn't provide much output current, you want to be on one of the flat 4 pins to feed directly off the rail if you notice the lights on the h/u blinking when the volume is up.

What amp rating is that PSU rated at on the +12 rail?
I am going off the fan plug. I just figured this out so if you have any tricks it will be greatly appreciated!

I jumped the green from the 20 pin plug to a ground (any will work). If the PS is from aDell do the same with the gray. the power read 12v so I used it. I am running it know and it seems OK. Are you saying to use the power from the 4 pin MOLEX?

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by All Out Customs@Jan 16 2010, 12:42 AM~16305955
:cool: Nice work, turning your speakers up and turning wrenches is da way to go.
fuck yeah, I had to see if I could do it, now to enclose it and add a small amp and sub!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by Airborne@Jan 15 2010, 11:41 PM~16305950
I am going off the fan plug. I just figured this out so if you have any tricks it will be greatly appreciated!

I jumped the green from the 20 pin plug to a ground (any will work). If the PS is from aDell do the same with the gray. the power read 12v so I used it. I am running it know and it seems OK. Are you saying to use the power from the 4 pin MOLEX?
You are on the 4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable, but I'm not sure if it's full amperage on all PSU's.

I'll let you do some research yourself on it, but I'll provide you with the study material. :cool:

You will fall in love with this page...

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Jan 16 2010, 12:51 AM~16306074
You are on the 4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable, but I'm not sure if it's full amperage on all PSU's.

I'll let you do some research yourself on it, but I'll provide you with the study material.  :cool:

You will fall in love with this page...

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
fucker! I read this tomorrow (did I say fucker?).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts