LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im using SEM plastic/vinyl dye to change the plastic in a toyota tacoma from tan to black...

im using the SEM cleaner, adheision promoter, dye and clears.. and it was working fine.. and now all of a sudden the plastics im doing are commin out like shit... its not stickin... i can easily scratch the black off with my fingernail...

whats up with that?? im wondering if maybe it got too cold in the shop?? and if thats so.. how do i get it off so i can try again with the heat cranked up higher??

or should i try using like laquer thinner to clean and help soften the plastics before i spray them???

·
Registered
572 Posts
Are you spraying light coats (misting)? I turned a green dash white and blue lower door panels white for a 75 Grandville with no real problems. I used SEM products I paint the dash in June and its been the car with know issue's. Hell the car has set it back of the shop with out top and cleaned up real nice. I'll try and post some pics. Try spraying in a warmer place but use light coatings and let it build up. It take awhile but the product will look nice.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yeah, you might want to hit all of it LIGHTLY with some 2000 grit before you do it. And from what I know, that type of paint is VERY temperature sensitive. If you are close to Indiana..my cousin can hook your shit up for CHEAP!! He did a Regal I used to own from brown, to a yellow cream , and I SWEAR the shit looked BETTER than factory. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Glen

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot for the info... i treid using it in a warmer place and its working better...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Originally posted by 77monte4pumps@Oct 21 2003, 04:44 PM
im using SEM plastic/vinyl dye to change the plastic in a toyota tacoma from tan to black...

im using the SEM cleaner, adheision promoter, dye and clears
where can you find these products and is it in spray can form?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Any body shop/paint supplies(auto)shop should have them. If you can't find them..I can pick you some up...you would just have to pay for the stuff PLUS the shipping. I think the cans of the stuff I just used on some carpet(works well on carpet too)..cost like $4-5 per can..and I used 2 cans........PM or email me at [email protected] if you need any help.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Find an RM paint dealer near you. get some of their 902 cleaner. all you gotta do is spray it on wash it off. dry it, then paint. you don't need an adhesion promoter either with this. It works great! its designed for use with plastics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts