LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: so how is this done. i have been thinking of doing this from some time. pic,ways,hows,no no. whats up?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine{headliner} is in MDF (medium density fiberboard) you make the board the right shape for your roof and figure out how to support it (without sticking screwws through the roof skin) this is the toughest bit of the whole job!

When you have your board(s) ready mark out the pattern for the button tuck (diamond or biscuit) with a marker and drill the holes for the button thread to go through, then cut the foam (I used 2" thick) and glue to the board with spray glue make the foam a little smaller than the board all round (about 1") this will show you where to mark the foam ready for cutting the slots in the foam for the tuck. you should now have a bmarked board with holes with foam glued to it which is also marked. the best thing to cut the foam with is an electric breadknife(!) seriously this could be made for the job its that good...just cut down to about 1" of foam left

cut your material larger than the board by at least 6" all round (maybe more) and start with the centre row of buttons working outwards. I made a tool from a long Phillips screwdriver grinding it to a point and then gring a flat on the shaft 2" from the point then drill through the shaft so you have a big needle. to do the buttons you then push the "needle" through from the back of the board through the foam and velvet, thread the button thread and pull back, pull taut and staple after knotting the thread.

thats is repeat ad nauseum and you headliner is done!

unity_neil pmed me this when i asked it, i found it very helpful.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
ive never tried it with mdf but i dont see why it wouldnt work that way...i would probably just reinforce the existing headliner board if i thought it couldnt support the weight..anyways you can use crochet hooks to pull the strings down through the foam and bored.....i recommend using some weight lifting gloves to pull the strings tight because they will tear up your fingers while your pulling on them...also when your cutting the foam (he mentioned a bread knife and that sounds like it should work...) use some silicone spray to lubricate the blade with because it will make cutting it alot easier....while your marking out where you want your buttons on the foam cut the foam down roughly a 1/4'' so you can tuck your material in the crack and get a nicer crease after the buttons are in....thats all the tips i can think of right now

·
Registered
848 Posts
he told me he used mdf cuz his headliner was rotting, ill prolly use my existing one. does it matter howfar u cut in for the crease? cuz you said 1/4" and unity_neil said 1"

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by RaZo_bLaDe@Dec 8 2003, 04:45 AM
he told me he used mdf cuz his headliner was rotting, ill prolly use my existing one. does it matter howfar u cut in for the crease? cuz you said 1/4" and unity_neil said 1"
i use 1/4 ''....and everyone i know also used 1/4''....the only reason i see putting any in is to get the fabric to lay and crease in a uniform pattern....going deeper doesnt sound like it would have any real advantage...

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics please. and THANKS for all the help

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

The headliner in my old truck was done over one inch of foam glued to some cardboard. The foam had slits cut in it(about halfway through the foam) using an electric carving knife. The pattern is 3.5" squares. The gray velvet was sewn onto 1/2" scrim(1/2 inch foam with a backing). The gray velvet was sewn onto the scrim in a 4" pattern. I used to do the squares this way alot because it gave me precise tuck. Doing it this way gave me 1-1/2" of foam in the tuck. Used prong type buttons, though using the eyelet type would have made the headliner lighter. The headliner was basically glued to the roof of the cab using silicone sealant. Used a piece of plywood and a 2X4 to hold the headliner in place while the silicone was drying. Headliner is still up after about 15 years. The only difference now is it has a center console in the middle of the headliner.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i should get some backing like a very light thin wood or cardboard. and 1 foam. i would then take a marker and put the pattern i want down on the backing and the foam. cut the lines out on foam. now if i use wood should i drill little holes for the thread to come throw? then i lay the velvet down and start in the middle?

now how do you guys thread the buttons on? what technic do you use?? and do you drill holes? and how do i do the edges or the biskit button, do i just wrap it over and staple it?

thanks guy :biggrin:

Last edited by Mark at Dec 10 2003, 06:42 AM

·
Registered
848 Posts
to get the buttons on you put the twinish thread through the button, then you pull both ends straight through the hole, pull the ends tight to eaither side and staple em with a staple gun in place. i dont know if that would work with the cardboard. and i think you just wrap the edges over and staple it, because they will be behind the plastic shit thats part of the panels? (thats what its like on my car, not sure about yours, but itll prolly have somn to hide it)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts