LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tore the whole headliner out of my caddy since everything was shitty. im going to put a new one up myself, but i dont know where to find the foam for it.

the one that came out of it had a sort of hard styrofoam  that was on top and a thin foam on the bottom that the cloth held on to.
would 1" or 2" of foam be good. or do you need the hard stuff for support?

the pic is of the carboard that was supposed to be holding the foam up, but it wasnt. should i get more of these? or should i use a spray on glue?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
ok there are a few things you will need before you redo this headliner... first off your going to need a color match book so you can pick the color you want to use....or get the color code for it... you could get the color code for free if you go to an upholstery shop and get him to match it and then decide your not going to reupholster it after he matches it ;) the material is already backed with 1/4 foam.....you will need an air compressor , big wide piece of cardboard like the flap off of a box , cheap 20$ paint gun , contact glue (dap makes some but i cant think of the exact name) and there are numerous places you can order the headliner material from... i used to get it from redrum fabrics which is in mass btw but i dont know if they will sell to just anyone but you could always try.. reupholstering is pretty basic....i would lay the material over the whole headliner after prepping the headliner itself (scrubbing off all the old material with a grill brush and cleaning it) i would lay the piece of cardboard across the headliner and fold the material in half over the cardboard, spray the headliner and material right under the cardboard to give me an area to stretch from and keep the material centered , then its basically just spraying the material and headliner , folding the cardboard over while tugging the material to the edges so its tight...its very easy....any other questions about the process just ask me and ill let ya know....

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i suppose you could use a closed cell foam to replace that old styrofoam...there is a foam supplier in providence r.i. on charles st.. cant think of the name right this minute but i could figure it out for you if you planned on calling them up and possibly riding out there..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts