LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i fix it? theres 2 actually i managed to turn 1 into 2 :dunno:

anyway everytime i try to beat on it with the body dolly kit it just flexes and moves elsewhere i cant see any creases or anything

how the fuck do i fix it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Originally posted by REV. chuck@Mar 18 2010, 07:19 PM~16931338
how do i fix it?  theres 2 actually i managed to turn 1 into 2  :dunno: 

anyway  everytime i try to beat on it with the body dolly kit it just flexes and moves elsewhere  i cant see any creases or anything 

how the fuck do i fix it?
you got to get a torch and apply some heat to the metal to shrink it, the metal is stretched not warped. just get a lil torch apply some heat in the high spots and then go over it with a wet rag till you dont get the tin can reaction, then you can hammer and dolly it, regardless you'll still need to bondo it up ;)

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by A-FORD-ABLE@Mar 18 2010, 08:38 PM~16931557
you got to get a torch and apply some heat to the metal to shrink it, the metal is stretched not warped. just get a lil torch apply some heat in the high spots and then go over it with a wet rag till you dont get the tin can reaction,  then you can hammer and dolly it, regardless you'll still need to bondo it up  ;)
x2

don't be trying to push or hammer it, you're just gonna stretch it out more.

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of them little butane/propane torches work?

what do u mean by high spots give me good detail because i have no idea how to do body work

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Originally posted by REV. chuck@Mar 18 2010, 06:45 PM~16931631
one of them little butane/propane torches work?

what do u mean by high spots    give me good detail because i have no idea how to do body work
that will work just get the spot red hot. the high spot is where the dent seems to be poking out a little bit, or where it seems to be popping in and out the worst. :cool:

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by STR8RIDA@Mar 18 2010, 09:15 PM~16931972
that will work just get the spot red hot. the high spot is where the dent seems to be poking out a little bit, or where it seems to be popping in and out the worst.  :cool:
its not poking out though its fairly straight everywhere except where its bubbled in

:| would i be safe just to heat it from the outside of the dent in?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Originally posted by REV. chuck@Mar 18 2010, 08:18 PM~16932005
its not poking out though    its fairly straight everywhere except where its bubbled in

:|   would i be safe just to heat it from the outside of the dent in?
same concept, regardless if the dent is in or out, if you can reach behind the dent with a dolly bang the dent outward n then start heating it up right in the middle of the dent with the little propane torch n then wipe it with a wet rag....the process takes a while till you feel it pretty flat and the metal should be a little harder to move if the metal has shrank right. If you dont get rid of the tin can effect the dent will just keep moving on you when you add the bondo and next thing you know your covering the whole panel with bondo and you still got that one high or low spot :uh:

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by A-FORD-ABLE@Mar 18 2010, 09:41 PM~16932311
same concept, regardless if the dent is in or out, if you can reach behind the dent with a dolly bang the dent outward n then start heating it up right in the middle of the dent with the little propane torch n then wipe it with a wet rag....the process takes a while till you feel it pretty flat and the metal should be a little harder to move if the metal has shrank right. If you dont get rid of the tin can effect the dent will just keep moving on you when you add the bondo and next thing you know your covering the whole panel with bondo and you still got that one high or low spot :uh:
just dug the bondo out from when i fixed it last time 5 years ago :cheesy:

wanna get it right this time this van is essentially a giant tin can so if i get inside and push the dent out and heat the middle then cool it

:dunno:

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by bigshod@Mar 18 2010, 09:52 PM~16932469
im lost reading it :happysad:
ive got a huge heat dent that moves everytime i try to work it out

i need it to go away

·
Registered
410 Posts
Originally posted by REV. chuck@Mar 18 2010, 09:13 PM~16932744
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/29/video-c...compressed-air/
saw that video a long time ago, dont know if it would work...maybe if the metal isnt necessarily stretched or creased....but if the metal is stretched(tin can reaction) then i doubt itll do any good, heating the metal with a torch expands the molecules in the metal and the wet rag cools it to make it contract....what they show in the video is more of when they say metal has memory....if it went in at a certain direction it will come out the same way...but when youve had body work done before, the metal no longer holds its shape unless the dent was properly taken out the first time, and now thats where the shrinking of the metal and hammer and dolly come in to play.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
short explanation, pay no attention to the accent lol
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6rPdaZQ7_c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6rPdaZQ7_c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
use a stud gun its easier if its your first time with a torch u can fuk it up more if u dont know what your doing and use more water on your rag the quicker the better

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by A-FORD-ABLE@Mar 19 2010, 12:10 AM~16934080
saw that video a long time ago, dont know if it would work...maybe if the metal isnt necessarily stretched or creased....but if the metal is stretched(tin can reaction) then i doubt itll do any good, heating the metal with a torch expands the molecules in the metal and the wet rag cools it to make it contract....what they show in the video is more of when they say metal has memory....if it went in at a certain direction it will come out the same way...but when youve had body work done before, the metal no longer holds its shape unless the dent was properly taken out the first time, and now thats where the shrinking of the metal and hammer and dolly come in to play.

i used a 1600 heat gun it worked my problem is/was there were two dents one would get better the other would get worse one would come out the other would go back in

i tried a torch i tried everything so i relief cut it beat it out and filled what was left its better then it was anyway.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Originally posted by REV. chuck@Mar 19 2010, 11:56 PM~16943651
i used a 1600 heat gun it worked    my problem is/was there were two dents  one would get better the other would get worse  one would come out the other would go back in

i tried a torch i tried everything    so i relief cut it beat it out and filled what was left  its better then it was anyway.
:0

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Originally posted by REV. chuck@Mar 20 2010, 12:56 AM~16943651
i used a 1600 heat gun it worked    my problem is/was there were two dents  one would get better the other would get worse  one would come out the other would go back in

i tried a torch i tried everything    so i relief cut it beat it out and filled what was left  its better then it was anyway.
sounds like you might have to pull the panel length wise

1 - 19 of 19 Posts