LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just replaced the blower motor to my 84 monte carlo ss all speeds work but high why? could it just be the heater relay or ?.....thanks

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
I remember correctly, there is a resistor that limits current to the blower motor when in any position other then HIGH. So, when on HIGH the current does not travel through the resistor, rather a direct connection from switch to blower motor.

That being said, either your switch itself is bad (not allowing full connection) or you have some wiring issues from that point forward.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
im not sure but i do know that happens a lot on the newer gm vehicles and its always the blower motor resistor. not even sure if 84 had that.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 12 2005, 02:51 PM~3605103
I remember correctly, there is a resistor that limits current to the blower motor when in any position other then HIGH. So, when on HIGH the current does not travel through the resistor, rather a direct connection from switch to blower motor.

That being said, either your switch itself is bad (not allowing full connection) or you have some wiring issues from that point forward.
yup theres a resistor for different settings and thats why high works(12volt switched) and med/high, med/low, and low dont...cause the 12V is fed diretly to the motor without resistance, the others are set lower like, 7.2V and 5. and shit like that, which is how you get the diff speeds. i would buy or get a new blower motor resistor, if its a g body or gm full size the resistor pack is loacted next to the blower under the hood if im not mistaken, its sitting right on top of the fan housing on the pass side of the firewall. call napa they usually deal with these parts, and tell them what you have going on, if it isnt the resistor its got to be the switch that turns the fan speeds on the dash, or a bad connection else where. test lights are 4-6 bucks and save you headaches of testing shit all day. try those options, and report back... ;)

check wiring connections first, its the cheapest and if the resistor was working before, it should work now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts