LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1989 Cadillac fleetwood. 307 olds motor.

my friends car is spueeking REALLY loudly. ive replaced both belts, the alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.
and it still squeeks. i took the fan off, thinking it might be clutch. but it still spueeks. and the alternator isnt charging as good as its 'post to.
the spueeking isnt my biggest problem, the powering steering belt gets HOT and then it brakes, and the pulley on the water pump gets hot,
im thinking its because the belt is slipping causing frixion. bacuse nothing else gets hot.

when running the car i noticed that the crank is spinning faster then the rest of everything else.and the two belts are spinning at different speeds.
the power steering belt is spinning slower then the alternator belt. but there coming off the same pulley. the only difference is that the powering steering belt goes to the crank to.

keep in mind that the only things that get hot are the water pump pulley and the power steering pump belt.
so is it posable that the pulley on the water can be bad??? (not the water pump it self) its brand new and it was spueeking before i put the new water pump on. so i dont think its a bad water pump.
or....
can it be that the crank spins too fast???
or...
has anybody ever had a brand new power steering pump go bad straight out of the box?
or...
do i have to keep braking belts intil it brakes in, because the pulleys are too stiff???

white arrow: water pump
tan arrow: crank
red arrow: power steering pump
green arrow: alternator

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there super tight.

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by CaddyKid253@Jan 19 2010, 08:54 PM~16344819
there super tight.
That's your problem. They are too tight which is causing excessive friction which means things will get hot and belt will squeak. First thing to do with a squeel is check belt tension, there should be about 1/2" of slack. Then move onto inspecting belts, pulleys, etc. You are breaking belts due to OVERTIGHTENING the belts.

The belts are moving at different speeds because they're different legnths and the pulleys are different sizes. I suggest finding someone that has worked on engines before or taking it to a shop before you waste any more $$$ on parts.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
MAYBE THE WATER PUMP PULLY IS BENT

·
Registered
856 Posts
i have the same engine in my buick and had the same problem. you dont have the smog pump/ac compresser anymore do you, that is the problem. when you run the belts to just one side on the 307 it "pulls" to much on the water pump pulley, if you run one belt(dont matter which one ) it will go away but put the belt back on and back to where you were at. i run just one belt for the water pump, alt, and power steering pump. i will take pics tomorrow of how i did it, takes about 15 min to do and everything works better with no problems, and i drive mine as a daily (pumps and 13s all)

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by bounce13@Jan 19 2010, 10:58 PM~16346631
i have the same engine in my buick and had the same problem. you dont have the smog pump/ac compresser anymore do you, that is the problem. when you run the belts to just one side on the 307 it "pulls" to much on the water pump pulley, if you run one belt(dont matter which one ) it will go away but put the belt back on and back to where you were at. i run just one belt for the water pump, alt, and power steering pump. i will take pics tomorrow of how i did it, takes about 15 min to do and everything works better with no problems, and i drive mine as a daily    (pumps and 13s all)
I ran my 307 with no smog and a/c pump just fine, no squeaks, daily driven on 13's too. His belts are way too tight, he even said it. That's why he's braking belts.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Jan 19 2010, 08:31 PM~16345286
That's your problem.  They are too tight which is causing excessive friction which means things will get hot and belt will squeak. First thing to do with a squeel is check belt tension, there should be about 1/2" of slack. Then move onto inspecting belts, pulleys, etc.  You are breaking belts due to OVERTIGHTENING the belts.

The belts are moving at different speeds because they're different legnths and the pulleys are different sizes.  I suggest finding someone that has worked on engines before or taking it to a shop before you waste any more $$$ on parts.
we've tried tight, super tight. and normal. it still squeeks.

Originally posted by juiced-cutty+Jan 19 2010, 09:26 PM~16346073-->
tighten the belts in order of, power steering, then alternator..
[/b]
did that every time.

<!--QuoteBegin-bounce13
@Jan 19 2010, 09:58 PM~16346631
i have the same engine in my buick and had the same problem. you dont have the smog pump/ac compresser anymore do you, that is the problem. when you run the belts to just one side on the 307 it "pulls" to much on the water pump pulley, if you run one belt(dont matter which one ) it will go away but put the belt back on and back to where you were at. i run just one belt for the water pump, alt, and power steering pump. i will take pics tomorrow of how i did it, takes about 15 min to do and everything works better with no problems, and i drive mine as a daily    (pumps and 13s all)
true. i didnt think of it only pulling on one side of the motor.
thanks.... i'd like to see the pics :cool:

·
Member # 1,077
22,641 Posts
my problem with the squeaking and snapping belts was the powersteering pump not being tight enough, but the problem is the ps pump has to be so tight it stretches the belts. so i bought thicker belts once they broke in i had to re adjust about twice, but since then its been fine and its my daily. i also am not running smog pump or air conditioning so i get the part about the belt tension being on only one side of the water pump, but oldsmobile used to offer the same motor back in the day with no smog or a/c and it never had any problems but the one shitty thing is the powersteering bracket shares a stud with the exhaust manifold :|

·
Member # 1,077
22,641 Posts
the yellow number belts are the napa belts i used

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys :cool: the prob is fixed. there was too much rust on the pulley. and it needed to be super tight. and we ended up getting a different brand of belt. it hasent squeeked sence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts