LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been trying to do patterns on my model and it isnt working. I have been cutting them out of masking tape with a razor and the tape isnt staying on the model. What do you guys do to make patterns?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the wide blue 3M tape. I lay it flat on the model and mark a few reference points, like door lines, wheel wells etc... Then I peel it off and lay it flat on a piece of glass. I draw out my patterns or flames, and cut them out with a hobby knife. Now I peel it off of the glass and lay it back down on the model and line it back up with the reference points I made earlier. The tape sticks good enough, and peels off easily without lifting the base coat.

It's best if you can use an airbrush, because you can thin the paint and shoot light coats so it doesn't seep under your tape

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by O.G.ModelBuilder@Sep 23 2003, 07:02 PM
he's a lil secret.....if you buy a air brush kit, thats specificly for lowriders, it comes with some patterns. you just got to be willing to pay $15 i did once. just didnt know how to use it at that time.
i just ordered an airbrush, but it isnt spacifacally for lowriders. it should arrive by saturday

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by Armando Ranflitas@Sep 23 2003, 06:09 PM
You can also find this stuff in art supply stores.

Frisket Film.
Armando you ever try putting that in a printer and doing your patterns on the computer?
Just curious, this guy in our club does that with sign makers vinyl or something like that
He ven scans the top front and sides of the model so he can make them fit perfect and see them on the car before he prints

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have never tried that Dag. I have a how to article written by Steve Boutte. He prints out his design first and then transfers the image onto the film using a light table. I haven't done anything intricate with it.

Scanning the model seems like a good idea. I was looking through a design magazine and they scanned a mustang model into a 3-D program. It looked pretty cool.

So the guy in your club cuts out templates with the vinyl cutter? That is a good idea. I have been trying to talk our boss into getting one of those for the shop here.

·
Registered
743 Posts
No he just cuts it with a hobby knife , but he uses the vinyl for signs.
When he gets the car scanned in and open in Photoshop he scales it out so that when it prints its exactly the right size.
You wouldn't have to print right on the frisket paper, print it on reg paper and do the light table thing. Hmmm gets me thinkin

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
if your talking about a plotter and are wanting to get one . I used to work aat a sign shop and my manager said he has one to sell. It can cutt vinyl up to 24" wide. I amost bought. He will sell it cheap.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Originally posted by O.G.ModelBuilder@Sep 24 2003, 11:02 AM
he's a lil secret.....if you buy a air brush kit, thats specificly for lowriders, it comes with some patterns. you just got to be willing to pay $15 i did once. just didnt know how to use it at that time.
man u guys winging over 15 bucks americian , dam im scaming australian 250 bucks outa me parents to get me a new air brsuh ;)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
how much for that plotter?... my dadz been lookin into buyin one for a while now but my computer isnt good enuff to run one...lol(my shits slow as fuk i had to get dsl so i can actually get online...lol) yea so how much for that plotter?... i think cuttin out the patterns with a plotter would be kinda cheating.... when doing designs on a model car or even car..... the eaziest way for me to do it iz with masking tape and that 3m blue rubber pattern tape and some wax transfer paper... tha transfers for the vynil stickers... it works wonders...... simply lay out the design on the model car with the blue tape preferably quarter inch or 3/16th depending the style of patterns.... then lay the wax transfer paper on top.... since its see threw u can see the blue tape... down the middle of the blue tape carefully cut the wax paper only with a hobby knife (make sure u just cut the wax paper) then u peal off the wax paper from the inside of the pattern u wannt do... and it works wonders... thats one of the ways i do it at work when painting something... thats how im doing my regal too... it wont be very easy on a model car cause of the size but if u hazve the patience u can do it....

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Originally posted by tRiCk oR tReAt 2@Sep 26 2003, 07:35 AM
how much for that plotter?... my dadz been lookin into buyin one for a while now but my computer isnt good enuff to run one...lol(my shits slow as fuk i had to get dsl so i can actually get online...lol) yea so how much for that plotter?... i think cuttin out the patterns with a plotter would be kinda cheating.... when doing designs on a model car or even car..... the eaziest way for me to do it iz with masking tape and that 3m blue rubber pattern tape and some wax transfer paper... tha transfers for the vynil stickers... it works wonders...... simply lay out the design on the model car with the blue tape preferably quarter inch or 3/16th depending the style of patterns.... then lay the wax transfer paper on top.... since its see threw u can see the blue tape... down the middle of the blue tape carefully cut the wax paper only with a hobby knife (make sure u just cut the wax paper) then u peal off the wax paper from the inside of the pattern u wannt do... and it works wonders... thats one of the ways i do it at work when painting something... thats how im doing my regal too... it wont be very easy on a model car cause of the size but if u hazve the patience u can do it....
he said he would sell it for $500-$600(which is a good price) but you have to buy the program to run it and i think its about $900. But with the plotter you can make that money back quick with just a couple jobs(car graphics, banners, club logos,i.e.)

Last edited by regalistic at Sep 26 2003, 07:56 PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts