LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok cars getting based in the same color blue that the flakes are, but its gonna be a straight flake job with boat flakes. i want as much coverage as possible without too much flake. again its gonna be solid flakes. whats a good amount of flakes per clear ratio? please only reply if you really know. no guessing please. thanks

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by DroptLinkin@Nov 13 2003, 03:30 AM
ok cars getting based in the same color blue that the flakes are, but its gonna be a straight flake job with boat flakes. i want as much coverage as possible without too much flake. again its gonna be solid flakes. whats a good amount of flakes per clear ratio? please only reply if you really know. no guessing please. thanks
depending on the size flake that you are using this might change----but i do the following---------4oz of flake to every quart of clear---a usual syphon gun cup is 1 quart---------so basically mix up your clear and then add 4oz of flake to the cup-----

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I put 1 1/4 tsp per mixing cup on a truck and it turned out good, after spraying four cups on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:cool: I would agree with the 4 oz per quart which is pretty close to a couple tsps depending on how flaked out you want it, atleast a couple coats to flake it out prabably more to look like boat flake.

I myself use alot of micro flakes, instead of the bigger flake. :cool:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there not the huge boat flakes. there like in the middle. not micro though. i want the car to be totally flaked out so you cant see the base. the base is just there in blue incase there isnt 100% perfect coverage. how much you think i would need. i have 2 pounds. think thats enough or should i get another?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
you want need two pounds, Go about 2 tsp per cup on the first coat and if thats not enuff add more

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
Originally posted by DroptLinkin@Nov 17 2003, 01:03 AM
there not the huge boat flakes. there like in the middle. not micro though. i want the car to be totally flaked out so you cant see the base. the base is just there in blue incase there isnt 100% perfect coverage. how much you think i would need. i have 2 pounds. think thats enough or should i get another?
i just sprayed the bottom of one of my customers cars and i used 1 pound and its about 80% covered. i have sprayed cars at about 80% coverage and it has taken 3 pounds to get it there

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i want as close to 100% coverage as possible. im painting under the hood, jams, trunk, continental kit, everything, 96 linkin towncar. and i want a little leftovers too cuz i have some fiberglass panels im workin on for inside. im thinkin ill need 3 ponds then huh?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by DroptLinkin@Nov 18 2003, 01:01 AM
yea i want as close to 100% coverage as possible. im painting under the hood, jams, trunk, continental kit, everything, 96 linkin towncar. and i want a little leftovers too cuz i have some fiberglass panels im workin on for inside. im thinkin ill need 3 ponds then huh?
bro------just food for thought----you will never get 100% coverage of flake......it is almost impossible----you can get really really close but you will use a hell of alot of flake and spend hours wetsanding to get it smooth--not too mention the amount of clear that you are going to have to go through to get all the flakes applied------i don't think that i have even seen a car that has not used huge flakes ever be 100% covered----boats are made usings a flake resin-----much different from what you are doing---------good luck

"richee"

Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 18 2003, 09:45 AM

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 18 2003, 05:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 18 2003, 05:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--DroptLinkin@Nov 18 2003, 01:01 AM
bro------just food for thought----you will never get 100% coverage of flake......it is almost impossible----you can get really really close but you will use a hell of alot of flake and spend hours wetsanding to get it smooth--not too mention the amount of clear that you are going to have to go through to get all the flakes applied------i don't think that i have even seen a car that has not used huge flakes ever be 100% covered----boats are made usings a flake resin-----much different from what you are doing---------good luck

"richee"[/b][/quote]
this is exactly what i am talking about...........

the flake usually looks like 100% coverage when the sun hits it if the base is the same color...........that's why i say if you put on 2 or 3 "jars" it will look awesome.............

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know im not gonna get 100% coverage, the paint would just be too thick. thats why im basing it with the same color as the flakes, to give it the effect of 100% coverage. ill post pics of the progress when i get started. i got 2 cars im doin like this, we'll see how they turn out. thanks to everyone for helpin me out so fast

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 18 2003, 09:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 18 2003, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--DroptLinkin@Nov 18 2003, 01:01 AM

"richee"[/b][/quote]
This is true....l I used 3 1/2 pounds of a .15 flake on my 84 Caddy Coupe and I think I'm about 95% covered...I'm still sandin the bitch (fuck it's a whole shit load of sandin), I've already used about four gallons of clear and I got another 2 to finish it up.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
IF YOU WANT A DIFFRENT WAY TO LAY THE FLAKE HERE IT IS...YOU MIX YOUR PAINT...THE BLUE.....REDUCE THE PAINT..LET SAY..ITS 1 PART PAINT 1 PART REDUCER....GO 2 PARTS PAINT 4 PARTS REDUCER..ADD YOUR FLAKE TO THE PAINT....KEEP THE FLAKE MIXING IN THE CUP..SHAKE THE CUP WHEN YOUR NOT SPRAYING..SPRAY IT ON THE CAR......SRAY ABOUT 2 COATS..THEN LET IR DRY....GO OVER THE CAR WITH A GRAY OR BETTER A WHITE SCUFF PAD...TO KNOCK OUT ANY FLAKES THAT MIGHT BE STANDING UP...REMEMBER..THE FLAKE IS MIXED IN A BASE FOR SO IT SHOULD DRY WITH IN MINS...THEN AFTER TAC YOU CAR...AND CLEAR IT...THAT WAY THE CLEARS NOT SO RUFF....CAUSE OF THE FLAKE

1 - 20 of 26 Posts