LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump is not working. I dont know what sizes is the engine 350,327 or 400 small block. where can I find the engine code. will any mechanical fuel pump will fit. from s 327,350,400. The engine is not the original from the car.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
all sbc should be the same (at least that old, not an ls1 ect....), just bring the old one with you to the auto parts store.................... to be sure..................

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
make sure the fuel pump rod is working ... it the lobe is wore of the cam a new mechanical fuel pump wont fix it

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
all the same

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
.... does you fuel sender have a filter or sock or a filter more up line ...

did you check that the rod to the fuel pump was working moving as you bar the engine over? ...did you work the lever on the fuel pump? ...its tuff to do but you gotta try it ..

other wise ...disconnect the fuel line ... to the fuel pump ..remove the cab ..and blow some pressurised air (air nozzle ) into the tank ..and see if it perks (bong sound)

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
yep, just take your old one with you and try to match it up as closely as possible. The one I just bought for a 63 Impala was actually for an 85 Camaro, the ports were just a little different, but the mounting is the same.

To check if the pushrod is working, take the pump off, take the pump backing plate off, and hold your finger on the end of the rod while someone cranks the car, it should stroke about 1/2". When you go to reinstall it, put some lithium grease on the rod to hold it in the block, otherwise it's going to be a PITA to get the new pump on.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Aug 14 2005, 11:21 AM~3614777
yep, just take your old one with you and try to match it up as closely as possible.  The one I just bought for a 63 Impala was actually for an 85 Camaro, the ports were just a little different, but the mounting is the same.

To check if the pushrod is working, take the pump off, take the pump backing plate off, and hold your finger on the end of the rod while someone cranks the car, it should stroke about 1/2".  When you go to reinstall it, put some lithium grease on the rod to hold it in the block, otherwise it's going to be a PITA to get the new pump on.
i dont understand why everyone says its such a pain to get those things to stay in place.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 14 2005, 09:45 PM~3620061
i dont understand why everyone says its such a pain to get those things to stay in place.
because they usually slide forward the instant the pump is removed. On a 40 year old motor, the tolerance isnt that tight anymore

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Aug 15 2005, 12:09 AM~3620495
because they usually slide forward the instant the pump is removed. On a 40 year old motor, the tolerance isnt that tight anymore
:dunno: i just slide a pick in between the pushrod and the block - and hold it with one finger while installing the pump. no big deal :cheesy:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 14 2005, 11:11 PM~3620501
:dunno:  i just slide a pick in between the pushrod and the block - and hold it with one finger while installing the pump.  no big deal  :cheesy:
a tooth pick or a hair pick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts