LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding down the road and hear a noise and started slowing down put it in neatrul and had no brakes. I stoped and noticed my tire on the hub and drum 2 ft outside my car only held up by the axle. How or what the hell happened and what would I need to do to fix it? Do I need to rebuild the rear end now, is it something you can build in your garge or do you need any speacil tools. Any one having any ideas

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds like broken axle shaft or clip that holds it in. Stock Impala rearends suck especially if you have added weight from battery's. Get a Ford 9" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
those rear axles dont use a c clip it has a bearing that is pressed on to the axle if its the o g one they do get lose over time and will slide off there is4 bolts at the end of your axle housing there is a plate bolted to that it has to go back on before you have a new bearing pressed on, that happen to me years ago i put a new bearing on and had no more problems.

·
** 58-64 Rag Impalas **
16,542 Posts
To be safe,

Just replace the axels for some "high performace" after market ones.

Like these ones:

These bishes are used for drag racing

:cool:

·
420Puffin
761 Posts
Crush barring. Shit happened to me about a year ago on my 63' it happened with wear and tear,,, it cost me about 150 to get it fixed at a rear end shop... If you go with a ford 9inch it will never happen again tho,

·
Registered
389 Posts
It has happened to my 64 a couple of times back in the 80's. I had the whole differential/axle rebuilt with upgraded axles, like Aztlan_Exile mentioned. Only got 3,000 miles on it so far, but so far, no problems.

·
** 58-64 Rag Impalas **
16,542 Posts
It has happened to my 64 a couple of times back in the 80's. I had the whole differential/axle rebuilt with upgraded axles, like Aztlan_Exile mentioned. Only got 3,000 miles on it so far, but so far, no problems.
:cool:

·
420Puffin
761 Posts
whats trhe exact part name for this, im having trouble finding one at the local parts store

Go into a rear end shop... The bearing needs to be pressed into place.... Btw what side was it that came out. Passenger or driver side?

·
Registered
202 Posts
driver side, i took out passenger also and it was fine but I tacked it in and did the same on the drivers side, got it pressed on for free at a local shop also, all in all free fix

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Man I have blew BEARINGS in my 58 Impala Convertible bearing almost $100 a wack ese
I am about to but a 9 in disk brake rear end already i like driving the shit out of my
58 Impala i only have 20,000 miles in 11 years of owning it after a frame off .........
blew both side 2 times rolling on 13x7 eats them up lol .......... 13's the only way to roll !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts