LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3.5 ton springs up front with 8 inch cylinders backed by two pumps to the nose… In the rear I have 2 ton springs with 14 inch cylinders and a single pump… just added shocks… The car is a V6 with 12 batteries (Springs all around have been cut front ones are about ¾ of full spring and rear is about ½ a full spring)

oh ya it's a 82 Cutlass... good now that the basic info is out of the way…

The front is not too bad on shitty roads (the island is all shit roads) but the back bounces around so hard it's enough to break your back… the shocks I added last night helped a little and I know I could and probably should get accumulators… but I was wondering if I used the stock springs or some one ton springs would it help soften up the ride??? I considered more turns in the rear springs but I would need a special cup that allows the spring to come down lower on the cylinder... or I am going to be just too high when the car is dumped... u joint is already at an extreme angle when the car is locked

Besides accumulators what are my options??? Maybe I am running too much air in my tires 60 PSI (155-80-13’s) :dunno:

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
whoaaaa!!! 60psi!!! thats wayyy too much for the street, i roll on 40, but try 45 since ur on 13's...
also, best bet is get accumulators, but theres a trick to that, first trick is you only need to get 2, only for the rear, thats where the backbreaking comes from, also, you need to get shutoffs, that way when your driving around you have a soft ass ride, but when you want to swang you just shut off the valves and your good as new without accums no difference at all...

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
trust me, i have the exact same problem with my cutty, it literally beats the fucking shit outa you sometimes

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I think you'd be fine with out shut offs for the rear.

Here's why;
MOST ACCUMULATORS take 3,000psi load. So if you plan on hopping, you just lock up your rear until your motors stop. The back will be very solid.

And keep the front with out accumulators..

Check my sig for the best accumulator!!! :biggrin:

·
49,409 Posts
3.5 tons in the rear would help a little bit....it'll take the spongyness out of the bounce

·
Registered
47,194 Posts
since you got 12 batteries i wouldnt advise this

but the best ride i found was put the front stock springs in the back and cut a couple turns off to get you lower and run accumulators...that should fix the bounce problem...

12 batteries might cause the springs to collapse..

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanna thank everyone for replying.. some good advice... first thing I am going to try is reducing the tire pressure... I was just trying to ensure the car wasn't driving on the sidewalls

Never even thought about springs collapsing... I was considering cutting and installing the stock springs this weekend

Volv_lo can you suggest someone in Canada that would have the right accumulators in stock??? I checked locally but the Hydraulic Shop I went to wanted over $250 CDN each for Parkers and it would take two to three weeks... Maybe I should just get them through ProHopper :dunno:

I want to buy through someone I can trust... If the price is right I can send a money order or COD :biggrin:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by lowrider_cutlass@Aug 5 2005, 08:15 AM~3545973
trust me, i have the exact same problem with my cutty, it literally beats the fucking shit outa you sometimes
:roflmao: so true... the ride is just brutal

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by DOUGHBOY 650@Aug 5 2005, 01:37 PM~3547865
stop bitchin...u wanted hyrdos...deal with it, the bouncy ride is fun too, what u talkin about....hmmmmmm :scrutinize:

It's possible to build a car with hydraulics and maintain a decent ride. I have seen lots of cars at shows that drive in without bouncing all over the place... just trying to get some information...

Plus you live in Cali... don't know what the laws out there are like... but out here if you drive down the road bouncin all over the place the police issue you a Notice and Order. Hydraulics are illegal and the cops hate lowriders... espcially in my city

My last Notice and Order was for a level one inspection... the worst kind... To pass this inspection I had to take my vehicle to the inspection facility the police specified on the face of the ticket. No taking it to your buddies shop and having him pass it

I had to remove everything... essentially return the car to stock. I had to lose the 13's pull all the wiring and hosing for the hydraulics... the cylinders, my adjustable trailing arms, rear-end, extended a-arms everything had to come out... I had to then close all the holes in the frame, trunk.... so much shit I can't even remember all of it...

I then had to replace everything with parts I bought from a wrecker... install stock rims and tires, new ball joints, busings, springs, shocks... a lot of fuckin work... the entire process of tearing my car apart and then putting it back together after it passed took me a month... a stressful month of going back and forth arguing with the vehicle inspectors, the police, and the insurance company

I realize even if I smooth out the ride I can still get an order for inspeciton... but atleast my car won't draw as much attention... the cop that pulled me over even told me the only reason he decided to stop me was becasue while he was following me he saw my wheels come off the ground when I went over a bump in the road

So I'll bitch if I wanna bitch... I am entitled :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy Bruce@Aug 5 2005, 03:07 PM~3548070

My last Notice and Order was for a level one inspection... the worst kind... To pass this inspection I had to take my vehicle to the inspection facility the police specified on the face of the ticket. No taking it to your buddies shop and having him pass it

I had to remove everything... essentially return the car to stock. I had to lose the 13's pull all the wiring and hosing for the hydraulics... the cylinders, my adjustable trailing arms, rear-end, extended a-arms everything had to come out... I had to then close all the holes in the frame, trunk.... so much shit I can't even remember all of it...

I then had to replace everything with parts I bought from a wrecker... install stock rims and tires, new ball joints, busings, springs, shocks... a lot of fuckin work... the entire process of tearing my car apart and then putting it back together after it passed took me a month... a stressful month of going back and forth arguing with the vehicle inspectors, the police, and the insurance company

damn, i feel for you homie :(

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Originally posted by DOUGHBOY 650@Aug 5 2005, 01:37 PM~3547865
stop bitchin...u wanted hyrdos...deal with it, the bouncy ride is fun too, what u talkin about....hmmmmmm :scrutinize:

i agree w/ DOUGH....we and you didnt SEVERLY modifiy the suspension to get a NICE ride

it also sounds like you gotta get outta BC and get somewhere where the city is MORE lowrider friendly!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy Bruce@Aug 5 2005, 02:57 PM~3547651
I wanna thank everyone for replying.. some good advice... first thing I am going to try is reducing the tire pressure... I was just trying to ensure the car wasn't driving on the sidewalls

Never even thought about springs collapsing... I was considering cutting and installing the stock springs this weekend

Volv_lo can you suggest someone in Canada that would have the right accumulators in stock??? I checked locally but the Hydraulic Shop I went to wanted over $250 CDN each for Parkers and it would take two to three weeks... Maybe I should just get them through ProHopper  :dunno:

I want to buy through someone I can trust... If the price is right I can send a money order or COD  :biggrin:

The part # in my Sig are $90 cdn each, I got them from the parker store a few yrs back.

ONLY CALL PARKER STORES. And I ordered them and had them with in a week. :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 5 2005, 10:59 AM~3546846
since you got 12 batteries i wouldnt advise this

but the best ride i found was put the front stock springs in the back and cut a couple turns off to get you lower and run accumulators...that should fix the bounce problem...

12 batteries might cause the springs to collapse..
same thing I say.I'd wouldprobably try it with the weight.You back end aint gonna weight that much more then the stock front of the car anyway. stock front springs in the rear chopped to your satifaction.Also, deep cups(reverse in the back will only give you half a turn or so extra, so i wouldn't spend $$ on them unless you need to replace your normal cups anyway

I don't really see why its so bad with shocks on.what kind of shocks, stock ones?

your rides always gonna be stiff locked up, but if you feel like your getting beat up drving at highway ride height, then you gotta do somethin!

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
i see all these guys sayin the back breakin ride is all part of the fun. i used to think like that till i did my 95 and was the worst! i had stock front springs and shocks in the rear and still sucked ass! i put accumes on the rear.......... fuck what everyone else says. you juiced your car, and if you can ride smooth and hit the switches too, why the fuck wouldnt you?
go with accumes and dont look back! i drive my caddy 5x more then i used to now.

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
i just got 4 of them from prohopper...got them pre charged with all fittings...260 bucks..but then again i ordered a complete 3 pump kit

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Aug 5 2005, 12:10 PM~3546914
Accumulators - that's the BEST way!!!
Couldn't agree more,they are the shit! :cool:
And the pigs don't have a clue you are rollin with hydro's cause the bouncy bounce is gone!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts