LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, i have been searching topics all day about belt driven compressors and have a good background on them.

To make things simple....if you do not have a York (lots of us dont have the room!)then basically you need an oiler and must make sure the oiler is full.

I have heard MANY mention using the factory a/c compressor on their rides.

Not a problem if you keep it oiled and filter the oil before the tanks (important). MY QUESTION.........Has anyone used a factory a/c compressor that can handle filling tanks up to say 175 psi???? Please tell me. I havent seen it. I could see maybe at 85 or possibly 100 psi....but dont think it could pump more than that because of the backpressure.

I want to hear from someone who has tried it and made it work!!!! Lots of late model Jeeps and Dodges use the Sanden model which i am thinking of trying.....but not even sure these will do it ( i know the old 508's and 510's from Sanden will work)

Someone give me some feedback on this subject. I have had the Yorks and the Oasis but i am an weekend warrior and would like to experiment!!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've heard the Sanden style is the NEXT best thing to a york, but still NOT a york. I haven't heard anybody hear try it yet, so maybe try looking at 4x4 forums under an onboard air type of topic. I'm sure a bunch of jeep guys have done it, but airin up your tires and hoppin a car are to different ball games. Good Luck, keep us posted.

My buddy has A/C in a '68 Dodge Monaco and it looks like a little V-Twin motor. I was wondering what it could push...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the Dodge Dakotas use a Sanden compressor. This is pretty much the same compressor that Chassis Tech sells. Differance is that Sanden has replaced most of the older 508's and 510 compressors that used the R12.

What year was that Dakota?

Thanks for your feedback. Let me know how it goes.

·
finger'in a ****
1,521 Posts
Originally posted by dirtylooks@Sep 11 2005, 02:18 AM~3789601
today just helped a friend do factory ac comp to fill his tanks on a dodge dakota and it went 2 200 psi in about 2and half minutes....hose is expensive u have to get the line crimped to at compresser

So why is that???? :confused:

·
Registered
640 Posts
The compressor gets pretty hot. And it too much for regular air line. It needs at least 18 inches or more of heavy duty line from the compressor. I'm running hydraulic line from the compressor all the way back to the tank. Some just run a couple feet of steel braided.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts