LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 81 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.
Its time for me to change my stock 368 6.0 engine out for a 350.
What all am i gonna need to do besides buy a 350. Will the tranny bolt up to a 350? The stock motor is fuel injected...garbage to me...i really want that carb. 350....something i can trust, and easy to work on.
thanks ahead of time*

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
I was told by wilson-oldsmobile-cadillac that a 350 olds with a 400 turbo shortail tranny would bolt right up and u would not need the computer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well first off my friend, i changed out my 3.8l 231 ci v6 out for a 350 chevy 4 bolt main out of a 78 chevy truck,
*the 350 u want to put in will not require a computer becuase it is carburated>>so dont worry bout a computer
* your new 350 will most likely be a HEI ignition motor, so you will need to run a new ignition power wire to the distributor becuase the caddy motor will have a sperate coil from the distributor.
*when u pull the old motor out make sure you take all the fuel injection and computor bullshit wireing harness's out,( take all emissions bullshit too for more horse)
*im not sure bout the caddy but i have put 350's and a 355 in a cutlass ,monte carlo ss and a s-10 so youll need to check the motor mountsif they are in the same spot, still use the mounts made for the 350 jus to b safe
*youll prolly need to have your driveshaft cut and balanced, if it doesnt fit, get it cut and for god sakes make sure they balance it
* the best tranny's to use on a chevy 350 , are #1 a turbo 350 or a #2 400 short tail, you may have to do some fabricating for the tranny mounts in fact im sure of itthe 400 short tail will give more performance and speed and acceleration, butthe turbo 350 will last longer and take a harder beating

>>>anything else just hit me back if u need more help with it

·
Registered
340 Posts
the caddy trans is most likely a 400 if it is still stock. It doesn't bolt to chevy motor. 82 cutlass hass some good points but his ifo is ass backwards on the tranny's. The 400 is stronger! if you go with the 400 you don't have to touch the driveshaft. The 350 you will have to change the yoke, or get the drive shaft out of a caddy with the olds motor and th2004r tranny. and move your cross member forward.

·
SKATING
444 Posts
Hey bro if your going to run a carb and keep that electric fuel pump your going to need a fuel regulator. I ran a edelbrock carb at 3 psi compared to like 18 or 20 thats what the fuel pumps pushing. Get yourself a 200R4 tranny its got the overdrive your going to need :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
nah i beat down on that turbo 350 and never a problem,
wen i had the 400 shorttail in it, it had to much torque and it spun the teeth right of the yoke, and no, jus have to get the driveshaft cut and balanced, its a gm rearend so the yokes will fit

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
u might have to reposition ur motor mounts on the frame......in the 80s rwd lacs some came w 350s....not very many of them and on top of that it was diesel fueled so same cid jus diff gas type....im puttin a 350 in my caddy its an 93 fleetwood but the frame is off of an 81...same shit as far as engine goes

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by DUKE@Oct 15 2005, 02:17 PM~4006476
Hey bro if your going to run a carb and keep that electric fuel pump your going to need a fuel regulator. I ran a edelbrock carb at 3 psi compared to like 18 or 20 thats what the fuel pumps pushing. Get yourself a 200R4 tranny its got the overdrive your going to need :cool:
all very true

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by DUKE@Oct 15 2005, 05:17 PM~4006476
3 psi? wtf you running, a lawnmower?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts