LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey can any 1 post a step by step methode to make a really hot shiney flake paint job i think im missing some steps or somthing

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
you lookin for some of that big ass old school gangsta flake?

it's kinda hard to see in this picture but, i did the green Kandy and then green flake in the clear over top of it.

like i said, kinda hard to see in the picture but...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by The Mad Modeler@Jan 9 2004, 05:31 PM
you lookin for some of that big ass old school gangsta flake?

it's kinda hard to see in this picture but, i did the green Kandy and then green flake in the clear over top of it.

like i said, kinda hard to see in the picture but...

hey can you tell me how to do it cuz im gunno pick up sum paint pretty soon and i dont know what i need or give me a link to a site that tells you how

Last edited by Madd-Dogg at Jan 9 2004, 05:39 PM

·
Registered
62 Posts
here ya go start with a nice smooth body ,,then find some hok
then apply as follows 1. bc-02 orion silver 2.then lay down some
intercoat clear with a gang of flake mf-1 is a good scale flake for a model car in 25th scale 3. last is the organic green kandy uk-9 but you'll actually use a kandy concentrate to tint the clear ..just be carefull laying down the flake you don't want to many coats of clear
you'll lose your detail.. p.s. there is another way, spray some nuetral marbilizer and let it sit then grab a gun called the flake buster from old school flake ,it sprays flake on dry wich is better to apply a lot of flake without losing detail ,,it's also easier to clean this gun ... but i'm sure not everyone has one but should it's so much easier... just some thoughts..

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx but iunno if i hav a house of kolor around here im stayin at my moms 4 awhile do u know any other places that might hav some alright paint

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
prime it base it candy it mix a little flake in the paint it self then with the clear you will lose some flake when u wet sand the car

put 4 coats of clear on the car so when u wet sand it you take it back to 3 coats thats how i do real cars never painted a model

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
thats about it. i just primer, throw down a base coat (gold or silver), spray some gold and/or chrome flake, spray the kandy, last is the clear.

also you can mix the flake with the paint also.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Originally posted by Madd-Dogg@Jan 9 2004, 07:35 PM
thanx but iunno if i hav a house of kolor around here im stayin at my moms 4 awhile do u know any other places that might hav some alright paint
Whats up homie, where in Ca are you right now? Are you close to Montclair, Ca. That is where Pegasus hobby shop is at and they have Hok in spray cans and in jars for airbrushing.

paz

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
You can go the easy way and buy a can of Krylon glitter spray and flake it that way. Hell i've flaked plenty of models with it and they've turned out fine.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey thanks for all the replies guys i think ill post some progress pics pretty soon

Last edited by Madd-Dogg at Jan 10 2004, 01:06 AM

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
i'm posting my answer to the PM you sent me up here too incase any beginners here needs some help on this as well.

hey so basically all u have to do is put some primer down 1st whats a good primer just a hobby shop 1??? and then for the base gold or silver spray paint or hobby piant??? then u just put down some of that flake stuff or in my post i heard thers paint with flake in it k but what is wet sanding is that like kinda of polishing it smooth??
yeah, a good primer depending on what type of base & paint you using. if you are using laquer you will need laquer primer. if you are using enamel then you can use either normal enamel primer or laquer primer.
rule of thumb is that you can spray enamel over laquer but you CANNOT spray laquer over enamel because of the chemical reaction. the laquer is "hotter" and will melt enamel.

now that i most likely confused you........ lol

ok, i'll walk you through an easy one to try out for starters ok.

go to walmart and go to the automotive dept. get you a can of grey primer. get the "sandable" primer. it should say somewhere on it that it is a laquer based product.
then get you a can of duplicolor metallic silver while you are there.
any shade of silver metallic will work. just remember that the darker it is, the darker your kandy is going to be.

next, go over to the model paints and find you a can of "transparent candy blue" , "transparent candy red" , "transparent candy green" , "transparent candy grape" which ever you want to use.

also to give you a REALLY good shine grab a can of testors "High Gloss" clear #1814 ;)

ok, once you have your body ready to spray lay down a light coat of primer. hit it again in about 5 minutes with a nice even coverage making sure you got everything.

let that sit for another 5 minutes or so and lay you a light coat of the silver. again, wait 5 - 10 minutes and give it a good cover coat.

while that sits a good 10-15 minutes get you a bowl or big cup or something that you can fill with warm water and is big enough to put your can of candy paint in. put some pretty warm tap water in the dish and take your paint and undo the seal and everything on the lid so its ready to go.
put your can in a ziplock baggie so it stays dry and lay it in the water for about 3 minutes and then turn it over for another 3 minutes. (the bag helps keep the can dry so you dont drip water on your body while painting)
the reason for doing this is to heat up the candy paint so it thins out and flows nicely. (these candies are notorius for spitting and uneven coverage)
lay down a light coat (just enough to give it a tinted look) wait about 3 minutes and then come back with another fairly thicker coat. wait another 5-10 and do another coat. (warm the can back up while waiting at this point)
NOTE: with candies the thinner coats will give you a lighter tone and more coats will give you a darker shade.

once you have it the way you want, let it sit about 20 minutes and then lay you a nice coat of high gloss clear (repeat 2-3 times)
NOTE: if you plan on using decals, put them on BEFORE clearing. also, let body sit for a day or 2 before applying decals.

this method will give you a nice flake effect. once you've mastered that, there are a few clears that have flake in them (even colored flake) you just have to watch what you get though so you dont have too big of flake or it will look like you dropped it in dirt with wet paint. lol

that is how i did that green impala i posted earlier.........
prime, base, kandy, clear w/ green flake mixed in.

as far as "wet sanding" dumbasses do that on models. :ugh: lol
if you know what you are doing then you dont have to worry about it. (these aren't real cars ya know) ;) lol

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
by the way, you also said something about colors with flake already in them........

yes, most of the colors available are metallics (flakes) but they are kinda blah and boring :ugh:

thats the reason i told you to give that method a try, because candies give you ALOT better look. and when light hits it instead of going "blah" it's more like BAM!!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey man thanks alot now i know what im doing so tomorrow im off to wal mart and then the hobby shope to see if they have foil and stuff

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Jan 10 2004, 09:32 AM
after the flake, you may want to put some clear on it to help smooth out the roughness before the candy. With airbrushing, I've started using intercoat clear, that's what it's meant for.

K. Diaz
so that this doesn't confuse anyone this is if ou use flake under your candy.
but with the metallic paint i mentioned in my lesson you will be ok spraying your candy right over top of the base color.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts