LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at first i heard my rear making a grinding noise and now i need to press the brake pedal on my 1986 monte carlo goes all the way to the floor for my car to stop, and also the brake light came on, i thought it would be the brake shoes but someone told me i might need a new master cylinder

any one know what the problem may be?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Well if you hear a grinding noise then you probley need new shoes/pads.

Now you say your brake light is on and the pedal goes all the way to the floor......

Sounds to me like you drove it for awhile with the rear brakes grinding, if so did you wear them down to the point that you wore the brake shoes off? If you did then the pedal would go to the floor because there would be nothing there for the wheel cylinders to push on and then your light would come on because the master cylinder would be low on fluid since all the fluid would br going to your wheel cylinders...........

Take your back brakes apart replace the stuff and go from there......

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would think that an 86 would have brake pads(not shoes)in the front and back and the grinding noise you hear is the rotor being damaged!!!Newer vehicles have brake sensors that light up after the brake pads wear past this metal mark limiter. The longer you wait the more damage and money for repairs you will be spending............MS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts