LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with a cracked bumper cover on my LS.

I need to know whats the best way to get it to fuse back together. Names of products and techniques would be a big help

I will be working on ssame thing as this pic (not actual bumper cover)

it has a big crack on the bottom corner that i need to fix before it gets painted

thanks for looking and helping out :)

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
there is some stuff called 40/40 or 50/50 or someshit, use that. grind it down a little bit, then tape it or staple it in place on the back side, then put the crap i said. then bondo over it.

it comes in a dual chamber tube, sort of like a caulking tube, but it has 2 chambers. you need a special gun to use it and mix it properly, but you can probably do it by hand, that tool costs like $100. that shit is strong, it dont fuck around

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Aug 27 2006, 04:05 PM~6054089
there is some stuff called 40/40 or 50/50 or someshit, use that. grind it down a little bit, then tape it or staple it in place on the back side, then put the crap i said. then bondo over it.

it comes in a dual chamber tube, sort of like a caulking tube, but it has 2 chambers. you need a special gun to use it and mix it properly, but you can probably do it by hand, that tool costs like $100. that shit is strong, it dont fuck around

only hacks use regular body fillers on plastic bumper.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by skandalouz@Aug 27 2006, 05:53 PM~6054363
only hacks use regular  body fillers on plastic bumper.
please explain so that i have a better idea. thank you.

also please explain the products that would be best to use. :)

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 27 2006, 07:04 PM~6054992
please explain so that i have a better idea.  thank you.
also please explain the products that would be best to use. :)

well you need plastic adhesion promoter, and mesh tape or fiberglass matt will work. I would use fusor 142, or 3M structural on the back with the fiberglassmatt for strength. On the front you need to V out the crack and fether it back and use something like Fusor 100Ez, or 3M Easysand flexible. Material cost is gonna get up there so it might be cheaper for you to have it fixed at a shop and then just prime it yourself.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by skandalouz@Aug 27 2006, 08:08 PM~6055013
well you need plastic adhesion promoter,  and mesh tape  or fiberglass matt will work.  I would use fusor 142,  or 3M  structural on the back with the fiberglassmatt for strength. On the front you need to V out the crack and fether it back  and use something like Fusor 100Ez,  or 3M  Easysand flexible.  Material cost is gonna get up there so it might be cheaper for you to have it fixed at a shop and then just prime it yourself.
about $100 give or take?? maybe more you think?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 27 2006, 07:11 PM~6055029
about $100 give or take?? maybe more you think?

for all the product yes, give or take, and you'll only use barely any of it.

I use adhesion promoter on all plastics when I am doing any structural bonding. but you don't always need to. It depends on the plastic. you don't need to buy the special applicator gun either, just use a cut off broom handle and mix 50/50.

There are cheaper product out there that will work, but I only use trusted materials. You could get away with using the 3m flexible repair for both sides of the bumper. Its greyish/black in color, and sands fairly easy.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by skandalouz@Aug 27 2006, 08:55 PM~6055412
for all the product yes,  give or take,  and you'll only use barely any of it.

I use adhesion promoter on all plastics  when I am doing any structural bonding.  but you don't always need to.  It depends on the plastic.  you don't need to buy the special applicator gun either, just use a cut off broom handle and mix 50/50.
There are cheaper product out there that will work,  but I only use trusted materials.  You could get away with using the 3m flexible repair for both sides of the bumper.  Its greyish/black in color,  and sands fairly easy.
i think i'm going to go that route cause its getting hard to find a good used bumper cover.......new they run 500 :(

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 27 2006, 09:19 PM~6055681
:biggrin: buy one new, dont half step  :uh:
$500 :uh: let me put it on your account :biggrin:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have gotten good resuls using the flexible bumper body filler
on the outside and fiberglassing the back side with a couple of
layers of matt for reinforcing.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by jcclark@Aug 28 2006, 12:26 PM~6059331
I have gotten good resuls using the flexible bumper body filler
on the outside and fiberglassing the back side with a couple of
layers of matt for reinforcing.
Can you please provide the name of the body filler, so that i may check it out. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea...fusor works pretty good. SEM makes a product called "problem plastic" Its ok. I would cut out a square piece of plastic and apply on inside of crack on bumper using fusor to hold it together for strength. Use some vice grips to hold it and let is set overnight. Never had a comeback using that method.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by IndianaRyder@Aug 28 2006, 07:10 PM~6061758
yea...fusor works pretty good. SEM makes a product called "problem plastic" Its ok. I would cut out a square piece of plastic and apply on inside of crack on bumper using fusor to hold it together for strength. Use some vice grips to hold it and let is set overnight. Never had a comeback using that method.
thanks for the reply, and to everybody else. I will start the work on the bumper this weekend and will let yall know how it went :)

·
da painter
24,179 Posts
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 28 2006, 07:35 PM~6062345
thanks for the reply, and to everybody else.  I will start the work on the bumper this weekend and will let yall know how it went :)
if u need help.. holla at me

·
Registered
275 Posts
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 28 2006, 02:07 PM~6059980
Can you please provide the name of the body filler, so that i may check it out.  thanks for the reply
I don't remember the name but it came in two tubes like caulking tubes
and you put them in a caulking gun to dispense it. Mix 1 to 1.
Most all paint jobbers sells a brand of it.
It stays gummy for a while and is harder to work with, I let it sit overnight
and it sanded a lot easier. I got mine at Smart Shoppers.

·
Registered
28,037 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Aug 27 2006, 05:05 PM~6054089

x2

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
i had a crack on my riv and i used a soldering gun and a spare piece of bumper plastic and melted it together sanded smoth i didnt even used 50/50 primed and painted

1 - 20 of 21 Posts