LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys ...I am going to be starting the install on my 90 towncar in the next few weeks...so I have a few questions that if any one would answer I would be greatly in thier debt.
This is my first as shops always did the others so bear with me here hermanos.

On the battery racks....I was using 1/8th " 1 1/2" angle iron.....good ? or No?

Now also on the rear where the factory bags are I see there are perches that the top of the bags go into...just go through those also with the cylinders in to the trunk?...orrrrr....cut them off?

I was going to reinforce the major stress points (rear arch..etc).....I traced out the pattern of the frame to paper which I was going to use as a stencil.....3/16" steel?.....or different thickness for reinforcement?

Also on the front cylinders the a-arms have a "loop" above where th eshocks bolt in......where th efront cylinders clear that?.......I am not doing the a arms right now...will do all of that this fall when I dissassemble for chroming.

One last thing ...I recall a pretty detailed thread on a 90's tc install does any one know which one it was.....AND/OR.......can some one post a few upclose coil/ cylinder shots of rear coilover set up.....and the front?......pleasssseee...;)

Thanks to any one who takes the time to respond............

Ro

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have access to varying thickness...1/4 being one of them for the angle iron. I will do that....thanks for your time bro.

Ro

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the town cars. But it sounds like you got everything together. At least for being your first install. Like biglinc said,use the thicker angle. Also yes go through the stock perches in the rear. Dont cut them out unless you are going to intall a bridge. The cylinders should clear the loop on the a-arms

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And once again thank you Big Linc....you too SH (By the way Dyers Eve is one my absolute favorite songs ever composed).....I will just go through the perches as I am not going to do a bridge right now. I mean in all honesty I am just going to get this set up in and finish work on the audio/video while I can still drive her this year.
Where I am from (Nebraska)....we have TERRIBle winters...so she will be put up and I can get the paint and chroming done at my liesure :)
I hate to bother ya guys but I do have one more question...I was going to go with 12"s or 14"s in the rear.......will they present any unforseen problems?
Godbless.........................RO

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
well without any modifiactions your not going to get any more than 9" of left...but it always better to have more cylinder in the rear....I run 14s in my lincoln...only because i do 3 wheels...the bigger the cylinder the better the 3.....but before i did lots of 3s i ran 12s....no problems at all....also just a quick tip..dont know if youll have the same problem or not considering you have a newer body than my lincoln...but id get you some PVC pipe and slip of the rear cylinders...1.25" pipe will be snug or you can get some 1.5 for a lose fit....the only reason for this is to get rid of the god awful squeaking the cylinders make when rubbing on any metal....oh and i guess youd only only this if your running coil over.....if your not running coil over with power balls then switch...much safer in the big body cars...or any car for that matter....but everyone has there own opinions......good luck

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could ya PM me Slammed78...I am interested in a little more details on the PVC trick.
YES SIREEE....I am running power balls and coilovers in the rear. Got a few buds who run the same set up in big cars and they swear by it.
I will probably go with at least 12"s than in th erear as I love those threes as much as any one.
Thanks to you too bro..........................................RO

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Originally posted by slamed87lincoln@Aug 12 2005, 09:23 AM~3603276
well without any modifiactions your not going to get any more than 9" of left...but it always better to have more cylinder in the rear....I run 14s in my lincoln...only because i do 3 wheels...the bigger the cylinder the better the 3.....but before i did lots of 3s i ran 12s....no problems at all....also just a quick tip..dont know if youll have the same problem or not considering you have a newer body than my lincoln...but id get you some PVC pipe and slip of the rear cylinders...1.25" pipe will be snug or you can get some 1.5 for a lose fit....the only reason for this is to get rid of the god awful squeaking the cylinders make when rubbing on any metal....oh and i guess youd only only this if your running coil over.....if your not running coil over with power balls then switch...much safer in the big body cars...or any car for that matter....but everyone has there own opinions......good luck
damn.. thats a good idea.. that noise sucks.. im gonna try that..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
well heres some info about my linc.. i have 8in in the front and 10s in the back.. i cant go any higher.. the drive shaft will hit the back of the trans.. for a full extention on the 10s you need to take out the shock absorbers.. either go to a parts store and ask for a big shock.. or just leave it out.. if you get a big shock then you will sit higher when fully dropped.. i left mine out and i know another linc that did the same thing.. have had no problems..

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
i ve got 10" in the rear of my tc..... get full lock up.... no shocks...get accummies

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
14s in the back of mine with no shocks...i just put accumlators in there...dam nice ride.......and like i said before you wont get more than 9" of lift in the rear without any modifications......i plan to drop my upper trailing arm mounts and get a slip yoke drive shaft.....im building my lincoln for kick ass power 3s...ive got 11 batts back there as it is now lol

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
....you too SH (By the way Dyers Eve is one my absolute favorite songs ever composed).....

:cool:To live is to die. Dyers eve is the next song.I get confused too They kinda blend together into one song almost .. Not too many people in here get that. Anyway,sounds like your on the right track with the settup. What Ive done before in the rear Is extend the lower trailing arms 1/2" and the uppers 1 1/2". this pulled the drive shaft away from the tranny some whiich is the purpose of shortening the driveshaft. So, I didn't need to mess with the drive shaft at all. This was to add 12" cylinders to g-body. The TC may need a little more for 14". Just remember the upper extentions are mostly to adjust pinion angle. So extend it a little more than the lower.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts