LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am goin to sand down my truck to bare metal and i was told to use an epoxy primer then spray a urethane primer on top of the epoxy primer, so me question is what are some good brands for epoxy and urethane primers. this will be my first time ever picking up a spray gun so i need all the help i can get. thanx for helping me out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Urethane primers are for leveling, filling.
If the panel is in good shape you can skip the urethane all together
and paint right over the epoxy.
A lot of painters put a coat of epoxy over the urethane after sanding
just for a sealer coat, and it increases adhesion.
You don't have to use a urethane at all, but most times it's needed
just to smooth the surface flat. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
PPG!!!!!!! POUND THAT SHIT ON!!!!!!!! and no you dont need to use a urethane like homie said,,unless you got lots of plastic,and flexing parts
good luck! :thumbsup:
btw,,please dont leave your car out in the wet,wipe her down good with some grease remover or some kind of cleaner that way you wont get any rustyz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,888 Posts
i know alot of people spray epoxy first but i would still like to see proof of 2k high build over bare metal fail


it does the trick for me i know paint companies recommend it but i never had a problem i guess i can only say in my defense is if it is prepped right you don't need epoxy first???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
You make a good point,
I painted an entire stripped car years ago with only 2K urethane primer
before paint and never had a problem with it.
And I wet sanded the entire car after primer.
I'm convinced it'll hold up fine (but I still believe epoxy is better).
And on collision repairs only 2k is used all the time and there's
not any adhesion or rust problems.
2K does better than most give it credit for. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Oct 17 2007, 08:36 AM~9021694
i know alot of people spray epoxy first but i would still like to see proof of 2k high build over bare metal fail
it does the trick for me i know paint companies recommend it but i never had a problem i guess i can only say in my defense is if it is prepped right you don't need epoxy first???
spray a coat of 2k and let it sit outside for a year.
that shit will probably rust up or start peeling.
epoxy wont

plus epoxy sticks to bare metal better than any 2k
and eliminates the use of shitty etching primers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,648 Posts
anyone have any experience with HOK KD2000 Direct to Metal primer????


a friend of mine uses it alot in his body shop. sprays it direct to bare metal or over fillers. sometimes he put filler over the KD2000 too.

he swears by it, says it sands nice and builds pretty good too, and adds reducer and uses it as a "wet to wet" sealer.



he has done ALOT of motorcycles and several cars, all over with it, no problems over several years time.







does anyone else use it??? sounds good considering it works direct to metal, builds and sands easy and works as a sealer.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss805@Oct 17 2007, 08:19 PM~9023050
spray a coat of 2k and let it sit outside for a year.
that shit will probably rust up or start peeling.
epoxy wont

plus epoxy sticks to bare metal better than any 2k
and eliminates the use of shitty etching primers



how about 2 going on 3 years.........i have and it didn't fail yet??

i use ppg omni so i know some people will hate but it works.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss805@Oct 17 2007, 08:19 PM~9023050
spray a coat of 2k and let it sit outside for a year.
that shit will probably rust up or start peeling.
epoxy wont

plus epoxy sticks to bare metal better than any 2k
and eliminates the use of shitty etching primers




i wish someone would do a test of these 2 primers.......hell maybe i will.......



as far as the need to use etch primers once again this depends on the company you go with and what you wanna believe in those tech sheets
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Oct 17 2007, 03:29 PM~9023118
anyone have any experience with HOK KD2000 Direct to Metal primer????
a friend of mine uses it alot in his body shop. sprays it direct to bare metal or over fillers. sometimes he put filler over the KD2000 too.

he swears by it, says it sands nice and builds pretty good too, and adds reducer and uses it as a "wet to wet" sealer.
he has done ALOT of motorcycles and several cars, all over with it, no problems over several years time.
does anyone else use it??? sounds good considering it works direct to metal, builds and sands easy and works as a sealer.......

anyone have an opinion or experience??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Oct 19 2007, 07:23 AM~9037865
i wish someone would do a test of these 2 primers.......hell maybe i will.......
as far as the need to use etch primers once again this depends on the company you go with and what you wanna believe in those tech sheets
i hear you ,,,, but i would rather put filler over epoxy than over bare metal
you know filler sucks up moisture like a mutha fucker , any little rock chip exposing the filler is going to suck up water. it might take 5 years but i guarantee you, its going to start forming rust under the filler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss805@Oct 19 2007, 09:32 PM~9040269
i hear you ,,,, but i would rather put filler over epoxy than over bare metal
you know filler sucks up moisture like a mutha fucker , any little rock chip exposing the filler is going to suck up water. it might take 5 years but i guarantee you, its going to start forming rust under the filler



that is a debate that will go on for years with many people many mixed opinions......


as far as the rock chip exposing filler you are right BUT if you are a very picky person with your ride and you noticed any little thing you will get the filler covered with some primer before anything can happen.........


as long as you keep a close eye on things it will be fine........
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top