LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I never used a meter, i just shake'em and if theres stuff moving around inside, in the trash they go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
to test a selnoid with a meter you would place your leads across the side terminals and you should read an open circuit with no volatge applied. with voltage applied you should have a closed circuit.
btw the meter should be on the ohms scale

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by alarman@Jan 10 2004, 09:33 PM
to test a selnoid with a meter you would place your leads across the side terminals and you should read an open circuit with no volatge applied. with voltage applied you should have a closed circuit.
btw the meter should be on the ohms scale
why all that when you can just shake the soleniods

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
set the meter to continuity;

dis-connect the lead from your batteries to your 'noids. make sure the 'noids click when hittn' the switches..

now, touch a probe end on either side of each solenoid.

RESULTS;
if it beebs = bad, stuck closed.

if it doesn't beeb, hit the switch that activates that bank of 'noids = if it beeps only when you hit the switches to that bank = IT GOOD.

If it doesn't beep no matter if you hit the switches or not, = BAD, stuck OPEN..

I typed this fast, hope it helps..
I have a better description in my book..

Last edited by Volv_lo at Jan 11 2004, 10:07 AM

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by lolo4life+Jan 11 2004, 11:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lolo4life @ Jan 11 2004, 11:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--alarman@Jan 10 2004, 09:33 PM
btw    the meter should be on the ohms scale
why all that when you can just shake the soleniods[/b][/quote]
Because bad solenoids don't always rattle.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Jan 11 2004, 01:06 PM

dis-connect the lead from your batteries to your 'noids. make sure the 'noids click when hittn' the switches..

RESULTS;

if it doesn't beeb, hit the switch that activates that bank of 'noids = if it beeps only when you hit the switches to that bank = IT GOOD.

If it doesn't beep no matter if you hit the switches or not, = BAD, stuck OPEN..

Exactly right. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
In my opinion, if you have one that is not working, the others are not far behind. I always replace all solenoids that are in that set just to be safe. It makes sence to some but others ask why. This is one of the reasons why people always say that hydraulics are high maintenance. They replace one solenoid and the next one goes out the following week. But that is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Originally posted by Dumps@Jan 11 2004, 07:20 PM
In my opinion, if you have one that is not working, the others are not far behind. I always replace all solenoids that are in that set just to be safe. It makes sence to some but others ask why. This is one of the reasons why people always say that hydraulics are high maintenance. They replace one solenoid and the next one goes out the following week. But that is just my 2 cents.
Exactlly, it might be a little time consuming but well worth it. The consequnces of not doing it could be costly. :(

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Jan 11 2004, 10:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Jan 11 2004, 10:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Volv_lo@Jan 11 2004, 01:06 PM

dis-connect the lead from your batteries to your 'noids.  make sure the 'noids click when hittn' the switches..

RESULTS;

Exactly right. :thumbsup:[/b][/quote]
I just re-read that, damn I typed that fast... Good thing this is only a forum 'cause the spelling and grammer sucked.. lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts