LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started school a few months ago for autobody, i was wondering how long did it take everyone to fully get the hang of it, i know that alot of it is just a matter of experiencing it and getting your own feel for it but i was just wondering.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
you never stop learning bro-----------

·
Registered
829 Posts
not to put you down but the people that come out of these school dont know shit when i was 10 years old my father always had me training their ass cause they didt know shit. what you should do is get a job as a helper for a bodyshop and go to school at the same time. you will learn alot more at the bodyshop then at school
good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by solo20@Nov 22 2003, 12:12 AM
not to put you down but the people that come out of these school dont know shit when i was 10 years old my father always had me training their ass cause they didt know shit. what you should do is get a job as a helper for a bodyshop and go to school at the same time. you will learn alot more at the bodyshop then at school
yeah i know, i havent learned crap yet all we have done is dent removal, bondo, priming, and topcoating, and ive done all of that already quite a few times, just practice for now. next year well get into major collision repair, never messed with that yet.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I havent gotten into major collision repair but, my buddy has a shop that does so -- i dont have to worry about that :biggrin: ... Im getting real sick of bondo & fiberglassing ...... Nothing but scuff & spray from now on out --- except when the time comes for a COMPLETE refinish --- like my 64.....40 years of paint came off my drivers door & hood tonight.....cant wait to try out this new "POLY" primer that we got in the shop ....... Seems to work mint ... we used it on that 15th anniversary/ wide body Supra..............SUPER HIGH BUILD ..... ;)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i got my sanding down after the first semester and painting after my 4th but you never stop learning

solo 20 people who goto school go so they can get there ase you have to goto school atleast in florida and you need a bodymans licence to work in a body shop down here and once again you need to goto school for that licence

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Nov 23 2003, 03:27 PM
ya,  thats becasue its not primer,  its sprayable filler,  you still have to prime over it.  I use it all the time.
*** Thats what i meant to say but, it just came out as a primer... has some chemicals in it that requires no use of "etching' primer... It is just like bondo ---- the best palce for it to sit is over bare metal........... SORRY for those out there that i have mislead -- i will not try to do it again ;)

There was a sealer used over it -that i know of.... I dont remember any other primer spayed over the top of it tho....I cant remember right now ... I will look into it tomorrow......

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Nov 24 2003, 02:56 AM

·
Registered
855 Posts
Originally posted by chaddyb@Nov 21 2003, 06:04 PM
i just started school a few months ago for autobody, i was wondering how long did it take everyone to fully get the hang of it, i know that alot of it is just a matter of experiencing it and getting your own feel for it but i was just wondering.
Shit I dont know about the guys, but I have trouble just gettin through the door........ Texas was the shit though, they hired me an let me loose....lotta fun, gonna have to move back..

·
NO BITCH!!
101 Posts
Originally posted by solo20@Nov 21 2003, 04:12 PM
thats what im doing right now... :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
i worked in a shop for 4 years before deciding to apprentice, the first 6 months of schooling just touched base on the basics. the best way is to learn from experience, however that doesnt mean u should quit school, there was still a few tips i picked up that i wouldnt have learned otherwise, u might have to sit through 10 hours of learning basic sanding techniques but u might learn a little tip u didnt know ;)

Last edited by old_school_48 at Nov 24 2003, 08:00 PM

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by old_school_48@Nov 25 2003, 03:59 AM
i worked in a shop for 4 years before deciding to apprentice, the first 6 months of schooling just touched base on the basics. the best way is to learn from experience, however that doesnt mean u should quit school, there was still a few tips i picked up that i wouldnt have learned otherwise, u might have to sit through 10 hours of learning basic sanding techniques but u might learn a little tip u didnt know ;)
yeah im picking that up there is little things im learning here and there. and as far as going to school, i have to go, because unless you know someone around here shops wont hire you without going to school or having previous experience unless you wanna make like a dollar an hour, and i gotta pay my house payment somehow :angry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts