LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea, i just got a lincoln, and was wondering if i could leave the stock radio in it, but take the amp thats stock out and put a 600 watt amp in there instead and hook some 12's up. can you do this without having to get a special harness?

searched all over the net couldn't find shit. also, if its fine to swap the amps out, would it be better just to get a multi channel amp and run the subs/mids/highs all off one amp, or just get seperate amps?

if i went with seperate amps, how would i go about hooking both amps up to the stock deck? btw its a 97 town car with the jbl deck and amp in the trunk, and if what i said above was confusing basically i just wanna put a better amp in there and leave my stock deck in the dash, so i can have a lil knock in the trunk without having to get an aftermarket hu.

if your wondering why i wouldn't want a flip up or a new aftermarket deck, its because i like the way the dash looks all stock

·
-394 CUSTOMS-
8,553 Posts
in reality bro thats not a good thing to do. first off the stock power wires for that jbl amp aint gonna cut it for the higher curent that 600watt amp is gonna need. secondly if im not mistaken those stock amps work off of common ground inputs, but i could be wrong. then if you remove that amp all your highs are gone so that would mean a second amp or a five channel amp. the way i see it if you want to leave your stock HU in, just get yourself an amp wiring kit and a RCA line output converter and wire up your system that way, so you will have the stock amp powering your highs and mids and the 600watt amp pushing your subs. just my 2cents :biggrin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes yes yes, finally i got a reply, you just made my day G. yea, i was going to go with either a 5 channel amp or 2 seperates. i neglected to add into the post that i would be running new power wires to the amps. also, i'm not sure if i can even swap out the amps, so far it hasn't been confirmed but i've heard a lot of people say that the dash unit is just an interface or control module, and that the amp is like the "brain" of the system. so i'm not even sure if i could add in an amp or not, thats why i posted this on here to see if anyone knew for sure or not, thanks for your reply none the less, good comment on the common ground inputs, didn't know/think about that, later

·
Registered
307 Posts
man i drive a lincoln TC and wen i put my system in there maybe a week after i got my subs amps head unit every thing sum crazy ass screetching was comin out the speakers wen i stoped at a light and its cuz i fried the factory amp so wut i did was run the interior speakers like the 6x9s and the 4 inch coaxuals or w.e u got frum the head unit so that means run all new wires rite to the back of your head unit and scrap that lincoln shit amp cuz it made me so0o0o mad and it took me a month of driving in silence to find the prob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^^^^^yea, it looks alright, it looks a lot cleaner than if there was a din adapter plate there stickin out and shit, plus jus like you said, anybody looking in the car would be like oh, he just got a stock radio, lets move on to the next car, makin it a sleeper system. and to low roller187, when you had your system in yor car, did you have the stock head unit or an aftermarket? did you keep the stock head unit with an amp other than the factory one? if so how? thanks a lot, purecutt

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
i put a system in a 94 mustang with the jbl system but i changed the radio , leaving the stock amps an speackers, i had to buy a box that i believe changed theresistance or something , it was several years ago, but i believe you would have to have the same type of thing..... im not 100% sure.... i know theres a bypass harness for the stock amps avaliable though.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^^^^^ such as??? also, will what i'm trying to accomplish work? somebody has to know. i've looked at the damned thing in my trunk a thousand times and just aint seein it. so far its looking like if i want subs and a system the only way to go is with an aftermarket hu. hopefully someone knows and tells me otherwise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright, think i may have figured out a solution. do you think a line level converter would work (im talmbout the one that turns speak wire to rca's) ??? could this possibly damge the amplifier i want to add on to the system??? also, if it will work, will it work good, or will it give me shitty sound quality, i.e scratchiness, pops, faded or dull sound??? just trying to cover all the bases

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
just get a good quality line output coneverter either two or four channel and you wont have any problems

1 - 19 of 19 Posts