LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i been thinking of ordering an hid kit for my ride.i already got the halo projectors installed with the factory bulbs but ive seen alot of kits that sell for $40 and others that go up to $180 online..

anybody know any sites that sell them for a decent price and are authentic?? cause i've heard some kits are cheap/fake :0

oh yeah...they're for a 97 jeep cherokee sport..ive checked a few kits on ebay but im stuck on which one to pursue towards buying :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,723 Posts
as long as they come with a ballast and special bulbs its the real deal HID. Differences in price is from name brands, companies ripping you off, and probably some are better quality lasting longer than others. But i see SOOO many around town lately they MUST be getting hella cheap, cuz people are cheap and people have em in their ford pickups, chevy malibus, pretty much anything that ISNT projector :angry:

·
Lowrider
4,144 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Jan 18 2010, 11:17 PM~16334476
as long as they come with a ballast and special bulbs its the real deal HID.  Differences in price is from name brands, companies ripping you off, and probably some are better quality lasting longer than others.  But i see SOOO many around town lately they MUST be getting hella cheap, cuz people are cheap and people have em in their ford pickups, chevy malibus, pretty much anything that ISNT projector :angry:
yeah i hear ya seeing hids in non projectors almost pisses me off as much as fog lights on when its not foggy..... lol

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what would u homies recommend?? 8000K or 10000K???

They're supposenly illegal in illinois but i just dont want to get too much attention :happysad:

any tips when installing??? I pretty much got the whole idea after doing some research online of how they work/installation

·
Registered
985 Posts
Originally posted by klownin04@Jan 19 2010, 02:14 PM~16341074
yeah i hear ya seeing hids in non projectors almost pisses me off as much as fog lights on when its not foggy..... lol
same thing here.....the light output is rediculous and even though its so bright u still cant see shit cause the lights up in the trees and down in the ditch and not on the road haha

·
Premium Member
18,723 Posts
Originally posted by BLVD Kreeper@Jan 19 2010, 07:55 PM~16344110
what would u homies recommend?? 8000K or 10000K???

They're supposenly illegal in illinois but i just dont want to get too much attention  :happysad:
any tips when installing??? I pretty much got the whole idea after doing some research online of how they work/installation
if you dont want attention get about 4000k more like original color. Cadillacs and such have around 6 or 7k i think. 8k or 10k looks rediculous purple with NO light output. The higher the number the worse light output. 4000k is best light output

·
Lowrider
4,144 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Jan 20 2010, 05:32 PM~16354283
if you dont want attention get about 4000k more like original color.  Cadillacs and such have around 6 or 7k i think.  8k or 10k looks rediculous purple with NO light output.  The higher the number the worse light output.  4000k is best light output
i dont know much about them but i have been told by many dists. that the 6k"s are the best output

·
Registered
985 Posts
im planning on doing 3000k in my honda, which is bright yellow, and they go upwards of 12000k which is purple and rediculous, you should go with anywhere between 5-8 k and u should be ok

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
6k its white not blue so go with that

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by klownin04@Jan 20 2010, 05:57 PM~16354616
i dont know much about them but i have been told by many dists. that the 6k"s are the best output

Originally posted by ROBERTO G@Jan 20 2010, 11:05 PM~16359030
6k its white not blue so go with that

6K it is :biggrin:

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
my trucks got the 6k and are real nice i dont even use my high beams out on the hwy at night, they almost make my foglights useless too.

ill see if i can snap pics of it.

everything looks too blue or purple and ugly IMO

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Most factory applications on new cars is 4300K is the whitest light you can get then you can get 6000k which is white with a hint of blue. Just dont go over 8000k it has too much color and no light plus you will atract cops LIKE JUNEBUGS TO A LIGHT :biggrin:

·
0 Posts
difference is the watts of the kit, if you want something that looks good but is no brighter than your stock ones than go with a cheep kit, if you wanna see better and have a brighter bulb pay more for the kit, remember... you get what you pay for, and no there not illegal in illinois. the only way a hid isnt bright is if you get a cheep ass kit, I got the bright ass blue ones can see perfect and havent been bothered about them at all by the piggies. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Originally posted by 32inchregal@Jan 25 2010, 01:41 PM~16405065
difference is the watts of the kit, if you want something that looks good but is no brighter than your stock ones than go with a cheep kit, if you wanna see better and have a brighter bulb pay more for the kit, remember... you get what you pay for, and no there not illegal in illinois. the only way a hid isnt bright is if you get a cheep ass kit, I got the bright ass blue ones can see perfect and havent been bothered about them at all by the piggies. :rofl:
Yes it is Illegal if your car did not came with HID's from factory and you add them on its Illegal. The only legal way is if your car comes with factory HID's or if it was a factory option and add that option to your car ;)

·
0 Posts
I've had hids for over a year and havent gotten 1 ticket for them, and there blue as hell, if everybody kept things off there car that were illegal do you think we even would have custom cars. just sayin... :dunno:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
4300K is what you want (pure white). High end sports cars that come with HID actually have 4300k HIDs even though they look blue to you when you pass them in the opposite direction. if you start getting a lot higher or a lot lower you are actually getting a bulb that is most likely putting out less light than your factory lights.

HID in stock housings isn't a great idea either. You stock head light housing is set up to maximize the light from the bulbs by directing the light in one direction (projectors do it pretty good). When you put those cheap HID bulbs in your stock housing it sits deeper in the headlight housing and the bulb does not sit at the correct focal point (the housing it self does not direct all the light in the right direction). Thats why when you see a ricer and it looks like his lights are blue and he always has his brights on its because he has those HID bulbs in his stock headlight housing. Also the wiring in your stock non-HID vehicle is not designed to take the surge HIDs need to start up, so you run the risk of frying your wiring. Do people do it anyways? yes, just be advised you run the risk of ruining your head light wiring.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Something like what this guy has that can be retro fitted into your stock housing is idea as long as you get all the stuff to rewire the headlights also.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2417712

of course it is not DOT approved which makes it illegal.

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by supersporting88@Jan 26 2010, 12:16 AM~16413286
4300K is what you want (pure white).  High end sports cars that come with HID actually have 4300k HIDs even though they look blue to you when you pass them in the opposite direction.  if you start getting a lot higher or a lot lower you are actually getting a bulb that is most likely putting out less light than your factory lights. 

HID in stock housings isn't a great idea either.  You stock head light housing is set up to maximize the light from the bulbs by directing the light in one direction (projectors do it pretty good). When you put those cheap HID bulbs in your stock housing it sits deeper in the headlight housing and the bulb does not sit at the correct focal point (the housing it self does not direct all the light in the right direction).  Thats why when you see a ricer and it looks like his lights are blue and he always has his brights on its because he has those HID bulbs in his stock headlight housing.  Also the wiring in your stock non-HID vehicle is not designed to take the surge HIDs need to start up, so you run the risk of frying your wiring.  Do people do it anyways? yes, just be advised you run the risk of ruining your head light wiring.
the ricers dont know shit about cars anyway, if they did they would find the adjustment screws and fix that shit so the lights arn't in peoples eyes. :roflmao:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts