LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i decided to cram two threads into one...

1) I have two 15" JL Audio W3s (if someone wants to buy them, $300 and they're yours) in two seperate boxes, in the trunk... however everyone's said to me that they don't hit as hard as they should... i've had my memphis 1000W D class amp tested, and it's OK, and i've had my subs tested, and they're both OK too, so i'm guessing they're hitting hard, it's just coming through the car (so the bass is all in the trunk)... now porting the boxes NUMEROUS people have told me doesn't work on the setup i have, so what should i do? i'm getting desperate.

2) As soon as i get rid of these bitches, i'm going to get brand new subs (i'd like to stay with the amp i've got though, and if i have to, i'll get more of the same amp). Now i'm thinking either going with two (one in the next month, and a second one a few months from now, when i get the money): 15" Kicker L7s, or 15" Adire Brahmas, or 15" Adire Shivas, or 15" Resonant Engineering XXXs, or 15" RE SEs.

Now which of those above mentioned 5 subwoofers is the best as far as pounding out bass... remember these are going in a 1980 cadillac, in the (sealed) trunk, and i want bass to be heard outside the car as much as inside, although preferably only when i want it to (like if i open the windows or something... so i can show those kids with their "systems" whats up when i pull up next to them at traffic lights). i was thinking of going with XXX, because i've heard they hit hard as hell, regardless where they're placed (like in my trunk ;) :D).

what are you guys experience on this?

Any suggestions? Legit ones too, please, not what you've heard, because i've "heard" that JL Audio 15" W3s are awesome ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
You will not go wrong with a RE XXX..........1-15" XXX with 1000 wrms beat out 2-12" L7's with 1000 wrms

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
15" Kicker L7s, or 15" Adire Brahmas, or 15" Adire Shivas, or 15" Resonant Engineering XXXs, or 15" RE SEs.

Of the 5 listed. . . the XXX or Brahmas is your best bet. FYI, Shivas only come in 12's.

If you want to get a little more serious about SPL, Digital Designs, TREO, or MMATS Juggy would be a better choice for SPL. . But the Brahma or XXX would be the best route for a loud, well rounded sub.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i've heard the solo-x is loud too, but it's an 18" sub with like 6000 W RMS.

i want to be able to take two 15" L7s... would one 15" XXX be able to do that? (with the right power to it) or should i go with two 12" XXXs, or just get one 15" XXX for now and then later add a second.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also remember these are going to be going in a SEALED 1980 cadillac fleetwood brougham trunk, that's the problem with the 15" W3s i have at the moment: you can hear virutally no bass, and i've had the subs and amp checked, and they're both fine, yet they're not hitting like they should, i assume because the trunk's sealed so well

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well should i get L7s or RE XXX? what's best as far as pure out THUMPING... that can be heard inside and outside the cadillac... SQ is not that big of a deal, but i just want loads of bass...

also, i've got a 1000 watt Memphis class D amp at the moment... i'd like to keep it, and if i have to get another one that's OK.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Both are around $400.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Originally posted by beatbox@Sep 9 2003, 08:56 PM
Both are around $400.
brahmas are 369 straight when you buy em from acoustic-visions.com and they ship directly from adire for free which is nice since they weigh 30 something pounds i dont know about the xxx though

·
Registered
470 Posts
369 and free shipping?!?!

MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my brahma weighs 42 pounds :-o

oh, i have a 15.. nevermind

Last edited by mrfreshnklean at Sep 9 2003, 10:13 PM

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so should i just go with one XXX? will it sound GOOD in my trunk (which is sealed)? What do i need to feed it? will my 1000w memphis work?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your Caddi's truck is just well sealed. I've hooked up a couple of mid-powered systems in those types of Caddi and they never really hit, til we ported the trunk, either thru the seat or by the back parcal tray. The tray is the best but it's hell getting cut without good equipment. The backseat, were the armrest fall for the passengers is were you want to cut, oh and think about the fabric before you cut, it might lose tension and sag, leather holds decently but have someone sew it back tight. Am I talking too much? :thumbsup:

Last edited by Cutty Low Low at Sep 12 2003, 08:43 PM

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ooooh... so ummm, where the back armrest is, cut out a port behidn that? what tools exactly do i need, and how do i go about it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts