LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i lock the rear of my car up and drive around some times i get this high pitched sound untill i drop the car or come to a complete stop, it mostly only happens when the brakes are applied so im guessing its something to with them? any suggestions on what it might be?

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
next time u drive..
listen at 3 different times..
when under accel, under decel(foot not on gas or brake) or under braking.. if it happens only under brakeing.. then chances are it a brake problem
if it happens under decell then maybe it's a bearing howling that u are hearing..
what kinda car and setup do you have.
maybe that will help us give u some better ideas.
layta

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
try lifting it all the way and then putting a jack under the pumpkin.. get the rear wheels off the ground.. start it up and put it in drive.. see where the noise is commin from.. i'd get some help from someone just so one can stay in the car and the other can walk around and listen to where the noise may be commin from..
it's strange that it only happens when the brakes are applied.. kinda points to the brakes as the cause.. but check it out.
layta

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That makes sense, but would he have to worry about maxing out the U-joints with 8's in the back?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got my friend to drive the car down the block when it was all locked up yesterday, it seems to be the wrost when it is decelerating/braking, you can barely hear it until it starts slowing down, and its getts quite loud, i couldnt get that close but it seemed like it was coming from somewhere in the rear end????

·
Registered
607 Posts
sounds like driveline.. normally when yo drive locked up it will rub till you tap tha rear down to take the stress off of it or you can get a custom driveline for about 150. never her=ard it do it with 8's though. hope thats it, good luck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Originally posted by HiLow@Sep 25 2003, 02:03 PM~1104276
i got my friend to drive the car down the block when it was all locked up yesterday, it seems to be the wrost when it is decelerating/braking, you can barely hear it until it starts slowing down, and its getts quite loud, i couldnt get that close but it seemed like it was coming from somewhere in the rear end????
sounds like u-joints to me,slower the more pronounced it it ,the faster you go the less

1 - 13 of 13 Posts