LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times, but i'm not much of a stereo guy so i don't even come into these forums. Well, in my daily driver, i get a high pitched wine that comes from what sounds like one of the rear speakers. The pitch of the sound goes up and down depending on the rpm's of the car. Also, it happens pretty often, but it doesn't do it all the time. Here's a quick breakdown of whats in the car, in case someone needs to know. The fronts and rears are aftermarket, the headunit is aftermarket, and i have one 8-inch self powered subwoofer in the trunk with an additional 5 channel 100 watt (i think) amp that runs the cars regular speakers. I'm pretty sure this is a common problem and i know theres some knowledgable people in there that post, so what does it sound like is the problem and what should i check? Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
its usually called engine whine or something like that. It because the rca cable are picking up something from the engine.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what do i do to check or to fix?? gotta keep in mind that i'm completely ignorant to stereo stuff. I think i know what the rca cable is, but i'm not even 100% sure what it is.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
it could be a couple of things. If your RCA's are ran along side your power wire, that could cause noise. Also check the wires on your headunit. If they are crammed in there all crazy, you can get noise. I usually separate the +12V/ignition from the speaker/rca outputs on the deck, that way there is less chance for noise to enter the system.

·
Registered
162 Posts
try seperating the power and rcas its called a ground loop though your picking up whine from the alternator they sell ground loop isolaters at car audio shops..try putting your ground for deck and amp in diff. places

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alot of the time the noise you are describing is caused by a ground loop. Where you ground your amp and your headunit are seeing different grounds, being electronics they try to equalize. The only way they can do that is by what connects them, in this case the RCA. So the noise is caused by them trying to equalize, you can get a noise isolator that plugs into your RCA whic normally helps or you can also try another ground on your amp, the shorter the better in most cases. Another thing that can cause the noise are junky crossovers or equalizers, if you have any of them installed try bypassing them and see if it helps

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i used a ground loop isolater on my car when i had that prob and it got rid of the noise but it made the system quit down also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts