LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i was at my homie's house and he was charging his batts and started hitting the switches while charging, can you do that????? i always just disconnect ground and charge, just wodering... :uh:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
one of my homies did that once on my car and one of my batteries blew up....it wasnt bad the top just came popped off....but still thats not a good idea

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
I do it all the time because I'll be workin on my shit while the batts are charging in the background. Its never hurt anything.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wasnt sure u could do that, i dont mess with the switches while charging, afraid something might spark or something

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
lol,i had a dc to ac inverter hooked up too my multicharger hopeing it would work like a street charger,but that idea failed too work right,maybe if the batterys were fully chargered first it might of kept them a little topped off

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by HydroCutlass86@Sep 14 2005, 05:18 PM~3813517
lol,i had a dc to ac inverter hooked up too my multicharger hopeing it would work like a street charger,but that idea failed too work right,maybe if the batterys were fully chargered first it might of kept them a little topped off
I've often wondered about doing that .... just dont know what kinda amp or watts i would need ...and kinda worried about vibration .. on the charger it self

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
i bought the biggest one wal-mart sold with 2 plug ins seemed too power it up good,didnt go in protect or no fuse blew,i have junk batterys that about had it,i just havent had money too buy new ones yet,so i unhooked all of it

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by HydroCutlass86@Sep 14 2005, 02:18 PM~3813517
it would only work if the inverter and the charger had greater than 100% efficiency

·
Registered
795 Posts
when i do it shuts down my charger

·
Registered
709 Posts
i dont know how true this is but my homies homie was charging his batts and disconnected the charger and was gonna hook up another battery and it exploded. from what he said the fire dept said it was the fumes of the batts so he should have turned the charger off then moved it then turn it back on. :dunno: i think if your hittin the switch and the hot wire comes disconnected off your batts wouldnt the same thing happen especially if the trunk is closed.. :burn:

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Originally posted by 81low@Sep 14 2005, 09:02 PM~3817371
i dont know how true this is but my homies homie was charging his batts and disconnected the charger and was gonna hook up another battery and it exploded. from what he said the fire dept said it was the fumes of the batts so he should have turned the charger off then moved it then turn it back on.  :dunno: i think if your hittin the switch and the hot wire comes disconnected off your batts wouldnt the same thing happen especially if the trunk is closed..  :burn:

batterys do give out fumes i dunno if deep cycles do being sealed?,i try too be safe about it i dont smoke by my batterys,i wont mount my motors close too the batterys cause they give out a spark you can see with the open bearing end caps i dunno i dont trust it better safe than sorry

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Originally posted by ALX@Sep 14 2005, 11:29 AM~3812692
last night i was at my homie's house and he was charging his batts and started hitting the switches while charging, can you do that????? i always just disconnect ground and charge, just wodering... :uh:
its not really good for it. it can kill cells if you do it all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Sep 14 2005, 10:12 PM~3817460
how can you have greater than 100%  :uh:
Forgive him, he's a mechanical guy not Electrical :biggrin:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Heres a no brainer
if you take good care of your shit, dont hit switches while charging.

If you dont give a damn, hit all the switches you want while charging.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts