LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 15 2006, 03:47 PM~5973560
the one in our town is about a joke.

where do you live? it's not bad here, but it's not huge either. i am going cuz any model shows i gotta hit em!
there is another show in October too and shit everytime there is one, i will post for sure!

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by awbcrazy@Aug 15 2006, 04:12 PM~5973798
where do you live? it's not bad here, but it's not huge either. i am going cuz any model shows i gotta hit em!
there is another show in October too and shit everytime there is one, i  will post for sure!
indiana.

The first one i went to, a prepainted amt "pro finish" kit got "best paint" award. i've never went back, lol.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 15 2006, 02:42 PM~5974062
indiana.

The first one i went to, a prepainted amt "pro finish" kit got "best paint" award. i've never went back, lol.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Aug 15 2006, 04:49 PM~5974105
I haven't even heard about it out here.  Last time a judge started banging a model with a pen to check if it was diecast.  Then he picked it up, dropped the hood, and caught it with his leg by slamming it against the table.  There's a good car show that day anyways
couple of our cars got some parts broken...they made us leave while they judged them, and when we came back, there was shit all over the place.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 15 2006, 04:42 PM~5974062
indiana.

yeah that happened to me at an IPMS show fuckin hate ipms.

the thing about the hobby town shows is they are by popular vote. if i see some bullshit i will say something, cuz it's not fair that some puts crap like that on the table.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Aug 15 2006, 04:49 PM~5974105
I haven't even heard about it out here.  Last time a judge started banging a model with a pen to check if it was diecast.  Then he picked it up, dropped the hood, and caught it with his leg by slamming it against the table.  There's a good car show that day anyways

if anyone touches my models at a show they best have some gear on cuz im boxin!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 15 2006, 05:42 PM~5974062
indiana.

paintowned :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am dead tired right now lol
i donno how many entries there were, but there was i would guess over 100. i was rather dissapointed in the results, but i guess i can't blame anyone. the way they judge these Hobby Town contests is by popular vote. most everyone that walked through the store voted, including little kids and people that have never built a model.
i don't want to sound conceited, but i guarantee my models were nicer than 98% that were entered in the two categories. the categories i entered were LowRider and Automotive.....yeah no other ones for cars and trucks. i entered my '53 Bel Air in the lowrider division and got 2nd place to the ones you will see in the photos. keep in mind that the cars that were entered had hand painted bodies, way over sized plug wires, finger prints and glue marks , chipped paint all over them. i have no idea why they got votes.
the automotive category i entered my restored '71 roadrunner, awb weatherd nova, 32 phaeton weathered, 25 T rat rod that i can't show until Chuck finishes his lol. i didn't place anything in the automotive section. i kid you not there might have been 3 models that could come close to the detail in mine, but hey like i said above......
i don't mean to sound like im mad or anything or hurt, but the best thing about these shows is i got to meet several people and got email addresses and phone numbers.
my brother didn't place but we both got door prizes.
we spent the day looking over models, shopping the store, watching slot car racing, indoor carpet racing and outdoor racing on dirt. i took pics of the store and the tracks for those that might be interested to see. i am glad we have such a big hobby town here and yet.....we have TWO of them.
anyways...... i did pick up a coupld of issues of Model Cars and went to Steve Burwell's house afterwards and looked at his models. that dude is AWESOME ...... he wants to hang out and stuff more so i will finally have someone who knows how to build to be around LOL
Hobby Town Contest Photos HERE

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by pokey6733@Aug 26 2006, 10:09 PM~6050239
Damn Bob, you got robbed! Which one beat your '53?

thanks, yeah if ya could have seen them in person.....piles of crappola! but hell i know mine was 1st place :biggrin:
i donno which one they chose actually.....all we got was our name called and told what place we got..... :uh:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, there's a reason they do it by people's choice, likely it's to keep amatuers interested. Pros are far too critical, and in the end what matters is that people have fun enjoying a hobby.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Damn Bro, Looks like you got ripped off. I like your bel air, nice details. Maybe the judges were looking for engine details as well as exterior. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts