LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall i need KANDY chart. the base color chart the marblizer chart and the pearl chart. thanks

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
you have to buy them from HOK and they are not cheap either. No one is going to give you them unless they got new ones. they are painted chips not color copies that's why they cost $$.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was meaning a scanned copy or jpeg.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOURE AWESOME!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Jul 23 2003, 11:13 PM
YOURE AWESOME!!
TY, I must say though, the scanned copies do the real chips absolutly no justice. They do give an accurate picture of the color under direct light though. If there is a HOK dealer near you, go there after you pick some colors and take their book out in the sun... it will help greatly when looking for a specific look.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also these pearls all turn out the same color with a white basecoat right? i mean if i went with white base and 2-3 layers of th paint it would just get darker do to the multiple layers not the base..right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Jul 23 2003, 11:26 PM
also these pearls all turn out the same color with a white basecoat right? i mean if i went with white base and 2-3 layers of th paint it would just get darker do to the multiple layers not the base..right?
from everything that I have tried with them that is correct... but I have gotten the best results with them by using a metallic basecoat first and then pearl over it. They do cover enough though to get the color shown over a white base. They change colors as well, but they do it like a pearl does... it is really hard to explain, but it is like the top of the paint changes as you move it. The lake violette pearl for instance from one angle is blue, but from another angle it is purple. It isn't a dramatic change like kameleons but more of a change depending on the light source. That is why the GTO in XXX looks like a different color in every shot.. each shot has different lighting.

·
Registered
949 Posts
a darker colour base will dramatically change the colour of a pearl compared to over white and could sometimes really degrade the colour effect ,, and over a mettalic base you would loose alot of colour on the flash ,, due to the brightness of the mettalic underneath ..
stick to the base they specify and you will get the same colour ..

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by simple me+Jul 23 2003, 10:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (simple me @ Jul 23 2003, 10:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Jul 23 2003, 11:26 PM
from everything that I have tried with them that is correct... but I have gotten the best results with them by using a metallic basecoat first and then pearl over it. They do cover enough though to get the color shown over a white base. They change colors as well, but they do it like a pearl does... it is really hard to explain, but it is like the top of the paint changes as you move it. The lake violette pearl for instance from one angle is blue, but from another angle it is purple. It isn't a dramatic change like kameleons but more of a change depending on the light source. That is why the GTO in XXX looks like a different color in every shot.. each shot has different lighting.[/b][/quote]
the blue to purple really intregues me those are the colors i cant decide between. i would like something that would give me a kind of compramize.

my planned paint job is to have the body a dark blue/purple pearl and my roof a marbleized bright silzer.

its not possible to make your own pearl from a kandy is it? i mean whats the difference i guess is the question?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by sabre@Jul 23 2003, 11:46 PM
a darker colour base will dramatically change the colour of a pearl compared to over white and could sometimes really degrade the colour effect ,, and over a mettalic base you would loose alot of colour on the flash ,, due to the brightness of the mettalic underneath ..
stick to the base they specify and you will get the same colour ..
Have you ever sprayed these before? I am just curious cuz you seem to be talking about something completely different. You seem to be talking about a dry pearl that gets mixed in paint or clear, like this:

My father in law thought the same thing, he has been refinishing cars for a long time, 30 some years, and he had only heard of that kind of pearl. The designer pearls though are different, they have platelettes in the that turn a slightly different color in certain lighting. That is why they are a pearl, yet they can be used over a primer, and then cleared making them a nice alternative to a basic paintjob. I have seen a lot of people use them as a base, and then kandy over them to get a very nice finished product.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thhat amswered my question TOO^^

·
Registered
949 Posts
kandy is trans colour ,, and uses the reflection from whats underneath to give it s bright appearance ,, which it is possible to get multiple effects from using different coloured bases and candies,,
a pearl is a pigment like mettalic but not opaque It reflects colour on the flash and trans on the other angles ,, sometimes giving one colour on the reflection(flash) and another on the flop where its not reflecting .

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would you say that a kandy is more durable than a pearl?

see if i put pearl over kandy over a base coat thats alot of dough so which would hold up longer.

Last edited by BuThatsaCHRYSLER at Jul 23 2003, 11:41 PM

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Jul 24 2003, 12:28 AM
would you say that a kandy is more durable than a pearl?
durable to what, like UV or more durable to chipping? The clear is what determines how durable the paint is to chipping... but if you read through the tech book for different paints, some of them fade more easily than others. Neons for instance fade much quicker than other types of basecoats. It is much like getting a tattoo, when exposed to the sun, the color will break down and eventually fade, but if you protect it as best you can you can prevent most of it. Some colors though, like light blue, will fade quicker than others, it is all a matter of what kind of color it is and how well it is protected.
If you are looking for a blue-purple, you may want to look at the burple Kandy Basecoat, I have a pic of what burple kandy looks like over burple basecoat, it you put a black base under the KBC it should give you that dark blue-purple look you are going for.....

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THATS IT :0 :0 THATS THE COLOR!!! wow so that ^^ is black base, burple kandy. wow so how many layers do you think that is? like if i had 3-4 layers off that would i loose its changing ability?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by simple me@Jul 24 2003, 03:20 PM

My father in law thought the same thing, he has been refinishing cars for a long time, 30 some years, and he had only heard of that kind of pearl. The designer pearls though are different, they have platelettes in the that turn a slightly different color in certain lighting. That is why they are a pearl, yet they can be used over a primer, and then cleared making them a nice alternative to a basic paintjob. I have seen a lot of people use them as a base, and then kandy over them to get a very nice finished product.
lol ,, thats what I work with ,, I develope paints for a major paint company using the latest technology in pigments and colorants ,,
all pearls come in dry form ,, apart from a very select few eg.. bismuth oxychoride .. and we mix them into our paint systems and sell them to you ,,
I've made effect colours that you won't even see for another 2-3 years thats how far behind the system is..!!

anythin with a high build multiple coats aint gonna be quit as durable as normal paint but I would hold up quit well if applied well ,,..

OH ,, and by the way these days that look can be achieved in a single stage paint .. !!!

Last edited by sabre at Jul 24 2003, 04:17 PM

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so assuming i did 1 white base 1 blurple kbc that would count as 2 basecoats right? are 2 necasarry i mean it is a base would more than one be overkill?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts