LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

hole in dust cap

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Airborne 
#1 ·
i was cleaning my truck and my 4 way fell off my folded up 3rd row seat and put a 1inch hole in my dust cap. does anyone know if fi will sell me a new one? the sub is a 18" ssd ? i just emailed them also. <s>if fi wont sell me one where can i get one?</s> would this one work if i cant get a new one from fi? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-385

:angry:

See less See more
#5 ·
Originally posted by hearse@Jan 12 2009, 12:13 PM~12679993
i was cleaning my truck and my 4 way fell off my folded up 3rd row seat and put a 1inch hole in my dust cap. does anyone know if fi will sell me a new one? the sub is a 18" ssd ? i just emailed them also. <s>if fi wont sell me one where can i get one?</s> would this one work if i cant get a new one from fi? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-385

:angry:
If you're worried about the looks.. order a new one... It wont affect the performance.

#9 ·
Originally posted by hearse@Jan 13 2009, 05:22 AM~12689567
new dust cap is like 10.50 shipped. and no i havent got that piece out yet. when the new cap get hear im gonna break a bigger hole with plyers then get the broke piece out
I can honestly say I have never replaced one of these...how hard is it to get the old one off without ruining the cone?

#14 ·
I JUST RE-CONED A OLDER KICKER CVR,IT WAS VERY EASY BUT I THINK BECAUSE IT WAS A PLASTIC LIKE SPEAKER(AND THE SAME WITH THE DUST CAP).I USED A RAZOR TO OPEN THE CAP AROUND THE SEAL VERY CAREFULLY,TO MAKE SURE I DIDNT CUT THREW THE SPEAKER.THEN I USED THAT BLUE SHIT-RTV,LET SIT FOR ABOUT 15 MIN.THEN HOOKED IT UP WORKS PERFECT.MY WIFE HAS IT IN HER CAR AND HAS BEEN USING IT FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS,AND YOU CANT EVEN TELL ITS BEEN DONE. :cool:

#15 ·
Originally posted by taylorswanted@Jan 13 2009, 08:50 PM~12696015
thin bead of either clear or black silicone should do real nice
Replace damaged or aging dust caps with these high grade units. They are available in four different sizes to accommodate 5-1/4" to 18" woofers. Your choice of either paper or polymer dust cap material. Use speaker repair glue for paper cones or super glue gel for poly cones.

#18 ·
parts express sells the glue you need. exacto knife to take the old one off. or at least on most subs I've seen.

I dont know why they even make subs with seperate dust caps anymore, the solobarics with the solid cone/dust cap were the best looking subs ever, and you could throw stuff at the cone and not hurt it..

#20 ·
Originally posted by Airborne@Jan 13 2009, 09:44 PM~12695403
Use a heat gun (carefully!) to get the old one off. Don't gay, fuck, dick or stupid up a good sub with garbage fucking work done on it. It is way easier than you think. It's just a dust cap. What adhesive are you going to use for the new one?
could have just said dont half ass it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.