LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all right ,,,my radio shack RC (the 64 kind),,is ready to hop,,,,,but my prob is ,,motor size,,and how to wire it up,,on radio control

i can easily hook it up to a long ass wire, and switch,,,but thats corny

so can anyone give me few pointers on how to hook an extra 1 or 2 motors up ,,and keep radio controled

thanx for any help

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im just bumping this to the top,,,in hopes that i will have a magical answer,,when i check back tomorrow

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
For hopping the RC car you will need relays...2 of them for spinning the motor both ways...6v activated relays.
I hooked the relays to the side to side motor solder points on the circuit board...with a small switch I can decide to make the car do the dance moves or the hopping action...in this way I only use the 4 channels aviable.
My car can drive, steer and hop or drive, steer and dance.
I use 2 batterypacks in the back each of 9.6V.
I did some drastic modifications to the front and the back of the car changing the driveshaft hookup and front suspension.
I also hooked up a servo so the car can do front ot back action using the backlift button.
I have to change the backlift motor since it's not strong enough to lift the back with ease. ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
eh i juzt bought the 64'yellow impala from radio shack and i want 2 change the rimz and paint it
but i have no clu on where to get the rimz , can anyone tell me and wut kinda paint i should uze ???

email me at [email protected]
thnx alot eh
peace!!!!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by jevries@May 23 2003, 01:04 PM
For hopping the RC car you will need relays...2 of them for spinning the motor both ways...6v activated relays.
I hooked the relays to the side to side motor solder points on the circuit board...with a small switch I can decide to make the car do the dance moves or the hopping action...in this way I only use the 4 channels aviable.
My car can drive, steer and hop or drive, steer and dance.
I use 2 batterypacks in the back each of 9.6V.
I did some drastic modifications to the front and the back of the car changing the driveshaft hookup and front suspension.
I also hooked up a servo so the car can do front ot back action using the backlift button.
I have to change the backlift motor since it's not strong enough to lift the back with ease. ;)
well,,i guess that is a magical anwser,,,,,thanx man

but thats sound a little complcated for me,,i not very hip with transmiters and recevers and relays and so on

can u tell me if this will work??

i was thinking bout going to the toy store,,,and getting a little cheap $15 RC car,,,and use the back and forth ,,and left and right turning ,controls,,,and just hook up bigger motors so they will go both ways,and put all that stuff in the radio shack RC,,and just use that controler for the hopping

^^^^^will this work?????

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Hey there, I've tried the same with a cheapass toyRC car but it didn't work...why? because it interferred wih the Radio shack's RC even if it's a different frequency. I've tried 2 different RC setups both 40Mhz opposed to the 27Mhz of the Radio Shack car and it failed...strangely I have to say.

But even if it works (just you try it maybe it will work for you depending on the RC car) than you also need to work with the relays...why? because you can't push 7 to 9.6V thru a 3 or 6V receiver unit...it will burn down the circuitboard...because of the high amps.
I will check for you what kind of relays you need and how to hook em up...it's really simple when explained...I have a diagram and the only thing you need do is solder.
With this setup you will need to switch between dancer or hopper but believe me even with this small handicap it's killer!

Maybe you can make a picture of your front setup to check if it all will work? O.K.?

laterzzzzzzzz, J. ;)

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Originally posted by cadillacpimpn@May 23 2003, 08:11 PM
eh i juzt bought the 64'yellow impala from radio shack and i want 2 change the rimz and paint it
but i have no clu on where to get the rimz , can anyone tell me and wut kinda paint i should uze ???

email me at [email protected]
thnx alot eh
peace!!!!!!
:cool:
The rims I used where the bigass Pegasus 1/10 RC rims...cut em up and used the outerrims of the Radio Shack car...I used 2 outerrims for one wheel to get a deeper dish that means you have to destroy 1 extra Impala to get this effect....but you can also check if you can find a custom rim...for instance check your local photoshop they carry a lo of lens converter rings that should do the job.

For paint you can just use regular carpaint (from a can or airbrush).
I've sanded the car with 1000 grid before primering to make sure the paint would stick at it's best also clean it with water and soap and don't put your fingers on it anymore.
After the primer coats sanded it again with 1000 painted it with lot's of thin color coats...in between removing some lint and dust that flew on....after the last coat (20 minutes drytime) I put on the laquer and sprayed also thin coats until the can was empty.
Let it dry for at least 4 to 5 days....than sanded it with 1000, 2000, 6000 (cloth) and finaly 8000 (cloth) the shine is unbelievable.

Hope this will help you! ;)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by jevries@May 24 2003, 11:51 AM
Hey there, I've tried the same with a cheapass toyRC car but it didn't work...why? because it interferred wih the Radio shack's RC even if it's a different frequency. I've tried 2 different RC setups both 40Mhz opposed to the 27Mhz of the Radio Shack car and it failed...strangely I have to say.

But even if it works (just you try it maybe it will work for you depending on the RC car) than you also need to work with the relays...why? because you can't push 7 to 9.6V thru a 3 or 6V receiver unit...it will burn down the circuitboard...because of the high amps.
I will check for you what kind of relays you need and how to hook em up...it's really simple when explained...I have a diagram and the only thing you need do is solder.
With this setup you will need to switch between dancer or hopper but believe me even with this small handicap it's killer!

Maybe you can make a picture of your front setup to check if it all will work? O.K.?

laterzzzzzzzz, J. ;)
damn man,,,looks like u one step up on me,,,i figured that cheap RC car thing,,would have be too easy,,to work,,,nothing is ever simple

do u think,, u can possibly get me a pic of that diagram,,,if its not asking too much

and i REALLY appreceate your help

and my front supension is almost done,,,it seems to be working pretty well,,,ill get some pic up soon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by jevries@May 24 2003, 02:51 AM

laterzzzzzzzz, J. ;)
damn dude your the man when it comes to this stuff, smart as fuck, big props, Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts