1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
brought up building cars...

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
I spent like $1,000.00 on a system, Deck, amps and Subs, and Installed, and then had to take the shit out my car. When I did, I was like this is some bullshit. It was just so simple, so I buried myself in the books, and took courses, went by a local area shop, and just asked alot of questions. Then they asked if I wanted to help around the shop, no pay of course. So I jumped at the chance. did alot of wire running, cutting, fiberglass, crossovers. Spent about a year doing that, and then got offered a full time job working there. I worked there for about 6 months, before I got out the Navy and moved away. But I learned alot. I did the back yard installs for the next three years out my garage. Everyone in my neighborhood had systems done be DIRTY. It just seemed like everywhere I went people had shitty installs, or needed stereo shit installed. I started doing it in 88 and it has been 17 years now. But I got the chance to meet alot of folks, and see alot of cars, in IASCA. But it was all the shows, and meeting the people, and hanging out, people like Alma Gates, and Gary Biggs, and little known guys like Steve Brown, back in the day before he got big, that was cool. People that would spend hours answering your questions. That is what kept me in so long

·
Registered
349 Posts
My friend had a 64 Impala and he had 2 15's..no names, and a amp also no name..wait it said Super Giant Turbo something rether. Then we went to the Stockton Low Rider Show and the cars had big systems. When was Candyman Man , the rapper, popular...you remember the one who went.... I'll melt in your mouth and not in your hand..... thats when I got into the game, I think the early 90's

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
When was that, I think I was at the show, was it at the Fair grounds. One of my boys had a 65 Impala in there, can't remember the name of it, but I got it in one of my old Lowriders

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Yeah I think it was 91, maybe 92, cause I had just got back from the Persain Gulf, and I was on leave during the time, so I am thinking that it was 91

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
to be honest, i NEVER liked car audio until this year, i thought it was all bullshit and a waste of money...for valentines day, my girlfriend bought me an amp and a subwoofer (i already had a deck just cause it was pretty and the door speakers where stock)...i had got it installed and kinda liked the way it all sounded... then i started looking at the way it was wired, i figured out how to take the cdplayer out and saw that the same color wires from the cdplayer went to the amp (RCA's)....next thing you know, im hanging out at car audio shops. the owner was real cool, he would let me stand back and watch and ask questions to the installers and shit... then i came into the caraudio forum of LIL and copped knowledge for 1ofaknd(rough start lol), brahmabrian, and ibanender...by MAY i had read so much of this shit to the point i felt i was capable of an install, so of course, i install my entire system (the new one)... complete success, then i installed my friends system (another success), then it just became a second nature, i dont know how to fiberglass, but as far as building sealed and ported boxes, im pretty confident, already started on my new box, then im gonna do another box for 2 10's for one of my friends... now i got 3 vehicles ready to get installs (i install in parking garages or in front of my house...i know, i know, but its a hobbie, what can i say)...im loving this hobbie man...

cant believe i didnt get into when iw as like 16 or sumthin...

-qs

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by 1lowimpala@Sep 23 2005, 07:40 PM~3874917
Thats cool! so you probly know alot, i'm still learning :cool:

Not really. I got out of this stuff for a few years and the principles are still the same but now with technological advancement things have changed. I never heard of a quad coil till I saw snoopdans setup with the bazooka amps. I looked at all the brands come and go but never read to much about the stuff so I didnt get all the inside scoop on the specs of things

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I started back in 88 with my first pair of Alpine 6x9 subwoofers I bought used off a buddy's older brother... Its been downhill ever since ;)

Only this year ive been competing in SQ and SPL. I had big systems for years, but I was more into body work / paint / hydraulics all that time until recently. I guess I went thru my phases....first was loud ass car stereos at 15, hotrods at 17, Old bombs (40's & 50's cars) at 19, at 20 I did Euro's and Lowriders till I was 26 then started into my speed phase...now im comming back to my roots in 2005 with an SPL Jeep. Funny how it all works out.

Hell, I even had my first ever 15" sub that I still kept from back in 90...an Earthquake EQ-15 ... till just a few years ago when it actually rotted since it was a paper cone. It had some mileage on it by then ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hell, I even had my first ever 15" sub that I still kept from back in 90...an Earthquake EQ-15 ... till just a few years ago when it actually rotted since it was a paper cone. It had some mileage on it by then ;)
[/quote]

So you were the one who stole my 15's.....I just found in my moms garage that we cleaned out some 6x9 woofers made from Jet Sound I bought from Pacific Audio years ago...what memories

·
Banned
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Sep 23 2005, 07:56 PM~3874998
to be honest, i NEVER liked car audio until this year, i thought it was all bullshit and a waste of money...for valentines day, my girlfriend bought me an amp and a subwoofer (i already had a deck just cause it was pretty and the door speakers where stock)...i had got it installed and kinda liked the way it all sounded... then i started looking at the way it was wired, i figured out how to take the cdplayer out and saw that the same color wires from the cdplayer went to the amp (RCA's)....next thing you know, im hanging out at car audio shops. the owner was real cool, he would let me stand back and watch and ask questions to the installers and shit... then i came into the caraudio forum of LIL and copped knowledge for 1ofaknd(rough start lol), brahmabrian, and ibanender...by MAY i had read so much of this shit to the point i felt i was capable of an install, so of course, i install my entire system (the new one)... complete success, then i installed my friends system (another success), then it just became a second nature, i dont know how to fiberglass, but as far as building sealed and ported boxes, im pretty confident, already started on my new box, then im gonna do another box for 2 10's for one of my friends... now i got 3 vehicles ready to get installs (i install in parking garages or in front of my house...i know, i know, but its a hobbie, what can i say)...im loving this hobbie man...

cant believe i didnt get into when iw as like 16 or sumthin...

-qs
nice! i'm still learning too, getting into shops and stuff as well to learn :cheesy:

·
Registered
223 Posts
well i am a musicians so i like really loud music and my moms stock stereo just wasnt up to par, so then i just started looking around reading magazines and stuff, then i started helping out friends, strated doing my own stuff, then started helping out around the local shop and wha bang here i am today, no smarter then i was 4 years ago

·
Banned
9,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by draarong2004@Sep 24 2005, 12:30 PM~3877386
its a family thing, and my love for making music sound better and better
That would be cool if it ran in my family :(

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by draarong2004@Sep 24 2005, 11:31 PM~3879489
heh
its a badass feeling to be able to tell someone your 54 year old dad has a bangin system...lol
49yr old mother has a 2 15" Treo ssi's and a 1500.1 :0

1 - 20 of 28 Posts