LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gang

i got a old 46 chevy that was stripped of all its radio components when i redid it. how can i add a "current" radio to it? all i want is a cd player/radio that i can listen to. i have speaker openings in the rear so i will only run rear speakers..all i need it juice to power on the radio

any adivce?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
im not a pro or anywhere near it, but since noone else has replied, heres my input

run a fused wire to the batteries positive terminal, and call that your constant,

run another fused wire with a hidden switch and call that your accesory power wire
(unless you have a switched power source in the bomb, ive never messed with bombs so i wouldnt know, btw this wire will be the one that turns the radio on and off, where the constant will be your memory etc wire)
both of the above will be positive
ground the black wire

then run your speaker leads to the speakers, wherever it is you plan on puttin em.

as far as installation, most of the time i hear or read about people hiding their modern headunits to keep the classic look, doesnt make sense to have a bomb with a futuristic glow comin from inside.

most of the time i also read or hear about it being hidden in the glovebox or under the seat etc etc and a remote used with it

if this didnt help sorry

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by OffThaHorseCEO@Aug 15 2005, 10:54 AM~3626208
run a fused wire to the batteries positive terminal, and call that your constant,

run another fused wire from the ignition switch for accessory

ground the black wire

then run your speaker leads to the speakers, wherever it is you plan on puttin em.

Yellow - constant power (memory)
red- switched power
black- ground
white- left front pos
white/black- left front neg
grey - right front pos
grey/black- right front neg
green- left rear pos
green/black- left rear neg
purple - right rear pos
purple/black -right rear neg
blue - remote
blue/white- antenna

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta@Aug 15 2005, 02:25 PM~3627500
Yellow - constant power (memory)
red- switched power
black- ground
white- left front pos
white/black- left front neg
grey - right front pos
grey/black- right front neg
green- left rear pos
green/black- left rear neg
purple - right rear pos
purple/black -right rear neg
blue - remote
blue/white- antenna
o yea, guess i shoulda mentioned that too huh? :biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by oldmemoriesLACO@Aug 15 2005, 06:23 PM~3628598
thanks
i am going to try it as soon as i get my radio
If it was me, I would go look for an original radio to fill the cavity to keep it OG, and then get yourself a hide away XM or Sirrus Radio unit so that you can be OG, and Up to date.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
That is what I am talking about. You can get a step down for the 12 volt system to run your radio. so that you still have a functional radio. And tuck you something new in the glove box.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
installed the radio. ran my rear speakers into the existing speakers holes that someone must have made about 20 years ago. 6x9. ran my power to the battery with a fuse, linked my accessorie to the same cable and ground to ground.
finally got sounds. I just need to buy a glove box to keep it in and we are set to go

thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts