LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of older 15" kicker comp cvrs that used to bang hard... I got them off of a friend and he left them by a window for some time. So when i got them the rubber ring around them looked brittle. After hooking it up they hit really hard and i managed to start tearing them around the ring... the coils are all good but im afraid to bump them and cause more damage. So I was wondering if there is a way to patch them or do i have to send them off to kicker? Anyone with info?

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
From the sounds of it a recone is your only option, that is if the surround itself is tearing. It the rubber gasket it just seperating from the metal chassis of the sub then you can just glue it back together and allow it to set up.

·
Registered
695 Posts
you can get a kit to re foam the outside of your subs from lots of places. I think ebay also sells them from a fiew diffrnet speaker repair guys on there.

it requires this :

you have to cut out the dust cap - to expose the coils inside the former.
then you have to shim them evenly around 3 sides with supplied diffrent thicknesses of paper shim - wich puts the coils of the sub dead center of the pole piece they fit around - wich is what you want. dont want a coil to be off to one side more than the other as it might rub and short out.

once you got that handled - you simply glue back on a new rubber foam ring around the sub and hold it inplace with infinity clothes pins around the sub for the dry time of the glue.

then pull paper shims out of the coil - and glue on a new dust cap.

if you have punched a hole thru the foam outside of your sub - simply use "shoe goo" product on it for repair of the hole. it isnt as good as new but it does work - try to not use more than nessary to make the repair also.

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 79 cutty@Feb 3 2010, 10:52 AM~16499331
From the sounds of it a recone is your only option, that is if the surround itself is tearing. It the rubber gasket it just seperating from the metal chassis of the sub then you can just glue it back together and allow it to set up.

glue it with what glue? it is jest seperating from the metal..

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by baggedout81@Feb 3 2010, 02:03 PM~16500737
Yeah who was it that was re-coning on here???

im down paying to get it done... what does it cost? and if you can get me info on a trusted person let me know..

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by chongo1@Feb 3 2010, 04:22 PM~16501981
nail polish :roflmao:

does this work? wouldn't it dry hard? i tried using superglue and it worked for a while but it ended up drying to hard? even gorilla glue didn't work to well i guess its too much vibration..

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by BrownAzt3ka@Feb 3 2010, 01:09 PM~16498967
I have a pair of older 15" kicker comp cvrs that used to bang hard... I got them off of a friend and he left them by a window for some time. So when i got them the rubber ring around them looked brittle. After hooking it up they hit really hard and i managed to start tearing them around the ring... the coils are all good but im afraid to bump them and cause more damage. So I was wondering if there is a way to patch them or do i have to send them off to kicker? Anyone with info?
call kicker for a repair center

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Originally posted by BrownAzt3ka@Feb 3 2010, 05:17 PM~16502682
does this work? wouldn't it dry hard? i tried using superglue and  it worked for a while but it ended up drying to hard? even gorilla glue didn't work to well i guess its too much vibration..
thats what we used growing up haha :biggrin: i don't know if it would work on these new materials they have now

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by chongo1@Feb 3 2010, 06:05 PM~16503243
thats what we used growing up haha  :biggrin: i don't know if it would work on these new materials they have now

thanks for the info..

·
Registered
695 Posts
if your foam surround is lifted away from the speaker base then this link should help you out.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/refoam.htm

please note how the voice coil is properly shimmed evenly around in step #5 picture.

this is ultra important as the copper windings on the coil could possibly touch the sides of the pole and short out if this step is done improperly. this is why it is also risky to simply try and re glue down the foam surround if it has lifted from the base - as this will allow the coil inside to shift from side to side - and re gluing it with out properly shiming the coil could lead to failure of the sub.

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by brian84corvette@Feb 4 2010, 12:51 AM~16508068
this is what fixes rips and small punctures in the surround foam.

IS THIS GOOD STUFF? wHERE CAN I GET SOME?

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by brian84corvette@Feb 4 2010, 12:57 AM~16508090
if your foam surround is lifted away from the speaker base then this link should help you out. 

http://www.decware.com/newsite/refoam.htm
please note how the voice coil is properly shimmed evenly around in step #5 picture.

this is ultra important as the copper windings on the coil could possibly touch the sides of the pole and short out if this step is done improperly.  this is why it is also risky to simply try and re glue down the foam surround if it has lifted from the base - as this will allow the coil inside to shift from side to side - and re gluing it with out properly shiming the coil could lead to failure of the sub.
I really liked that link... it is very informative.. but will jest any 12" foam surround work? Cuz on these subs the inside is stiched to the cone.. will i have to glue it and then stich it by hand?

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LSHOPPER@Feb 26 2010, 12:06 PM~16733959
hey just glue it back with 3m wheatherstrip glue

alright.. i will when it gets warm out..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts