LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright what all do i ned to get to shoot bass boat size flake i need to know what size and if i just shoot it in my clear or with my base i need to kno what kinda gun to get and size tip.also i wanna run some type of pin stiping or design at the bottom all the way down the truck any i deas?? its an 88 s- 10 drk blu on top silver on bottom it will be goin back the same colors.

Last edited by Day Day at Dec 14 2003, 03:12 PM

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
gun with a big nozzle. i know my friend had his friend make him a cool nozzle piece that screws on to his gun.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
this all depends.......i would...........

shoot mini flake intead of jumbo flake.............

the mini flake will "dance" more when the sun hits it..........

as far as tip size go i have heard people use 1.8 but i use 2.2 which is pretty big i is mainly a tip for primers..........

mix the flake in your clear 1 ounce of flake per quart shoot this over your base..........shoot 2 or 3 coats of flake...........then shoot 3 final coats of straight clear...........

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but will it give me the bass boat look ? i want it to look just like a bass boat i love that shit but if i copuld do it in mini flake that would be a lil different

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Ugly...

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
the micro flake is what you wanna use bro. About 2 or 3 jars...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the micro flake will look like that ? the flake is also shot with the clear over the base coat ? what size jars are you talking bout because they sell a couple different sizes atthe paint store.
tell me the steps 2 shoot it like that ??

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I would use the flake thats like a little bigger then the micro. Here is a pic of when I did my tailgate (currently being redone without the pearl) http://groups.msn.com/BettaPics/shoebox.ms...hoto&PhotoID=55

I did it with 3 coats of clear with 2 teaspoons of light gold flake.
(I know this might not help you out at all.)
I had a 1.7 size tip and needle and it sprayed out fine. The flake that I used aint the biggest and it aint the smallest. With the summer sunlight on it, it sparkled about 30 - 40 feet away and it is some beautiful shit. Flake is so easy to spray also.

I would talk to your paint supplier and ask him if you could mix in the flake in the basecoat, and ask him how he thinks you should apply it. I would put a few teaspoons of flake in the basecoat spray it. Then add about 3-4 teaspoons of flake in the clear. Spray it until you get the bassboat look you want. Then bury the flake with alot of clear. ----Chris

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so yuo think i should shoot some in my base coat then shoot some more flake in the clear with a couple coats of flaked clear then just seal the flakes with clear bout 2 coats should do the trick?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
3 or four coats should be fine to seal the flakes

I think you should put some flake in the base coat so you can get done with the flakings sooner using less clear. I would ask your paint supplier first though if you can mix the flake in with your base though. Then just spray the flake in with the clear till you are sattisfied with the sparkle ,,, then seal it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know you can shoot the flake with the base

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I hate when people use too large a flakes then after some time of the clear settling your flakes pop up & your paint has pimples.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Jan 3 2004, 07:34 AM
here it is i think he said he only used 1 whole jar of flake and a jar of flake is only $40 or so..........the guy who owns it is on layitlow

this is mini flake ...............house of kolors jars i'm talking about.......micro flake is smaller.....like powder..........

oh and dissko...........why do you say it's ugly???? i think it looks sweet.............

why you hatin'?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thanks guiys for all the help so i thik mini is the way to go and also your sayin to use hok flakes?? what about some of the flakes here www.innate.com the old school flakes??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts